DIY turbo guide

It wasn't clear in your post if you were unhappy with the Schimmels or VF, or both, but now I know.

You're the only person I know of who's had that kind of problem with them and after reading your posts, if you speak to them in the same manner, I'm not surprised they blanked you.

I was implying the VF mounts are schitt. The front is just about acceptable as it's isolated by the cross member bushes, but the rear and trans ones are horrid.

Chargecoolers are a waste of time are they? So why is it mine makes the same power as yours at 1 bar of boost as yours does at 1.3 bar then?

Why is it that my CC casing is always cold to the touch no matter how long the car is sat in traffic? Why is it my IATs are always 2-7 degrees above atmosphere all year round?

As it happens, I may well have gone for air-air cooling but you try getting a decent FMIC on a Corrado without making look like a chav'd up chicken mesh special.

Proves what you know about intercoolers doesn't it. What's more effective at cooling hot metal? Blowing on it, or pouring cold water over it?

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started my turbo install this week, during the evenings. Turbos are starting to become more popular now, especially as the dollar is so weak at the moment. It would be rude not to capitalise on tha

you should be able to get 4" all the way, thats how its is on mine, but then that how markies done his 4" down to 3" back up

liking the look of this thread. im not realy a mechanic but have a technical background do believe i would be able to carry the fitment of a turbo myself??

It wasn't clear in your post if you were unhappy with the Schimmels or VF' date=' or both, but now I know.

You're the only person I know of who's had that kind of problem with them and after reading your posts, if you speak to them in the same manner, I'm not surprised they blanked you.

I was implying the VF mounts are schitt. The front is just about acceptable as it's isolated by the cross member bushes, but the rear and trans ones are horrid.

Chargecoolers are a waste of time are they? So why is it mine makes the same power as yours at 1 bar of boost as yours does at 1.3 bar then?

Why is it that my CC casing is always cold to the touch no matter how long the car is sat in traffic? Why is it my IATs are always 2-7 degrees above atmosphere all year round?

As it happens, I may well have gone for air-air cooling but you try getting a decent FMIC on a Corrado without making look like a chav'd up chicken mesh special.

Proves what you know about intercoolers doesn't it. What's more effective at cooling hot metal? Blowing on it, or pouring cold water over it?

[/quote']

Yes but my engine is standard and my bhp figures where after an hour on a dyno in a dyno room with the door shut and a tiny fan cooling it !

How long does a charge cooler take to cool down once warm ?

I rest my case !

As for manners it was you that said vf where crap when no body was asking you ! And i only bought vf because Bill recomended them !

M8 I am a bit surprised at 407BHP on a standard engine... Surely you have engine mods for that power...

Also people have opinions on the best way forwards..... I can only say that Kev seems to know his onions and his advice may be worth considering..

But after all it's your engine and your way forwards..

good luck ;)

lol kevs been on here long eneough for us to know he knows what hes talking about and chargecoolers are defo better than standard coolers anybody who knows anything about turbos or superchargers will tell you that .

Sorry is that because every big hp Evo Skyline Supra Bmw Audi all run charge coolers ? No they dont !

Kev must know better than all them ! Sorry i must be wrong

M8 I am a bit surprised at 407BHP on a standard engine... Surely you have engine mods for that power...

Also people have opinions on the best way forwards..... I can only say that Kev seems to know his onions and his advice may be worth considering..

But after all it's your engine and your way forwards..

good luck ;)

A vr6 motor is good for 550-600 bhp on a stock motor with just head studs and rod bolts ,decomped

There are schools of thought for and against both camps. Ic's work fine when you can get the flow of air over them where as a charge cooler gives consistant results when on a RR session. put the charge cooler in the airstream and you will achieve an even better result. Intake temps are consistantly lower witha charge cooler as against an intercooler its a matter of pure physics.

The big power cars that you quote admittedly do run intercoolers, but thats not to say its the best or most efficient way to get a cooler intake temp and doesnt make it the one and only correct way to do it and make all the other ways wrong.

My 2p's worth.

you make 407hp at 1 bar?

please show us the proof

Do you have any power figures Kev ?

Im not taking the piss we have got off on the wrong foot and i dont want to start a slanging match on here !

Mine would have done better power only my exhaust housing is a bit small for a vr6 !

There are schools of thought for and against both camps. Ic's work fine when you can get the flow of air over them where as a charge cooler gives consistant results when on a RR session. put the charge cooler in the airstream and you will achieve an even better result. Intake temps are consistantly lower witha charge cooler as against an intercooler its a matter of pure physics.

The big power cars that you quote admittedly do run intercoolers' date=' but thats not to say its the best or most efficient way to get a cooler intake temp and doesnt make it the one and only correct way to do it and make all the other ways wrong.

My 2p's worth.

Im not saying that its wrong it just if you are in traffic and your charge cooler temp does rise it take a lot longer to cool down than an inter cooler .

