I have a mk3 VR6 and had a bit of blast with a MK4 GTI a couple of days ago. I always throught my VR6 was pretty quick, it leaves a lot of things (16v clios etc) for dead, but I could not keep up with this MK4. I don't think it is modded as I had a similar situation with another MK4 recently. Please tell me, are MK4 GTI's that quick and if so what do I need to do to be able to sit on his bumper. Oh by the way, even at 80 onwards it would still pull away (not a huge amount but enough to pee me off) ~:(

my mates got a mk4 gti and has been chiped running 202 bhp and around 220 lb torque. and this thing is fucking quick....just keep up wid him in my standard vr. so a standard vr against a standard mk4 gti should be easy....

Thanks for your input guys. In addition to my earlier post I found out that the missus had put 95 petrol in it a couple of days earlier. That does not help. I filled her up with optima and found a 182 sport Clio who was just asking for it. All told it was a pretty good match, he was slightly quicker low down and I started to pull away @ 100. Made me feel better after the MK4 incident ;)

TDI? your vr should piss on that even the six speed one isnt that quick, had a little play with an audi a6 tdi (well he thought he was playing upto 120 mph) i absolutely pissed it once he got the soot blower in the near lane!!! i think he read my rear badge and didnt want to play anymore after that? they are pretty good the tdi but not a patch on a decent petrol car im afraid

hi

my vr's superchipped, decatted, and got a full stainless exhaust and induction kit on it!

and i've left most things in the distance including a lotus elise !lol So you should be able to lose a mk4 in the distance no problem! unless you got problems with your car!

What a load of cobblers I've just read. VRs beating Clio 182s, Elises, Chipped MK4 1.8Ts etc etc...LOL! Keep dreaming boys. How do you actually know these people were 100% committed to the dick measuring contest as you? Just so happens my mates have all the cars mentioned between us, and better, and my mates 182 recorded a 0-60 of 6.01 seconds at the pod.... no N/A VR comes close to that on standard gearing, and you lot reckon a 100K old or so VR can 'waste' one? Hmmmm.

I think a little touch with reality is in order. Anyone can boast of thrashing X Y and Z on a forum where it's impossible to prove.

Oh and MK4s are not lardy, they're only 40 to 50Kg heavier than a MK3 and my mate's 200 bhp/223lbft example with neuspeed bars, eibach springs, konis etc would walk all over most VRs in straight line speed and cornering.

Even when the charger goes on my VR, there are still cars out there that will still beat it, but that's not what having a fast car is all about.

What a load of cobblers I've just read. VRs beating Clio 182s' date=' Elises, Chipped MK4 1.8Ts etc etc...LOL! Keep dreaming boys. How do you actually know these people were 100% committed to the dick measuring contest as you? Just so happens my mates have all the cars mentioned between us, and better, and my mates 182 recorded a 0-60 of 6.01 seconds at the pod.... no N/A VR comes close to that on standard gearing, and you lot reckon a 100K old or so VR can 'waste' one? Hmmmm.

I think a little touch with reality is in order. Anyone can boast of thrashing X Y and Z on a forum where it's impossible to prove.

Oh and MK4s are not lardy, they're only 40 to 50Kg heavier than a MK3 and my mate's 200 bhp/223lbft example with neuspeed bars, eibach springs, konis etc would walk all over most VRs in straight line speed and cornering.

Even when the charger goes on my VR, there are still cars out there that will still beat it, but that's not what having a fast car is all about.

[/quote']

i feel a "my mates got" joke comming here? but lets face it all cars that dont have a vw badge are substandard! unless your talking stutgart or above, so even if my vr was slower than a mk1 fiesta i still wouldnt want one!!! renault can build a 500 bhp car and sell it for a grand & i still wouldnt buy it coz its tin pot french shite with no character.. ;)

the vr rules .in ten years they will be worth a mint . when i drive past any car i feel proud to be in a vr and you can see them looking at the vr badge, thats if you've still got one on the front. i've had 13 golfs now and the vr is the best car ive owned and if any car wins you in any race i wasnt in a mood for a race that what i say to my self or show off. !amazed

i obliterated a modded fiesta st at santa pod i did 15.2 it did 17 something lol

as fvor a standard 182 clio id expect it to be at least vr quick to about 60-70 BUT as we all know the vr comes into its own then due mainly to a fairly broad torque curve the gear ratios r shite mind