Which induction kit?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a cheaper option which is what ive used on mine and i think it does just as good a job as the bmc.... (and it looks nicer imo)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94-95-98-VW-Jetta-Corrado-VR6-Cold-Air-Intake-W-CF_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ8025327900QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

not the same oner i had - i had mine from intake_power on the bay and im happy to recommend them too....

yeah the premium goes up for an induction' date=' mine also went up for having the car lowered!

re rolling road tune, no not chipping just get it fine tuned

[/quote']

Most insurers aren't interested in cosmetic mods, mine weren't interested in the fact its lowered or has a BMC CDA, they only want to know if I have 40bhp+ above standard. How much extra are you paying?

i had to pay

yeah the premium goes up for an induction' date=' mine also went up for having the car lowered!

also if you change the wheels or if you have it chipped, the list goes on and on !sad

[/quote']

Mate,

You need to change your insurer, I pay no addition for anything except the remap, and I've modded LOADS on mine!!!!!

what insurer do you use?

Personal preference at the end of the day - I've had a BMC & didnt like it but each to their own, my car sounded standard with the BMC which I didnt like, I like a bit of noise. It seems like this induction topic comes up every week! Can someone make it a sticky?!

Personal preference at the end of the day - I've had a BMC & didnt like it but each to their own' date=' my car sounded standard with the BMC which I didnt like, I like a bit of noise. It seems like this induction topic comes up every week! Can someone make it a sticky?!

[/quote']

i get bored of saying the same thing mate! but ive now given in to repitition... ah well think ill go and start a 'What is a highline' thread now..... !lol

well i own a BMC and a ram air pro ram ram air i have on for sound but it suffers from heat soak. the BMC is for power and is used when on 1/4 miles rr etc!!!

so ram air for sound

BMC for power

and the both cost the same

also if you change the wheels or if you have it chipped, the list goes on and on !sad

[/quote']

Whose your insurer? It's not Elephant is it because that is who I'm with (I'm wondering whether they will accept a remap which wont actually raise the power but make it run smoother) - I think raising the premium for lowering the car by 30mm (which is a fingers width) is silly. I'm not surprised about it going up for an induction kit though as I've heard a few companies do this quite often for this mod.

Interesting, I've been doing this debate in my head since before Christmas.

When I bought the car, it had a Ram Air on it but it suffers a little from heatsoak and worse the filtration quality doesn't seem fantastic. The MAF was getting dirty, Vince said he'd had to clean it a few times since putting it on.

It's fairly common knowledge in the industry that valve seat damage occurs from dust particles larger than 11 microns so factory paper filters must filter down to this level for OEM approval.

The actual testing approval is the Society of Automotive Engineer's (SAE) J726. Which tests down below 5.5 microns.

With this in mind, I contacted several manuafacturers of induction kits and panel filters before making my choice as I wanted something that would flow but also provide the same level of protection as the standard issue paper filter.

I tried RAMair, K&N, Carbonio, Green filters, PiperCross, ITG and BMC.

I found that the oiled cotton filter makes were happier to provide info in filtration quality than the foam makers who either didn't know, or weren't saying.

Green rates at 50 microns, not great really, they seem to think that was good though. ;)

BMC didn't know unfortunately.

K&N were very knowledgeable and confirmed all their filters, panel and cone meet or exceed these tests giving a 97-99% filtration quality result (97% required for a pass?).

Carbonio said their filters were "of K&N construction" so maybe they are made by K&N and they just make the carbon bits?

I was going to go for a BMC but their lack of knowledge on that side put me off. They are probably fine being of oiled cotton construction and that's normally better but Green Filters 50 micron statement shows you can get it wrong, to your valve seats, they're rocks. x)

I've gone with a K&N panel filter for the moment and removed the trumpet from the airbox to reduce restrictions. They said the panel for the VR6 is rated to 250bhp/400cfm which should be plenty. They also now do a cold air induction kit called "Apollo" which retails around £170 ish which is rated much higher and is basically a cone within it's own airbox and is easy to access for cleaning unlike some where you'll need to remove the bumper or wheel for access depending on placement.

The panel filter is due today/tomorrow so I'll update after it's fitted.

I've done quite a bit of research for this so hopefully it's useful, but ulitmately, the decision is yours.

The BMC visually looks the best, construction quality is very good but without that final stamp of approval I went instead with someone who could answer my questions.

*Update*

OK the panel came last night and I fitted it today - so what's the verdict?

It's good, flow capability isn't a problem, power and throttle response are at least as good as the RAM air. If anything it's better, but it's cold out tonight and it's all a bit subjective anyhow.

It's also got a good noise, at least from my perspective, you hear the engine note more (than a paper filter), but you don't get the induction kit "slurping" that might not be what some are looking for. It sounds sort of OEM tuned, if you know what I mean.

Back to work tomorrow so I'll get to see if it makes a lot of difference to the car when it's been sitting in traffic etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdo, I was wondering if anyone had the Carbonio(think thats right?) carbon fiber cold air induction kit fitted and if it was any good? Was looking at it on the awesome gti website and looked really good when under the bonnet, had some good stats to back it up as well. It' quite expensive though think it was £160 plus the VAT, but if it's a humdinger it's money well spent

Jim

if you are talking about the BMC CDA then in my opinion yes they are quite good, if you look there has been a few discussions about this and group buys also,

i am currently running a group buy for this BMC CDA for 150 pounds including postage and the additional cost for the rubber hose required to fit it.

take a look - hope this helps

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To be honest i dont think any of the induction kits give any real performance gains. In my experience they may give a couple more horses higher up the rev range but you lose out in the torque department. Only reason I still run my BMC filter is because it sounds faster! !lol For performance your probably better off sticking a K&N panel filter in the std airbox.

Matt

:-)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rod

You are talking about noice ? Get a Milltek exhaust and you will get something really nice. It is louder then they say, in my view at the threshold between a screaming machine and a silent one. I can see that they really measured precisely to get it just right without going over the tope. Better performance.

• 3 weeks later...

Im considering going for the Carbonio over the BMC just to be different ,but would like to know of peoples experience with them.It does increase the intake track which is said to be good for torque!

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/vw%20corrado/engine.html

I am using a K&N panel and standard box at the mo and did notice a difference to paper oe filter. I slight increase in response and induction roar.

• 1 month later...

To be honest i dont think any of the induction kits give any real performance gains. In my experience they may give a couple more horses higher up the rev range but you lose out in the torque department. Only reason I still run my BMC filter is because it sounds faster! !lol For performance your probably better off sticking a K&N panel filter in the std airbox.

Matt

:-)

Well in my Vr I use the Carbon cahrger system from Simota Racing which is patented by them...Its an absolutely awesome filter...

increases in noise and power.....made from carbon and kevlar...

I will post some pics up for you to see.. :)

Ive just bought an induction kit from ebay for £58 including postage. It is a blitz style stainless steel induction kit made by piper cross and comes complete with all fixtures and fittings.

It has made a difference in performance and makes the vr6 sound awesome!

There is also one for sale on ebay at the moment, click on link below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/volkswagen-golf-vr6-induction-kit_W0QQitemZ120011248855QQihZ002QQcategoryZ36680QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• 1 month later...