DIY turbo guide

Cheers mate. It's not bad for someone who welds and wires up food preperation machinery for a living :-) This and my previous pipe were the only times he's ever welded exhausts. He should do that for a living instead!

LOL, yours will be fine, although if you're using MIG, you'll never get the welds as tight as that, but do you know what seperates a good weld from a bad weld? An angle grinder ;-)

Yeah the red block is an SX fuel regulator. The wire and sensor on it are for my in dash fuel pressure display.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started my turbo install this week, during the evenings. Turbos are starting to become more popular now, especially as the dollar is so weak at the moment. It would be rude not to capitalise on tha

you should be able to get 4" all the way, thats how its is on mine, but then that how markies done his 4" down to 3" back up

liking the look of this thread. im not realy a mechanic but have a technical background do believe i would be able to carry the fitment of a turbo myself??

Another minor update.

The Audi R8 rubber intake bellow fits like a glove :-) Really happy with how that fits. Not bad for £14!

Most of it is over the metal intake pipe, so shouldn't collapse under boost.

I've also derestriced the airbox by removing the front and upper snorkels. I wanted to use the upper snorkel but it reduces down to 2.5" inside the box, so a bit restrictive for turbo use.

R8_bellow.jpg

I imported this bracket for the Bosch 044 pump from 034Motorsport which looks nice. I painted the base of it and the pump with smoothrite to stop them corroding over winter.

bosch_044_bracket.jpg

Just a couple more bits of exhaust to weld up and a new boost pipe and it's nearly there :-)

I need it back on the road, I miss the acceleration. Every car I drive feels dog slow compared to a VRT!

My welder's current welding on the lambda boss and the other side of the flexi and it's done! :-)

finished_downpipe.jpg

That DP is a sweet bit of kit, You are certinally doing it right this time Kevin

If your welder wants a few quid to duplicate one up for me I would gladly pay him

OK, my welder had a spurt of enthusiasm last week and I've managed to make some good progress this weekend.

Downpipe lagged, wideband fitted and then thrown onto the car -

downpipe_done.jpg

downpipe_fitted.jpg

The ATP heatshield is rubbish, doesn't shield anything and sits too close to the manifold, so I modified it, LOL! Notice also the wastegate fitting. Rubber or silicon vac line just isn't going to last for shit with all that heat, so that and the dump valve are plumbed in with -4 braided teflon. The other benefit of hard line wastegate plumbing is no 'balloon' effect of the line, so it should spike a lot less than normal.

Anyway, the shielding looks a bit heath robinson, but rather that than melted ancilleries -

heatshielding.jpg

All done :-) Just got to plumb in the Bosch 044 and it's ready to fire up!

Looks a bit industrial and not a whole lot different from before, but fingers crossed, it'll be a lot more robust this time round!

finished_again.jpg

Thanks guys! Yeah I need to get myself Youtubed up really don't I.

Took it out for it's first spin last night and I was very nervous turning it over as you can imagine!! Amazingly it fired up straight away and settled to a nice idle with no leaks, exhaust blowing, or other nasties. Drives real nice too :-)

The stock air box sounds fantastic with a turbo, it's got to be done boys :-) There's no loud sucking noises or whistles at all, it's pure refinement....but there's an unexpected meaty induction roar at low rpms when you put your foot down, sounds awesome!

So all in all, I'm chuffed to bits. it even spools a little sooner than before too. I'm getting 3 psi at 3000rpm in 5th. By 3500, it's all there. Must just be a combination of a non cracked manifold and the change of compressor housing (to a non ported one).

Needs mapping though, which Vince will be doing for me :-)

wow Kev that looks immense mate :) and yeah you defo have to get some vids up - if you need someone to come and sit in the passenger seat and record give me a nod fella ;) ;)

Thats just being a brazen tart that is............trust you Ben!!!!

:-p