96 vr6 1st ever project build thread,

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's alive! https://vimeo.com/127356810 Another box ticked on my bucket list.......own a supercharged car! Love that noise!

Got a few more bits done this week, not as much as I would have liked as works been busy and I've been waiting on bits including the longer belt for the charger that's coming from America and is silly

Finally had some time recently to get a start on fitting the air ride onto the car, I managed to get a hardly used Airlift V2 digital set up with twin compressors at reasonable price, Started with s

Posted Images

Ok I think I'll keep the eisenmann then! I was a bit worried it was a bit big and erm.... chav though? It is f^+#ing noisy..... but maybe in a good way, I'm going to need to get the exhaust elongated somewhere somehow though, as it sits well short of the bumper, it's wedged on top of a paint pot in the pics! I know I've got a us bumper, but it sits so far in and I've got no idea how it fitted without knocking on the the floor or axle on the vr6 it came off of!

No not going to be at UD , going to hold off taxing it till the end of the month and after all the work I've done i didn't fancy a 300odd mile round trip as it's first time out!

Marneus I got the handles from eBay at about 4 or 5 quid each posted, they are on there, you just gotta keep looking!

Edited by bennyk

Yeah mate, I keep seeing them but they always turn up when I'm skint lol

We're they easy to fit? I've heard they're a direct replacement.

Your car is beginning to look finished, the home stretch is here! :)

Yeah the handles go straight in 2 minute job mate. Yes very nearly there now a few little problems left to sort out I'm having a spare crank pulley machined down as it catches the chassis leg when the engine is revved because of where I've lifted the engine,then I better drive it as I haven't apart from up the yard since doing all the work, hopefully nothing catches or rubs!

Hopefully be doing that tomorrow:) got the schrick all fitted and finished this week,got all of the ecu, tank and that hidden in the scuttle,so that all you can see is the 2 vacuum hoses going in and back out to the actuator; ypavaraz.jpgvybepuju.jpg4e9u2azu.jpgyhu7upes.jpguraqazyq.jpguvenehap.jpg

Then for the rest of the week it was just more and more polishing and little bits of finishing and sorting out problems like changing the passenger door loom because the central locking didn't work because at some stage I'd broke the little pipe off of the multiplug....doh! udunesen.jpg luckily found one on eBay for £7 delivered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bennyk

Well got the car sort of finished and drivable today still a few little niggles to sort and went with the miltek oval exhaust as the eisenmann required to much bodgery to fit with the us rear bumper and I couldn't be arsed! Heres the proof!ety9a9et.jpg

Loving the difference the schrick makes! I now realise why people payed £2500 new for them! Will get some pics tomorrow of it after I've spent all day cleaning it inside and out,anyre6am.jpg

Edited by bennyk

Got the VR home this weekend,drives really well,just a slight knocking from the rear,so I might play with removing the helper springs and change the top mounts, was very pleased as the standard front wheels rubbed when I first fitted the coilovers which doesn't happen now:)

I spent most of Sunday cleaning the interior, you can imagine what it was like after all of the work the cars had done,so after hours of hoovering,scrubbing and plastic cleaning products it looked like this;arapy8e6.jpg

Going to keep a look out for an oe recaro interior as I'm not a fan of leather. Really want the car to look like it all came from the factory like it,so I preferably want an interior with red recaro badges and rear head rests,gutted as I missed one that went for £127 the other day on eBay:(

A mate has got some high line door cards laying around which I want for the pockets and puddle lights. Also might change the steering wheel for a mk3.5 one.

Then went down to halfords and baffled myself with the ridiculous amount of 'products' and just wanted a decent wax to protect the paint I've spent so long flatting and polishing,anyway got bored and bought this farecla stuff as farecla is based in ware so I thought I'd support a local company! e3y9usuv.jpg Anyway it works well and the car now has a really deep glossy shine after a couple of coats. Though the pictures do it no justice at all, I need someone to take some proper pictures with a proper camera, not an iPhone lol! It just looks orange all the time! Also got a car cover whilst in halfords so the car is tucked up on the drive now;y8ute6a3.jpga4a3ena5.jpg

If the cover scratches it there will be a grown man crying here! Want to get the engine bay cleaned up soon ready for a few shows this year I hope!

Edited by bennyk

Yeah she's on the road and yes I'm itching to get the charger on, but want to leave it alone and just drive it for a bit! Just treated myself to an engine stand only £60,so got the spare engine I got with the other bits on it ready for me to play with over the year! Plus it's far easier to move about now; uneraqup.jpgjuduzyqa.jpg

In between the rain,hail thunder and bits of sunshine today I've got the engine bay cleaned up a bit so it matches the rest of the car! Got rid of some of the cavity wax on the chassis legs, horrid stuff! Here's a before and after of the inner wing; u7a9y6a9.jpgyquju4y6.jpgy8anuhan.jpgvutaqeha.jpg

Even cleaned and polished the inside of the bonnet;qe4e6u2u.jpgemy4avyz.jpg

Did it by getting a bit brave with the jet wash,some thinners on the cavity wax,finished off with a bit of engine laquer, so now it's a bit closer to the finish of the rest of the car; ahegy2yt.jpg

The car got a bit wet for the first time much to my annoyance! But got a lovely bit of beading; ygy9y2ub.jpg

I've hardly driven the thing because the weathers been shit since I taxed it! I've just this minute seen a gritting lorry drive past my house, typical! But yeah from the bit of driving I've done it does make a massive difference,I can see why people spent 2.5k on them back in the day,it almost felt like there was something wrong with it before,like a massive flat spot before 4000rpm, now it just pulls the same all the way through! Would highly recommend them,if you can find one at the right price!

• 2 weeks later...

Not done a lot to the car over the last few weeks,needed some time off! But today I popped into tx autosport in Harlow as they make stainless exhausts, I know them pretty well as they've done a few bits to my van and I want them to make my eisenmann back box fit my miltek centre section,anyway they had a rolling road shoot out going with a couple of spaces left and it was £25 a go so I thought why not! Be interesting to see what 171k does to an engine, the old girl made 177bhp with the schrick,decat and miltek. Here's the graph, duvy4edy.jpg

Will get the video of it up when I figure out how I do it?!

Yeah it's healthy enough,wasn't expecting much more as it doesn't feel that fast. If I was worried about bhp figures I'd have bolted all the other go faster bits I've got laying around on it by now;)

Started getting a few bits to get the interior looking a bit better now, starting with these;beveru3u.jpg

Won this on eBay brand new in box! Still need a n/s one though! du5a8yha.jpg

Edited by bennyk