It all come down to ease of fitting for me aswell om my last car that run a charge cooler i had to put my battery in my boot and can't be bothered with that again !

[/quote']

Im also running same set up as kev, but with a V9 charger. The Schimmel cooler and intake do work very well together, my intake temps on flatout runs never gone above 40 degrees and thats on rollers.

Think Bill schimmel knows what hes doing, these set ups have been well tested. Even vince was impressed

with this setup. Think these two guys know a thing or two about building a VR6.

Im also running same set up as kev' date=' but with a V9 charger. The Schimmel cooler and intake do work very well together, my intake temps on flatout runs never gone above 40 degrees and thats on rollers.

Think Bill schimmel knows what hes doing, these set ups have been well tested. Even vince was impressed

with this setup. Think these two guys know a thing or two about building a VR6.

[/quote']

Sorry but who said Bill schimmel does not know what he's doing ?

And yes they work well enough to cool the fastest vr6 ever down !

And if you read i have said they work great on the strip but if and when they get hot they take ages to cool down

do you under stand that now !

One more thing is the price

for your schimmel set up it will have cost you about £1500 where my inlet inter cooler and pipe work cost me about £400

Sorry' date=' you get what you pay for. Long as your happy, im very Happy :)

[/quote']

Now you know thats not true !

....So to recoup, the chargecooler is like a heatsink - it absorbs the temp spikes when they do appear and gets rid of the load once the boost is no more. If you're on a race circuit full throttle all the time, remember that there may be no chance for it to shed the load. Not much use after the first lap, dead weight mostly!

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/intake/intercooler_C20LET.htm#isfmicbetter

Why i like the chargercooler is less pressure drop, infact 0.25 with the schimmel. Im running 12psi pulley and getting near 12 at throttle. Don't foget im using a charger. One guy on Corrado forum tryed intercooler with charger and lost 4psi. Im making 337bhp with 285lbft which is good for a V9 charger :)

Why i like the chargercooler is less pressure drop' date=' infact 0.25 with the schimmel. Im running 12psi pulley and getting near 12 at throttle. Don't foget im using a charger. One guy on Corrado forum tryed intercooler with charger and lost 4psi. Im making 337bhp with 285lbft which is good for a V9 charger :)

[/quote']

To be honest im not really bothered like you said if your happy i am happy !

I only brought it up because kev said my engine mounts are s##t !

This could go on forever saying mines better than yours but im better than that and will stop it now .

What does your car go like ive never been in a charged vr are you happy with it ?

Heres a couple of pics of mine !

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa249/vr6highline/kierons.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa249/vr6highline/kierons014Medium.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa249/vr6highline/kierons001Medium-1.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa249/vr6highline/kierons002Medium.jpg

Got to say your car looks Awesome mate, i would luv to go Turbo next. May be will see.

Heres quick pic of mine.

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1196632533_2420_FT139931_dscf0011.jpg]1196632533_2420_FT139931_dscf0011_.jpg[/lightbox]

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1196632533_2420_FT139931_dscf0013.jpg]1196632533_2420_FT139931_dscf0013_.jpg[/lightbox]

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1196632533_2420_FT139931_jkm_pics_024.jpg]1196632533_2420_FT139931_jkm_pics_024_.jpg[/lightbox]

407bhp your rite we could go on forever here' date=' lets face it where all VR6 power freaks. Im sure Kev meant nothing buy what he said, Kevs a sound guy, i've spoking to him a few times and he really knows his stuff.

Lets just forget intercoolers V chargercoolers :)

[/quote']

Nice car nice and clean too !

Mine dont look like that any moore it got smooth bunpers now 16" colour coded th lines frenched bootlid and no engine , well it has but not in the car i snapped a rod a while back and f#cked my motor in a big way .

Its built again now with a brand new block, pistons,forged rrods and i wont run 2.5 bar of boost this time

Wow, our little set to seems to have kick started this thread again! :-)

I meant to say "In my opinion" the VF mounts are pants, didn't mean to start a war, sorry. Bill would recommend them, he's American and therefore does not care about refinement ;-) I prefer the Vibratechnics personally, but that's because they're rubber and don't shake my dash to peices.

Chargecoolers v Intercoolers. The debate has been going on for years and years and then some more years. I think we can all agree that what makes us happy makes us happy. Air- air, much simpler and cheaper, and lighter.....but on a Corrado, forget it. Chargecoolers get a bad name. Chiefly because they are usually under specified for the job and under engineered. I guarantee Bill's intercooler system will make you change your mind about them. It never gets hot. Not even in traffic. The temps remain consistent under all conditions. It's doing it's job, period ;-)

407hp at 1 bar, erm, I lied, sorry about that!! Because the truth is..... I am actually making 392hp with 11psi of boost after the Stealth Rolling road day on Sunday :-) And yes, Bill's intercooler is partly responsible for that ;-)

I have the print outs, but can't attach them to this site, so I'll try and sort some image hosting.

There are no wrongs or rights in this game, it's personal preference.....