Well some may remember my last Mk2, A Capri Green fairly tidy shell with a monster R32 rotrexed hormone implant under the hood..

She was totally off the rails and although at nearly 500Brake, was powerful but a loose cannon as far as power delivery counted.

The Quaiffe LSD did sweet FA and driving in the wet was impossible :)

Although all the above seem negatives, I cannot deny it was huge fun that was until several Bosch plugs at 1 week old decided to wreck over a years worth of hard work.

Since the detonation at fighting torque 09' the engine,was split, charger sold, gearbox sold and the front end transmission and brakes where used to convert the caddy van to a vr, the interior was also sold to fund the caddy conversion.

With the old mk2 sitting up on bricks, no bonnet, bootlid, interior or doors, just a bare shell, my mind started ticking.....

Ok, well some of u know of a rather nicely put together mk3 4motion conversion..

Some say before Paul built this, he spent several long hard months working on a mk2 shell with a good mate of his Dom, they spent so long doing everything properly crossing the t's and dotting the i's he perfected the art of converting vw's to 4wd so much so he knew where he could now cut the corners on the mk3 version!

Not only did he convert the thing to take the Haldex system the following was already featured on the shell when I stole it from him:

A functional bios control was installed, giving full control over the 4wd power delivery

Relocation of the Battery to the back seat area

Stripped interior

Roll Cage

Rear strut

Powerflex bushes all round

Big brake conversion

& deleted sunroof

Rallye petrol tank and boot floor pan

And from this, a new breed of mk2 is evolving..

Originally I was going back to the Charged 32' but due to struggling work and money being tight, I have decided to use the 12valve vr lump, mainly due to the fact that they're cheap, and secondly due to the fact that I have 3 complete units available in the workshop! Not to mention, although I loved the power and sheer fact the old engine was a 3.2 audi engine, it was an expensive repair that couldn't be justified. Oh and then there's the noise you get from the 12valve, I missed that more than anything else..

Taking this into account, the 4wd power delivery and the fact that 400brake and 350lbs are easily acheivable through a decent stock VR engine, combined with the weight shaving properties of the mk2 shell A new breed of Mk2 4motion has evolved.

The us spec wings, bonnet and smooth bootlid remain as before but some more changes are going to take place over the next few months,,

The shell is back from having all the prep work done, a new coat of paint and is now just sitting.. waiting..

I'll update as we progress from now on in!

A few teasers to wet ur whistles..

IMG_4678.jpg

IMG_4679.jpg

IMG_4682.jpg

8bf34745.jpg

a05c5767.jpg

d9a076cd.jpg

4d1f6624.jpg

88e0d95f.jpg

0a1ac6d0.jpg

289f2ec0.jpg

7eff212a.jpg

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete, paint job was partly paid by refurb on a pool ;) works out at about £1500 on painting and £800 on prep work.. was fairly high as the roof was shot where the sunroof had been welded up..

Ben, U know me! But I aint tellin just yet.. It WILL be 12valve tho ;)

Hey alex, how u doing..? I'm saving that engine for the mk2 van project next year ;)

I'm currently taking a short break

From this project whilst the vento is being tweeked and ideas are being accumilated for the engine.

Think the team has a plan of attack now and just need finer details like component lists produced ;)

Hows urs running.. Anything new?

Hey alex' date=' how u doing..? I'm saving that engine for the mk2 van project next year ;)

I'm currently taking a short break

From this project whilst the vento is being tweeked and ideas are being accumilated for the engine.

Think the team has a plan of attack now and just need finer details like component lists produced ;)

Hows urs running.. Anything new?

[/quote']

Destroyed my old clutch but got a new one,a rear spring collapsed, destroyed my oil drain but all sorted then turbo shaft split in 2 , but a road of recovery lays ahead hoping to have it back on road in next few months for track day.

Go for a eaton m112 on the 12v. Flows enough for 500bhp with instant throttle response, you know you want to!