Tapping noise after new cams and tappets...

Looking for a bit of advice really,

My cars a 2.9 corrado vr and having bought it with it making a tapping sound i presumed would be tappets i re-built the head re-lapped the valves new seals etc and replaced the followers and bought a new set of cams. They were left for hours to bleed down before i started the car up and its run in til its warm and though the noise is quieter its still there.

Its had all new oil etc as the engines been out and im stuck now on thinking of what it could be. Im going to make a mini video tomorrow and i'll hopefully be able to post a link up with the sound on it.

Its my first VR and im just wondering is there anything thats likely to be the cause i may have missed? Someones suggested its the caps holding the camshafts that have worn?

Is it a ticking noise coming from the left hand side of the engine while its idling?Mine was like this and when you revved it ,it sounded like all the tappets and camshaft bearings had knacked. Turned out to be the tensioner. You can check it by taking it off and shaking it, if it rattles, its kebabed. Just feeling for play on the pulley wont tell if its no good, mine had no play when I checked but thought I'll take it off anyway, shook it, sounded like a baby's rattle, shook new one, no noise at all. Been quiet ever since.As quiet as vr's get anyway.

The tappets oil etc were from GSF and all the timing gear has been changed. I'll try running the car more but its very similar to how ti was soi dont think its going to fix it.

Its not sounded cold its sounding like a tank. My mums A4 diesel is quieter lol. Any test for the oil pump i can do?

I'll check the tensioner on the alternator belt if thats the one your talking about? All the timing gear is new down to the washer.

I'll try and get a video on here with the sound.

I think the tensioner he is talking about is located at the back of the engine block on the passagner side. Looks like a large bolt. It's there to tension the cam chain. When mine was making noises this was the first thing the mechanic took out to check. (My noises turned out to be big end bearings and a big bill)

Heres a video of it just after starting:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/martin.campbell4/100_0809.MOV

And heres a shorter one of it once its warm at nearly 100 degree water and 80 degrees oil:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/martin.campbell4/100_0810.MOV

Like i said they were new oil sealed tappets and all the timing gear chains tensioners bolts etc were changed with new.

The aux belt tensioner i havent checked i will do but i need to find a suitable screw/bolt to release the tension.

if i were u i wouldnt drive it like that. are u sure u have oil pressure? does the oil light come on then go out when u start engine? i had the same prob on a cosworth the tappets were noisey after a rebuild just thought it was coz it had been apart, drove it down the road and beat the bottom end out of it, turned out that oil pick up pipe was bent and oil pressure sensor was faulty!!! i never checked the oil pressure light!!! i would defo check for good oil pressure..

mate, put your head rite under the car when its on and see if the noise is coming from the sump area.

to me from the clip, its hard to tell because theres a constant "whining" in the background, but sounds like bigs ends/conrod bearings. is the knock sensor connected?

the more i listen to the 2nd clip (warm) the more i can hear it knocking

Hi.

My car sounds exactly the same after almost the same procedure.

Changed tappets and cams(268/268).

New oil(5/50) and filter.

At the first start it was ticking/hammering like h*ll, but after running in the cams it was as silent as a VR6 can be.

But after 200km it's started to knock exactly like your car.

I havent checked the oil pressure yet but I think that's it the oilpump that's lazy.

But when the engine is cold it runs as normal, but when it's hot it begins to give a valve ticking/knocking exactly as you describe it.

Will take my belt tensioner loose and "shake" it to se if it gives me any ratteling, but my guess is the oilpump.

It "feels" like it could be that.

/Rickard

From my experience of building various engines, it does sounds like a very low oil pressure problem. If you can get a oil pressure gauge to it, would be a good idea. I can't say no oil pressure, because it would seize solid after about 5 minutes. Did you do the work yourself? If so, did you clean the oilways before reassembly? It would be a shame to find out that some crap has fallen down into an oilway starving the top end...

I did do the work myself yes i ade sure everything was clean so thers no blockage also it was making this noise before i did the re-build i assumed it including new cams and followers would solve it. If it is an oil shortage to the head then i'd put it down to being the pump, I'll get t checked and let you know.

there is a non return valve in the top of the block

on a rebuild i found mine full of silicon particles

its situated rear left if you look from the front of the car

i was told it stops the oil flowing back from the lifters so the pressure is maintained while the engine is not running