Well just picked this up today, its a White N plate VR6 with 79,000 genuine miles, FSH, and its an absolutely cracking example. small area of rust of the roof by the windscreen seal, but its tiny, and will be repaired lol

Collected the car from Newton Abbot in devon, about an hour and a half from me, saw it on PH and turned out to be a cracking example, paid £2400 for the car, worth every single penny.

Car has been fully undersealed including inside the arches, cleaned very well and the paintwork maintained fantastically! The car was modded by a previous owner

Auti TT 17's painted gloss black (by a bodyshop, awesome job)

Coilovers

Induction (not sure what brand)

Powerflow cat back exhaust system

Angel eye headlamps (don't like these but may seperate them and paint inners black)

Cat1 alarm, and a few small bits like chrome inner handles and heater controls

Only have a few pictures of it from today, today i chucked in my alpine I-pod HU, vibe door componants and fitted my high roller dice valve caps (which are scary close to the paint on the wheels when fitted...)

DSC01145.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

DSC01149.jpg

DSC01153-1.jpg

DSC01150.jpg

Plans are as follows

Have exhaust tip replaced by powerflow, possiblt to a twin (current is 4 inch but sounds amazing)

Replace induction for BMC CDA... (maybe)

Either standard smoked headlamps or black angels

crystal black front indicator/fogs setup and side repeaters

paint the calipers (just to tidy up)

lower the coilovers approx 10mm

and other random stuff ill do along the way, so impressed with this car, drives like a dream and the previous owner really did take good care of it :)

Opinions?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers guys,

yeah it is a brillaitn example really, its just getting rid of the bits that let it down... cant wait to be rid of the headlights tbh... also considering a standard white grille with VW badge or painting the debadged grille slats black

Minor updates today, didnt have a huge amount of time to work with, but got some better pictures

Removed the gash mesh in the bumper... was an absolute pig tbh!

DSC01179.jpg

Red Calipers all round

DSC01171.jpg

DSC01178.jpg

Random better snaps

DSC01177.jpg

DSC01176.jpg

DSC01172-1.jpg

Going to have a good go at winding the coilies down tomorrow as it looks as though its on stilts lol

is it originally a vr6' date=' as its older than when they stopped putting the arches on, looks like a smaller engined body, converted to vr6 any chance?[/quote']

Nope it was crossover time, 95/96 was when they started the OB2 engined versions which were de-arched, colour coded, and have rounded side repeaters

anyways.....

Updated

Today i decided that after work i better de-gash my headlights, so one can of satin black and some effort and they are re-born! also dropped the coils a bit, but nowhere near enough lol

DSC01180.jpg

DSC01181.jpg

DSC01182.jpg

DSC01189.jpg

DSC01186.jpg

Not bad for an evenings work tbh...

Firsy off, pressed plates, german font, no euro band, old plates looked a bit shabby IMO, these are a definate improvment.

DSC01223.jpg

DSC01227.jpg

Also fitted a gearknob from a Golf mk5, did require a bit of bodgery to fit but never the less looks much better

DSC01233-1.jpg

headlights have been swapped, swapped the blank angel eyes for MK3 GTI headlamps, then seperated them and smoked them, now look much cleaner and tidier.

DSC01239-1.jpg

DSC01240.jpg

and finally today starting sanding down the plenum (i think thats what it is... lol) in the engine bay, the plan with this is try and give it a polished look, obviously it wont be perfect as im doing it by hand etc but so far its a definately improvment over what it was

DSC01245.jpg

DSC01247.jpg

Cheers now

Update

Contrversial Mod.... Bonnet Bra...

Bought this from an ebay seller for £35, so if i decide to remove its not going to straign my bank account nor car building fund... Recieved it and fitted it to the car, can't say im certain on it, sometimes i look at it and love it, sometimes i want it taken off but im going to leave it in place while i consider

DSC01252.jpg

DSC01270-1.jpg

Decal time

Down and out sticker on... could do with stance on the car now to match the sticker.... lmao

DSC01255-1.jpg

280mm Wheel

My Budget spec 280mm that was fitted to the 25 is now on the Golf :) bought the non airbag boss as much much cheaper, will get a resistor for the airbag asap which i believe are cheap as chips, however my pictures will show my temporary fix

DSC01266.jpg

DSC01268.jpg

to,...

