Interesting or annoying vr6 moments?

this isnt technically in the correct category, but being quite new to all of this and it being mildly about the state of tune of other vrs here goes! has anyone had any interesting run-ins against other performance cars that have surprised even a vr owner positive or negative? i dont like to get involved with other road users prefering to pootle along calmly, but sometimes i wonder for instance how other peoples cars modified or standard have fared against say some wanabee in a tt (non enthusiast usually) i was flashed out of the way last week by a tt on the m602 and couldnt be bothered getting drawn in, cheers, roper

1147788716_2803_FT0_dogcool04.jpg

i had a feud with a c230 kompressor mercedes, he tried to terrorise me in the fast lane of M1 so i let him go past then did the same to him, only to find he couldnt pull away from me and when he moved into the middle lane again, i absolutely bolted past him. i was very suprised as my car is standard except cat back system and induction

of course.... not getting involved is much better as that pees them off even more!!

quality! keep up the good work chaps, i personally find bm and merc "drivers" tend to think they can do what they want because theyve spent considerably more money on their cars than most people, but they do need a good hiding every now and then. hell of a lot of new m3's around at the moment, dont reckon my vr could do much against one of those! the little cars such as clios and lol corsas and fiesta's are just not worth wasting juice on!

Find the VR a chuckle on dual carrageways, it's just about to get into it's stride when most cars are struggling with wind drag, like to let them tailgate me, then just bugger off into the distance :-p ~Then give them a good look when they finally catch up(i let 'em)

best fun was my old tuned mini cooper(old proper one, not the german rubbish) looked standard but had everything done to the engine(about 100bhp and lowed gearing)- let 'em get up your arse, pull over and sit alongside them as they try (and fail) to get past! The look when a mini starts to pull away after it had been cruising at 95 is priceless.

Trouble was, it needed re building every 10,000 miles

Had a run-in with a Focus ST on a country road earlier today. Actually managed to stay with him too' date=' I was quite surprised.

Good to see all that money spent on cams, exhaust, TB and remap has done some good!! :-)

[/quote']

Nice one. According to the letstorquebhp.com site a lightly modded VR6 golf mk3 with around 205bhp (kerb weight ~1180kgs) will get better 0-60 and 0-100 times than a focus ST. It will get about the same as an astra VXR 0-60 but the VXR has a slightly better 0-100mph time though. I was very surprised. A lightly modded VR is a match for most of the modern hot hatches including civic type r's etc... at a fraction the price. The vr surprises me sometimes although I do take it pretty calmly mainly to save petrol (at least during the week).. I find it easily out paces cars going up hill...even when I'm in 5th...no problem.

best fun was my old tuned mini cooper(old proper one, not the german rubbish) looked standard but had everything done to the engine(about 100bhp and lowed gearing)- let 'em get up your arse, pull over and sit alongside them as they try (and fail) to get past! The look when a mini starts to pull away after it had been cruising at 95 is priceless.

Trouble was, it needed re building every 10,000 miles

im into minis too mate,my last one was a 1.0lter on its 1st rebore it had lightened and balaced bottom end,12g295 cooper head with big valves and double valve springs,and the best it had was a 286 cam way to big for the cc and a 1.5 inch su carb,ran like a bag of crap under 3500 rpm but flew right round to 8500 all day lol,great fun,used to floor it in 1st,come on cam and wheel spin ah those were the days lol

it amazes me how much bottom end pull a performance diesel has?

most scooby,porche drivers think thier cars are unbeatable!the face of a porche driver[boxter/carrera-2.5,3.2,3.6]is a picture when you overtake something and he tries to follow!i mean a shitty 12year old golf has just smoked him.but they never pull up at the side of you so you can laugh at them after-spoil sport!if you want to take your vr to another level-CHARGE IT!

speaking of minis heres a project me and a mate have on the go rare as rocking house shit and just deciding what engine to put in her now what do ya think??

I spent 5yrs rebuilding and selling minis ;) At 1 point had 11 outside my house lol (got a picture somewhere) Anyway stick the civic engine in her!! :@ There is a guy by me that builds the subframes for them , Your then looking at 190bhp !!!! (li) But that would be quite scary in a cab p.m me if you want his number

been looking at fibre glass front ends and maybe a vauxhall redtop as the guy down the road from me has a 212bhp mini seen him rip a DB9 and well he made me look stupid aswell stragely. my mate is making a new hood for me aswell just have to choose the colour of leather!!!

i just managed to pull past an 02 plate scoob wrx,he really didnt look happy lol,i didnt waste him,but i pulled past him up a dc,got up into 4th before we had to brake for a roundabout and fair play to him he outbraked me to the roundabout but me coilovers did the job and i came off te roundabout faster than him and pulled a good 3 car lenths then as hw was goin the same way as me he had to pull in behind me :) he didnt look happy lol

i used to own a scoob brill bits of kit but this 1 just coulnt cut it ;)

it amazes me how much bottom end pull a performance diesel has?

if you want to take your vr to another level-CHARGE IT!

Yep. A 535d absolutely annihilated me the other day. I'm sorry but no VR6, charged or not, can muster enough grunt to argue with over 450lb/ft torque.

Yeah charging makes a difference but you need a decent IC, at least 10psi and shorter gears to make a MASSIVE difference.

I've been having a few issues with my new charger, which I wont go into (long story) But hopefully I now have them sorted and I have been waiting to have a play with a quick car to find out if mine is running properly.

This weekend I had two very interesting races on the way back from Plymouth, I wasted an 04 Audi S4 cabriolet on the motorway which felt wicked, as he stared with mouth wide open as I went by him at 130mph

But I had the best race ever with a brand spanking Audi RS4 and I managed to near enough stay with the bloody thing!!!

He pulled up next to me at some lights in Leeds and we both booted it off the line, he was absolutely gutted when I was still next to him at the top of second gear but he slowly started pulling away in third then we were hitting 100mph and a roundabout was looming!! I asked him to pull over for a chat, he'd only had it a day and proceeded to tell me that he was flooring it off the lights, he said "That is deffo not standard is it?!!!'

Slightly embarrased we had a great chat. He blipped the throttle and it sounded beautiful, but was very surprised with the performance of the VR.

M3's, your next ;)

When going down to the Ace last summer on the A1 I had a long high speed pursuit with a SLK 350.

He was ringing its neck too, he was most surprised at an indicated 145 that i crept past and he had nowt left, smiled from ear to ear.

We nodded respectfully to each other and I let him go in front (my radar was going mad at this point)

well i was mildly surprised the other day when i came up against a brand new Subaru Forester XT 2.5L Turbo at a set of lights about 1am in the morning. he got a small jump off the line due to awd, but i then reeled him in and flew past him. next set of lights he just sat there looking at my VR :P

All i have done to my VR is removed suitcase and got a decent muffler, and got a K&N Cone Filter with an aluminium heatshield so i was pretty happy having beaten a 170kw suby :P

Clio 182's are great to wind up on motorways always pull away with ease, and Mk4 Golf GTTDI's they get a bit of torque and think they are faster than everything on the road, my mate has one with revo on it putting out 180bhp and 400nm and we raced up a dual c way from 40mph and eventually once 3rd kicked in I pulled away he was a bit gutted and I was very surprised! Guess its the power to weight thats so good on the vr!