golf mk3 vr6 2.8 vs corrado vr6 2.9?

As topic above if put this two vw vr6 together is the rado vr6 2.9 is it going to spin alot faster than the golf mk3 vr6 2.8?My plan is to change my vw golf mk3 vr6 2.8 engine to corrado vr6 2.9engine is it a good idea to do it?Is it worth the effort and cost for the gain inperformance?Please advise?

personally id say too much time effort and money for the amount you would gain. The corrado lump is only 190bhp.

Id just go the turbo or charger route if i was you then you're looking at 280bhp straight from the off...

Thats just my opinion though...

i agree with nat the 2.8 is more than capable of producing 190bhp and tbh has as much tuning potential as the 2.9.the 2.9 may be torqey(on paper) but ive seena few rolling roaded and they never make anything special or any at all more bhp or torque than a healty 2.8..........charge it lol

The 2.9 tends to have a little more power at the top end and it has a higher rev limit than the 2.8, but other than that, it really isn't worth it. I actually prefer the way a decent OBD2 2.8 drives.

God knows why VW bothered with the 2.9. It's not like it was unique to the Corrado in the end, which I think was VW's intention, but another 100cc? Wow, what a massive incentive not to buy a Golf VR6, LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

An OBD2 2.8 Golf is supposed to develop 190bhp anyway, as standard. The engine management and bits and pieces are much better sorted than on a Corrado 2.9, which is mainly a Golf Mk2 with the VR stuffed in. You'd have all sorts of other issues to fit it - loom, ECU and so on. Agree with Admin, why bother. Why not sell the golf and buy a Corrado? Even as standard, no suspension mods, they handle like the dogs danglies and blow the standard Golf VR into the weeds. I know, my son has such a car and it is bloody awesome. And put on an air filter (green cotton?) and Jetex 2 box exhaust and it will blow your ears off under power! Nicely, not chavey. Wonderful.

i have a 2.9 engine in mine but have now made it obd2 yeah its a lot of work to do but i just looked at it wanthing the best of everything (standard wise) .... so i now have a 2.9 obd2 chraged vr6 .... oh and plus i blew the bottom end and needed pistons, block etc was cheaper to go 2.9 than stay at 2.8 .....

See now I have to get my VR on the rolling road coz I have always thot it was faster than the 174bhp it was supposed to have. My old shot to sh*t GTIR engine was putting out 197 and the VR doesnt feel any diff.

I have measured the 0-60 and its around the 6 sec mark, not the 7.4 the book says

the guy i got the vr from put a random cone filter on it but i am thinking of changing it for a differrent one. Although there are many to choose from but been told the power increase is neglible.

Was also going to fit 6 branch coz I thot the air flow would be better and thus increase the power but people here are saying that it doesnt increase the power. Already got ss from the cat back and plan was to 6 branch it with a decat pipe.