DSC01269-1.jpg

Looks massive in the pics, but compared to the already small VR6 standard wheel.....

DSC01267.jpg

Grille opinions needed....

Photoshopped black grille slats on the car with Bra fitted and not fitted, could do with opinions on this, might vinly it rather than paint tbh... that way if i change my mind its removable easily

blackgrille.jpg

blackgrillebra.jpg

Cheers all :)

to make it easier to polish the manifold take it off and then use a palm sander then some 1000 grit wet and dry' date=' easily done in a day too!

[/quote']

how would i go about removal?

Update

managed to do the grille slats Black with vinyl, took a while but the results were better than expected and i really like it, got some shots of this with the bra fitted and removed for comparison

DSC01278.jpg

DSC01275.jpg

DSC01285.jpg

DSC01302.jpg

DSC01299.jpg

Down and out sticker... hottifically overdone i suspect buy hey....

DSC01295.jpg

Removed the rubber/plastic bit behind the rear badge and attached black badge straight to the metal to give black on white

DSC01307.jpg

And finally after about 2 hours swearing, hitting etc... i got my coilover unstcuk, so got the car on flat ground, measured up and decked it :) its now very very slammed, but doesnt seem to scrub much! win!

DSC01308.jpg

DSC01310.jpg

Finally have new tail lights coming, Red/Smoked crystal, also stubby Sharan style aeriel, and new centre cap badges, so its coming on nicely :) all opinions welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

so, have done a few bits with the VR lately, sorted the oil breather which had a split... lol, cleaned out the throttle body which was clogged with crap.. runs much smoother now

took delivery of these

DSC01376.jpg

DSC01378.jpg

The rear badge is now white with the standard black plastic behind and white grommet so ties in better, still not sure on the lights but will see how it goes

Painted the plastic engine cover rover steel grey... lol, with black lettering and VW logo, and painted between the inlet bits black, still polishing the inlet but havent been assed to finish it yet lol

DSC01419.jpg

DSC01422.jpg

Tha mian thing letting down the engine bay now IMO is the filter, so ive got my eye on either an ITG foam filter which is mahoosive or a BMC CDA, also going to be picking up iridium plugs, performance HT leads, and a decat next month :)

also managed this which was amazing to me lol

DSC01382.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't updated this for ages lmao...

so...

Update!

Looking back at the last one little bits include LED bulbs inside and out, white VW rear badge and white grommet and all the usual little tiny mods. Good ol' ebay.

Bagde

decided i wanted a VR grille badge, found one second hand that needed painting, so went for red... which looked shit lol. So sanded back flat and painted it Rover steel grey... haha, actually looks nice and is kinda subtle still :)

05082010112.jpg

Interior

Fitted dial and heater rings like i did on the Rover-ness, and painted needles red on the dials, this only took fucking ages.. :lol: however it really freshens the inside up a bit, and these have now been complimented by a mates old HU from his Civic type R as he wanted a CD player HU.

30072010088.jpg

30072010086.jpg

08082010135.jpg

Headlighting....

Well after i smoked my headlights which included part of the reflective areas.... woops... i decided it was the perfect excuse for HID's :) as with the Rover i went for 6k, white output light was the goal, got them fitted in no time and they are a massive improvment

06082010117.jpg

When first switched on.... lmao

06082010119.jpg

After warming up a tadge

06082010122.jpg

Performance

The open cone air filter the car came with was loud as hell, but i really wanted to go for enclosed, managed to sort one out shortly after, not genuine BMC but still does the job very well, and it drives much much smoother, the red silicone hose will be complimented by red magnacore leads that are in the post as i type and red silicone hoses

30072010091.jpg

Also fitted a miltek decat, never had one before, and thought bugger it, why not. sounds bloody cracking now and pops a fair bit more, even spitting flames on rare occasions haha

30072010093.jpg

in the process.....

31072010100.jpg

and thats it for the moment really. on the way are the magnecores as said, in the process of a wheel swap which should be good ;) stainless six branch manifold next month and silicone hoses. all in all its going well :)

feel free to voice your opinions or whatever, over and out!

also any excuse to get this pic up from Devon Car Show :)

4850505074_ce9761d70c_b.jpg