...sorry if this question's been asked before (and I'm sure it has!):

My 2 previous cars (BMW E36 323i and M3) had timing chains, which apparently didn't require replacement as long as they were kept lubricated and the car serviced regularly. Does the same apply to the chain on the VR6??

Phil

The VR6 VW Manual states that the timing chain should be "inspected" at 100K mate, but not necessarily changed. The problem tends to be with the tensioners and guides etc. anyways from what I can gather, and those will need done sooner or later - at which point your as well doing the chain anyway because it'll only cost an extra few quid.... (full job is a nightmare/box out job tho and will cost a plenty :( )

Guest Olly_K

yep, as yeeha says really Another great idea from VW. "i know, we'll put chains in there so they last ages, but we'll make the tensioners fade at 100k"

The chains stretch a bit too.

Yeah they do, quite a bit actually. The span of chain between the cam wheels should be tight. Mine had nearly a cm of slack at 93K! Needless to say the engine drives like new with new ones.

If the VR had a cambelt, it wouldn't fit in the Golf/Corrado engine bay. It would add at least 50mm width. The reason for the chains is compactness and Audi had to fit chains to the 4.2 V8 to get it in the A4!

so will the chains ever break and kill the engine. or should i just get them changed at the dealers for £350 its got 88K just for a peice of mind it's worrying me this one ? any advice

if you can get them done for that ,im coming too !!!!

so will the chains ever break and kill the engine. or should i just get them changed at the dealers for £350 its got 88K just for a peice of mind it's worrying me this one ? any advice

if you can get them done for that ' date='im coming too !!!![/quote']

crikey...thats a very good price. though you probably can go to 100k without worrying to much. and the chains won't break...the tensioner blade will, cause ing the chain to go scrap and jump some teeth, which will cause the valves to hit the pistons. probably only damaging valve's...so new head.

Guest couzens

The whole job I got quotted a couple of thousand (that's taking the lump out). Both places I checked said to ignore the mileage factor and only worry if they start knocking/making a tappet noise on tick over. Mines just hit 120k but I think I will leave them as the engine seems quiet.

Who's going to disagree then = acf????

Where can you get it done for this price? I'm in bradford & i don't know anywhere that'll do it for that %-6