96 vr6 1st ever project build thread,

Bit of a midweek update,been spending every minute I possibly can doing bits to the car,got the doors and tailgate painted on Monday evening as I was desperate to get them back on the car,as I hate having panels laying around the workshop because they end up getting damaged,in basecoat;uhu7yvu3.jpg Then laquer;ynaby3aj.jpg One of the shortened recess;4yqu5eze.jpg Then Tuesday 10 minute job to bolt them back on before work;u9upepaz.jpg9umypeqa.jpg Doors bolted straight on and fitted perfectly because they had dropped, so before all the painting etc I got them all adjusted up and closing nicely. These turned up £8 off of eBay ;ava6e9ym.jpg Then started the small task of flatting and polishing.... Which is going to take a while! Decided to do 1 panel at a time so I don't completely loose the will to live doing the same thing for so long! So I got a box of 3M 1500 discs and some 2000 wet or dry and started on the roof, basically I DA the whole panel with the 1500 then block out big imperfections that are left with the 2000, so it looks like this;buveva4u.jpg Then cue the polishing; vasyjynu.jpg Sorry haven't got any pics of the finished roof, I have done a quarter though and that looks like this; e8a6ada9.jpg Also looks like I may have located a US rear bumper so watch this space! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by VR6Pete
  • Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's alive! https://vimeo.com/127356810 Another box ticked on my bucket list.......own a supercharged car! Love that noise!

Got a few more bits done this week, not as much as I would have liked as works been busy and I've been waiting on bits including the longer belt for the charger that's coming from America and is silly

Finally had some time recently to get a start on fitting the air ride onto the car, I managed to get a hardly used Airlift V2 digital set up with twin compressors at reasonable price, Started with s

Posted Images

Nearly there with the polishing now,so started to fit it back up,got most of the rear end fitted up apart from the bumper as I'm hoping to get a US spec one, as I'm fed up with having bits of golf everywhere I go (home and work!) and I'm getting impatient and want to see what it's going to look like! So here's a couple of before and after pics;tugebe7e.jpgynynevuh.jpgy8a6ebur.jpg

And a couple of others;8azy7ype.jpgde9uzaty.jpg

Edited by bennyk

Another little update, got a few more little bits done over the last few days including using lots of this basically anywhere I can get it including doors, boot, chassis legs, sills, rear quarters ; gabynyva.jpgabyqyqeb.jpg Been collecting a few new bits over the last couple of months including thesevyqatubu.jpgamezurav.jpg Also got 4 new bumper guides,moulding clips, aerial base, and loads of other bits n bobs. As you can probably guess I wanted to put the side skirts back on so started by re double siding the support strips and getting them stuck back on;be7ynyba.jpg7ehahudu.jpg Then all back on with the new strips and cleaned skirts that had about a 10 kilos of mud and crap behind them;nu2edugy.jpgupe5a2aq.jpg Also got a set of these to fit whilst the rear quarter trims are off, fitted perfectly in the factory holes; busa9ytu.jpgeparupej.jpgtavady4a.jpgytajeraz.jpg A close up of the number plate and boot badge; vytahe4u.jpg All the glass is going back in tomorrow, decided to get a new quarter glass for the drivers side as the rubber was falling to bits. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by VR6Pete

No it needs breaking up a bit! I'm sure it'll look better once the bumpers are on with the black lower spoilers, couldn't decide on which tailgate glass to put back in because I couldn't decide on spoiler or no spoiler! Thought the black spoiler might break it up a bit, but decided on no spoiler in the end..... Hope it all looks good when it's back together now!

Edited by bennyk

Remembered to take a few more pics of the progress today and also remembered when putting the skirts on that it had these protective strips along the top of the side skirt into the door shut;3ymaja5u.jpg

It was bugging me so tried TPS but they're obselete... Well it was worth a try! So straight on eBay and found this stuff anti slip waterproof tape for boats, skin friendly apparently! gy4apanu.jpg

Worth a try so ordered some it was only cheap,cut a bit to size warmed it up as it's quite thick stuck it on and I think it looks ok;a9ymu4uv.jpga5e2y8at.jpg

Aerial was looking a bit sorry for itself;nupe7uva.jpg

So a new seal and a bit of matt black aerosol later;9e3yqy8y.jpgysanutu7.jpg

Also got these cleaned up and fitted,managed to remove them carefully without bending them and they went back on quite nicely with a few new clips;3uha2a3u.jpgusevaqat.jpg

Then got home to a note from TNT through the door saying they'd left a parcel next door which turned out to be this:) u8u8yqaq.jpg

It should've been delivered to work but they got the address wrong somehow,don't think my neighbour was to impressed! It's in pretty good condition just a bit of paint fracturing,all the important bits are fine though. Going to try and get the bumpers painted Saturday after work I hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bennyk

Another update, as you probably noticed went with the glass from the GL tailgate, ummed and arred for ages because I wanted the oe look but I just didn't like it, so no spoiler; uvu4ava7.jpg

Also got a top tinted front screen as it was only a few quid extra, so I thought why not;ezebapu2.jpg

Then got the xenons wired in as neat as possible, all hidden whilst the bumpers off and got the side markers wired in,not the neatest I must admit but it works; ga4asyda.jpga6anavy3.jpg5uvutuse.jpg

Tried the US rear bumper on and it fits spot on;y5a3atud.jpg

So got it prepped,it was a fully painted bumper but the top had been painted black at some point and it'd had a crap repair with filler done at some point so DA'd it all out, heated it right up with a hot air gun and got it straight with no filler in the end just a nice coat of 2k primer; 6yseveha.jpgge4u3e5y.jpg

Then stayed after work today and got the bumpers painted,prepped ready to go;azyqe7y3.jpgyhepagu9.jpg

Basecoat close up ; 4e7e2y2y.jpg

Then clear coat; rytymudu.jpg4a6eqyjy.jpg

These turned up in the week,found someone breaking a black highline on eBay and he did the whole set of black pillars for £75 posted, bargain! Was after a set now so I wouldn't have to rip the whole interior out again when I found a set; enyjugyh.jpg

And started fitting them in between coats of paint on the bumpers and got this far;pebezuba.jpg

That's about it for now, looking forward to getting the bumpers on in the week now so I can start to see what the finished products going to look like!

Yeah not sure how your going to do that without it looking like a bit of a bodge. You planning on having the bumper painted again once you get them fitting? Could send you a couple of close up pics to help you get them in the right spot if that would help? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that would be a massive help. Could you put a tape measure next to the marker holes from the edge of the bumper and from the bottom so I can get them in the right place :D yeah im flushing the number plater recess too so my bumper will be getting repainted.

Keep up the good work on yours though its looking cracking ;)

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

I wished if put my ballasts there, I put my led indicator resistors there an after I got everything back on had the thought but couldn't be arsed taking it all off again lol. Looks like you're nearing the finished product now, you're doing everything first that with hindsight I would do next time. Good work.

that would be a massive help. Could you put a tape measure next to the marker holes from the edge of the bumper and from the bottom so I can get them in the right place :D yeah im flushing the number plater recess too so my bumper will be getting repainted.Keep up the good work on yours though its looking cracking ;)Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Yeah I'll do that on Monday for you mate,at least if you're painting it you can basically cut the hole then 'mate it have it' which is one of my boss' favourite sayings! Lol

I wished if put my ballasts there, I put my led indicator resistors there an after I got everything back on had the thought but couldn't be arsed taking it all off again lol. Looks like you're nearing the finished product now, you're doing everything first that with hindsight I would do next time. Good work.

There's no where else to hide them! Though at that moment when I stuck the ballast on with some really strong double sided tape I did think that if it dies I'm gonna have fun changing it! I have a bad habit of rushing stuff and always feeling the need to get things or projects done as fast as possible and end up doing things more than once and I'm doing my best not to do that with this one. Though I have just been offered a few go faster bits at a really good price, so it might not be finished and on the road as soon as I thought anyway!

Yeah I'll do that on Monday for you mate,at least if you're painting it you can basically cut the hole then 'mate it have it' which is one of my boss' favourite sayings! Lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers mate that'll be a massive help

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Started thinking about fitting the front bumper, so wanted to get a number plate on there but obviously without any visible holes and easy to remove for any shows etc,so knocked up this bracket at lunchtime; yza9a9up.jpg

Thought that attaching it with self tappers would be a bit crap because if you screw them in and out a few times chances are it'd end up falling off with me driving over it! So used a couple of rivnuts so I can use m6 screws and it should last a lot longer;by6ata3e.jpg

Bracket on;9y6evyqa.jpg

Number plate on;e3eqaneq.jpg

Then popped the spoiler on and slid the bumper on; aqy2yhe5.jpg5amy7ehu.jpge5esada9.jpg

Also have won a complete us spec rear bumper reinforcement on eBay for £30 inc postage:) so I'm waiting for that to turn up now.

Edited by bennyk

Thanks mate! I'm nearly finished with the fitting up now, got the rear bumper on with a couple of screws to see what it looked like, as I'm still waiting for the US bumper reinforcement to turn up and got it outside to turn it around so I can polish the other side in better light. Took a couple of pics in the sun;by5uhetu.jpg

Note the wheels sitting in on the front and the backs poking outtyrazyjy.jpg6ure9a2y.jpgsada2e3a.jpg4amarana.jpgedygenum.jpg

Looks a bit orange in some of the photos....it's not! Probably something to do with all photos being taken on an iPhone!

Then jacked the car up and got the front splash guards in after trimming them a little bit around the tops where I've rolled the arches;ramemu5a.jpgqysevetu.jpg

I didn't like not having the black trims(probably got a name) not being there and the euro ones didn't fit so I got a belt sander and made them fit:) before;yzadehy8.jpg

Trimmed a couple of bits, before at the bottom;5a2ahuda.jpg

Then after, much better;yvazuteq.jpg

Then spent ages getting the bumper to fit nicely so I could finally get the grill in with the nice shiny new badges; ne3a3any.jpg

Whilst I did all this I swapped the wheel spacers so I now have 40mm front and 35mm rear, so it now sits much better.

Then decided I really don't like the US front splitter/spoiler it's a big battered and I can't find a decent replacement one ! So I'm hoping to try to make my early euro one fit tomorrow, apparently it's possible. We'll see!

Edited by bennyk