96 vr6 1st ever project build thread,

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's alive! https://vimeo.com/127356810 Another box ticked on my bucket list.......own a supercharged car! Love that noise!

Got a few more bits done this week, not as much as I would have liked as works been busy and I've been waiting on bits including the longer belt for the charger that's coming from America and is silly

Finally had some time recently to get a start on fitting the air ride onto the car, I managed to get a hardly used Airlift V2 digital set up with twin compressors at reasonable price, Started with s

Posted Images

Thanks,thought the wheels needed something looked a bit boring all silver! Got a close up today;7a3u9ase.jpg

The oven was empty at lunch today so as I had all of the mouldings and bits prepped thought I'd get a bit of paint on them;ezy7ameq.jpge5y5yse4.jpg

These turned up today,at £20.95 a pair delivered I thought they've got to sound better than the 18 year old originals,that flapped at the slightest hint of volume! symymape.jpg

Also got the rear brakes changed as the old ones were fooked,so replaced them with some m-tec drilled discs and mintex pads;a8eru2at.jpg9yjyvabu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No didn't paint it because I tried and it looked crap! I couldn't get all the corners and bits square enough so it looked like bubble writing! Then I found a few pics of emblems with out it painted and that was good enough for me! The price you get these m-tec discs for is not much more than standard ones and I like to upgrade whenever I have to change the boring bits, didn't want drilled and grooved ones though as sometimes they're a bit noisy. Will get some drilled ones for the front eventually.

Edited by bennyk

Great bit of fine detailing there man! Its the little things that make a car stand out sometimes.  

Question though, when you changed the rear discs and pads, were some of the bolts allan keys? as im having difficulties with mine. 

Cant wait too see this finished though man. Keep it up  :)

Finally got the car on all 4 porsche wheels today,after trying to find another pair of 35mm fk adaptors,(they seem to have been on back order from wherever I tried since before Christmas) I saw a set of h&r 40mm spacers on eBay last week and won them for £51, bargain as they're £140odd new! They are different to the fk's, being studs instead of bolts, but I'll worry about it at a later date by maybe by getting another pair of 40mm h&r's for the front. Here's the pics,

H&R 40mm spacers;hybevapa.jpg

Fk versus h&r;e4aqu8e5.jpg

As the sun came out for the first time in ages decided to get it outside and go next door and borrow the mot ramp as I don't have to use jacks and damage my newly repaired sills, last photo with the old bbs' on one side;e4ysa4ej.jpg

On the ramp, 40mm's on the back 35's on the front for now;nube4uby.jpg9e2uzata.jpg

Also wound the rear coilovers down another 10mm ish, and then back outside;puby2ehy.jpgytupevuq.jpgyrymebar.jpgvune3ama.jpg

And as you probably noticed I cut the screen out this week as it had a big crack in it and had 170k's worth of chips and scratches,thought it couldn't be that hard as we normally have a company come and do it;e3uqe7ep.jpg

I wish I'd payed them to do it! They make it look so easy, what a pig of a job! Just a quarter glass and tailgate glass to remove now then prepping for paint hopefully next weekend.

Awesome work mate. I need a new screen in mine, was looking at doing it myself but have decided it isn't worth me losing my temper with so will pay the £85 to my insurance & get them to bugger about with it :)
yeah definitely let the pro's do that,not worth the grief! .......and scratches on the car and cut fingers!!! Probably didn't help that I didn't have the right tools though!

Not sure about the lights yet Lukey, the lamps are genuine but these black surrounds are the copy ones,I need a n/s genuine smoked hella one because mines cracked and then ill colour code these to see how it looks. I'm not to sure about the twins yet anyway and might try smoking or joeying (whatever you want to call it!) the originals as they're in pretty good nick apart from the lenses, which are on eBay for peanuts.

Edited by bennyk

Not a lot if people do, do they. I see all colours of mk3 with twins and they are still the stock black colour, but it's almost iconic to have the black hella twins regardless. It totally did my head in and mines black magic so wasn't even too noticeable lol

Quick update of the prepping progress this week. First of all I decided to roll the front arches only slightly so that hopefully the wheels won't rub lock and if it does it won't rip chunks out of my nice new continentals! Or ruin the wing,but I wanted to keep the splash guards so I just rolled the top of the arch over a bit and the splash guards should still sit behind the lip,sorry about the crap photos! Hope you can make it out before;y5u8upet.jpg

After;era9a4eg.jpg9unejaje.jpga4azysag.jpg

Finally got a longer bolt for the front engine mount, good old eBay!une7y7ym.jpg

Then started blocking all of the flat areas with 240 grit,loving spending tea and lunch breaks doing this bit......not! dyjupasa.jpgsedu5upe.jpgrequpy9y.jpg2arype5y.jpg

Hoping to get most of it maybe all of it painted at the weekend so any spare time over the next couple of days will be spent with a D.A and lots of 500 grit discs getting everything as flat as possible.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkuhugy6uz.jpg

Edited by bennyk

Got a lot of the golf painted today, was hoping to paint everything apart from the bumpers but ran out of time and the pub next door to work was calling by 3 o'clock! So anyway this is what I got done,needed 2 or 3 hours more of stripping and prepping and got the doors and tailgate off, would have liked to have painted it with the doors and tailgate on but didn't want the paint edges in the shuts;uvyme2y4.jpgy6arepap.jpgemupyvy2.jpg2u8e8ahe.jpgudu8yqeg.jpg Then got it into the oven and up on axle stands with the wheels off so I can get under the arches and sills etc,plus I didn't want overspray on my wheels! And got it masked panel wiped and tack clothed off so hopefully it's as clean as absolutely possible;ujapa5yq.jpgena5ugu4.jpg Then first coat of base, jeze3uze.jpg5ujety3a.jpg A couple of action shots!; yre5uduh.jpgdyhaja5y.jpg Then a lot of coats of base later,the coverage of the solvent base I bought was s#%t to say the least I hindsight wish I'd stuck to water based for this as it would have covered better but it's harder to nib imperfections out of it, anyway pics;ygytu4a5.jpgu2araqe4.jpg6a4esy4e.jpg Then 3 coats of laquer later; zeza7ysu.jpge6emasan.jpgymujadu3.jpgy7e3a9y5.jpg And that's how I left it, going in early on Monday to get it back down on the floor and out of the oven, then hopefully get the doors and tailgate painted one evening in the week! Now I'm going to die on the sofa for a couple of hours cause I feel shagged after that!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by VR6Pete

Thanks for the compliments! Had to make a nice job of it because I hope to be doing the vr6 owners club proud at a couple of shows this year! (-; Anyway popped down to work today to get it ready to push it out of the oven on Monday morning instead of going in early on Monday morning,as I'm trying not to let it take up to much work time....which will annoy my boss.Plus a mate of mine wanted to see it so that was a good enough excuse to go and get it on its wheels and take some pics; ygazepeg.jpgy8yjyjys.jpguvuhegev.jpgdu9u9u2e.jpg I think it's safe to say its gonna be a very clean old golf when it's finished! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk