DIY turbo guide

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started my turbo install this week, during the evenings. Turbos are starting to become more popular now, especially as the dollar is so weak at the moment. It would be rude not to capitalise on tha

you should be able to get 4" all the way, thats how its is on mine, but then that how markies done his 4" down to 3" back up

liking the look of this thread. im not realy a mechanic but have a technical background do believe i would be able to carry the fitment of a turbo myself??

Not really, just been driving it :-)

Going up to Vince on the 12th to take the gearbox off as it seems the clutch release fork is bent. Very common problem with uprated clutches. Gonna stick an O2J diesel release fork in, new clutch and the Schimmel flywheel.

Drove a mates bog standard Corrado VR6 the other night and my god was that slow!! Not from being non turboed, but just the stupidly tall gearing and linear, flat feeling power delivery!!

VR6s NEED turbos :-)

• 2 weeks later...

The release fork wasn't bent after all, but I put a beefed up one in anyway :-)

Seems the gear selection issues were down to a seized lower shift cable (too close to the downpipe) and a worn shift tower. Sorted all that and the shift is very nice now :-)

24V is sat in the garage but is a long term project. I'm waiting for a short runner to be made that clears the Corrado slam panel. The 24V head is a lot wider than the 12V one and apparently currently available SRIs foul the radiator when fitted to Corrados. I feel a custom box section slam panel is in order! Can fit a much bigger rad at the same time as Corrado ones are a fair bit smaller than the Golf's.

Out of interest, I worked out the economy with my current map. I did 355 miles on 57 litres and that's 28.5mpg by my calculations, which for a 1300kg 400hp car is pretty good, even by today's standards! Not even a standard R32 can do much better than 25 overall and that's 150hp less....but 300kg heavier :-)

good results kev.. i too have a burned lower shifter cable. it's working at the mo but it does notice.

just signe up for ultimate torque at woodbridge on the 16th august , so we will finally see how good a circa 375 - 400 bhp golf holds up against tvrs, holdens etc.. should be fun :)

Yeah I got used to the stiff cable so didn't really notice it. It wasn't until I compared the old cable to a new one that i noticed how bad it was, LOL!

New cables totally transform the shift quality, but it's a ball ache job.

Yeah good luck with that on the 16th mate, I may even pop down as Woodbridge isn't a million miles away :-)

know what you mean about a stiff cable, i didnt notice it until it refused to go into gear after a session on track..

once it had cooled down properly. it free'd up.

yeah be good to see you.. and fingers crossed the 16th goes well.. :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i have just sat here for over 1 hour reading through 29 pages and im not going to lie to you all...... i understood about 20% of what was being said and about 2% of the acronyms, thats providing tbh= to be honest, if it doesnt then i understood 0%, but it was a great read and a fantastic job you done kev, im really jealous, and what do you do for a living to afford that conversion not once but twice.