96 vr6 1st ever project build thread,

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's alive! https://vimeo.com/127356810 Another box ticked on my bucket list.......own a supercharged car! Love that noise!

Got a few more bits done this week, not as much as I would have liked as works been busy and I've been waiting on bits including the longer belt for the charger that's coming from America and is silly

Finally had some time recently to get a start on fitting the air ride onto the car, I managed to get a hardly used Airlift V2 digital set up with twin compressors at reasonable price, Started with s

Posted Images

Definitely! Going to cry when it gets it's first stonechip though, lol! Going to hold out for a bit longer until the weather improves. Just picked up a few bits for it, so let's just say the budget part of this project has gone out of the window, though I really couldn't say know at the price! I'll get a couple of pics up soon:)

Edited by bennyk

Here we go! egu5utez.jpg

I think I might of just had a bit of a touch! The story is I sold a van to bloke, (we sell a lot at work it's a bit of a sideline for us) and he spotted the VR in the corner of the workshop and said a mate of his had just completely stripped his VR6 as he's making it 4wd r32 turbo(more on this later) basically he had the car since nearly new and put all these bits on it over the years, I only really wanted the charger but ended up taking the lot off him for a really good price;)

Yeah going to get a few bits on,hopefully the exhaust the suspension and the shrick, before I get the car on the road for this year. Then at some time over the next year I want to strip and rebuild the other engine (that you can see in the back of the van) with new chains gaskets and arp bolts as it's done 90 something thousand miles compared to my engine which has done 172k. Never really stripped and rebuilt an engine,about the only thing I've not done to a car, so it'd be a good opportunity to learn a few things! It's also got a pair of piper reground cams in the new engine:). He also gave me a spare bottom end for spares as the blocks no good. So I'll wait till next year to get the charger on and I'd like to get a new bearing and belts for it. Oh and he gave me two gearboxes and one has a quaiffe atb diff in it! So that'll go in with the other engine. The other bits there are a supersprint manifold, eisenmann back box with a vortex centre box,not something I'd spend £300 odd on but I remember hearing a few cars with them on a few years back and they did sound good:)

I just looked up how much eisenmann exhausts are:o weren't sure about it and was going to stick with my miltek, I think I'll have to use it now!! So I cleaned it up;duburedy.jpg4u3u4evy.jpga3aruduh.jpg

The only thing that's annoying is that they've welded the what looks like custom centre section to it!

Then I got these cleaned up,they look to be in pretty good nick,no leaks or anything,then wd40'd up the threads so I'll hopefully get the adjusters moving at work tomorrow as I'll be wanting to run the car a lot lower than he did;) 2esu9uzu.jpgma9aje9u.jpghopefully they'll ride better than the pro sport ones I put on there,then I can sell the prosports because I need to get a bit of money back! This lot was a massive bargain but the money was meant for other things, only boring stuff like a new bathroom suite though so obviously this was more important;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bennyk

Think I'd like to make it all look as if it was there from the factory, no polishing just very clean! It's a bit annoying that the chargers got blue samco hoses with it would much prefer black, so something else to find in the year!

Sent from my iPhone using T

Edited by bennyk

Wow, bet you can't wait to start getting those goodies on :) I'm sure the detail that you have put into the body, then the bay is gonna look just as awesome!!

You lucky tw*t lol :D you know your gonna end up smoothing your engine bay and polishiing the charger etc to make it look all nice :D

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

For some reason it didn't quote these above, but yeah not that much of a fan of smoothed bays. But yes it will be very clean......eventually!

Yeah this was meant to be a little budget project to keep me busy over the winter, just because the car was so cheap and I always wanted a vr6......... and now I'm here!! Think it's going to mean I'm going to have to sell my other toy now:( As I'm not going to have time to keep the both of them plus my daily driver in tip top condition! This is my 'van' all 293bhp of it;)

egahuqy3.jpg

Gonna be sad to see it go,but owning a supercharged vr6 soon makes me think oh well:)

Edited by bennyk

It's pretty much an astra gsi turbo underneath the only bit of van left is the shell,then it's got all the astra Vxr goodies on it, a few other bits and a remap,really pisses the audi, BMW and range rover drivers off in the fast lane of the motorway, Haha!!!!

Edited by bennyk

Another little update of the progress this week,started getting the rear h&r coilovers on,wound down pretty low,have to see how it drives to see if its ok like this,8ypysazu.jpg

Then took the schrick home and gave it a bit of a clean and put new bolts in the front,for some reason had this box of nice shiny Allen key bolts in my shed new they'd come in handy one day! u3ubupyd.jpgtudysatu.jpg6yga8ede.jpg

Then got the old manifold whipped off in a couple of tea breaks,tried the schrick on and realised that hockey puck engine mount spacers+schrick doesn't work:( , well not if you want to shut the bonnet! So a bit of trimming the hockey pucks here and there and I think I've got away with it,but won't really know until I drive it, it's only going to be for the next year or so, as when I rebuild the other engine I've got I think I'll get an r32 sump for it and sit the engine back where it should be. qe9ytema.jpgydu4evaz.jpg

Oh and these turned up, big thanks to calico for these, can't wait to get em painted and fitted! :)jyju3eve.jpg

Edited by bennyk

End of week update, got the fog light vents I bought from calico painted along with my other polo 6n2 smoothed handle and a door moulding which got dropped off of some tressels,epavy3y5.jpge7ejymej.jpgy6emezu4.jpgdydy5aqu.jpg

Then fitted it,still not 100% sure on the colour coded handles and might end up painting them matt black or putting mk3 handles of some sort back in, 6egyju2e.jpg

Then clipped the vents in, indicators needed a bit of persuasion with a couple of hidden self tappers to keep it all clipped in! yrugasyj.jpg9ahy2ahy.jpg

Got all of the h&r coilovers onto the car this week,not sure that the rears are going to go low enough though and then got it on the mot ramp( it won't go up on the 2 post ramps anymore it's to low!) to try the eisenmann/ vortex exhaust on, doesn't fit nearly as well as the miltek and I'm not sure about the tailpipes either, thoughts anyone? Oval Miltek;muvahu7y.jpg

Eisenmann; 5eqyduqa.jpgezy5enyz.jpg

Here's the two of them;9u2y3a8y.jpg

Here's a couple of pics whilst it was on the ramp;9y3yhe7e.jpgezudema2.jpgeba4ude6.jpg

And a before in between and after;sa2e6a6a.jpguqy8a8uv.jpgyjugyrev.jpgnedubera.jpg3ata6ezu.jpg

A bit sad but I'm looking forward to giving it a nice wash a few coats of wax and a bit of tyre shine now!! And obviously driving it again!

Edited by bennyk