'Whirring' Noise when cold.

God knows what it is but when i first start my VR from cold i get what i can only describe as a whirring noise coming from the engine. It seems to go up and down with the revs and stops after say 3-4 minutes.

Had a quick skeg under the bonnet today but couldnt see anything obvious,if anything it sounded like it came from the back of the engine.

Anyone else had this or can shed any light?

Cheers

Chris

Mine too. I've put it down to alternator complianing at having to go to work in the cold. :-d Not a problem as long as it goes after a few minutes idling. Definatly only noticeable as it starts to get cold. Whatever the cause, its good to know its an inherant feature of these great engines.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's usually the alternator providing lots of Amps to the battery just after cold start up when the charging system thinks the battery is low.

The output from the alternator can then be 50 or 60 amps and the windings "flex" under the high current for a bit until the battery charges up to voltage.

If the fan belt is slack on most cars it slips and squeals just after a cold start for the same reason.

My son's VR6 has also been making this noise since the Wintery weather came and I think and hope its a natural function of the alternator !!!

Matty. VINCENT COMET 500 (that's my bike).