• 1 month later...

14/02/05

Right, here's an update.........Stripped the engine bay

85423666.jpg

Surface rust on battery tray.....

85423658.jpg

Ground it all back to metal.....

85423647.jpg

Sealed it all with hammerite and red oxide primer and then welded the smooth panel over and seam sealed it all.....

85423639.jpg

..and here's the bay ready for paint.........

85423633.jpg

Painted smooth inner wings.....

85423615.jpg

...other wing (left that hole for the air flow meter sensor to be popped through - but could have done it without that! :oops: )

85423612.jpg

Finished bay with painted servo, m/c, overbraid on brake pipes etc...

85425491.jpg

Powder-coated subframe, wishbones, full Powerflex bushes, Eibach ARB..

85423609.jpg

Powder-coated front cross member....

85424703.jpg

..and the engine bolted up with colour-coded gearbox, Vibratechnic mounts..

85424698.jpg

..another full frontal.....

85424689.jpg

All this work, including the painting has been undertaken in my single garage, and the man responsible for this automotive mayhem is this little fella........Fatt mk1 (or Dazza!) - keep up the good work dude!!

85423627.jpg

:twisted:

that looks shit hot mate. how much did the powdercoating cost on the sub frame? i wanted this doing but wasnt sure if it would be worth the money as you will hardly see it.

also when you hid the wiring, did you make a custom loom, or have to extend the standard one?

you have done exactly what i am dreaming of doing over the next 4 months. how long has it taken you and what was your schedule like, how long per night did you spend on it.

deffo looking sweet though, you got it running yet then?

that looks shit hot mate. how much did the powdercoating cost on the sub frame? i wanted this doing but wasnt sure if it would be worth the money as you will hardly see it.

also when you hid the wiring' date=' did you make a custom loom, or have to extend the standard one?

you have done exactly what i am dreaming of doing over the next 4 months. how long has it taken you and what was your schedule like, how long per night did you spend on it.

deffo looking sweet though, you got it running yet then?[/quote']

Cheers mate - I got all the powder coating done for £100 but that included front cross-member, rad support, G60 hubs, Mk3 subrame, new wishbones and a complete mk2 rear beam - it worked out cheaper the more items I gave them! ;)

I agree that you can't see alot but after all the effort of painting the bay and polishing the engine, I couldn't neglect the underneath.

The standard loom has been extended and properly soldered/shrinkwrapped etc.

Schedule wise been workign on it since just before Xmas - the perepping of the bay ie. smoothin, welding, sealing, primering has been time consuming and also the fiddly jobs like extending wires etc but we've only really been working weekends and the odd night in the weekday as i'm not in a mad rush to have it ready......hopefully it'll be worth the effort... :?

very very nice indeed.

mkII's are awful for rotting the batt tray out....you should have seen my mates oakgreen one' date=' there wasn't much left! make sure you get some waxoyl in that leg.[/quote']

Yeah, my battery tray was actually quite good as the rust was only on the surface and there was no holes. Once the wiring is complete through the legs , then we will inject the wax into the legs to protect....

;)

Looks great! I look forward to seeing the finished result at Inters!!

I fancy doing a similar "tidying up" of my engine bay when I have the engine out next month. Did you paint the engine bay yourself with spray cans, or was it a trip to the bodyshop?

Who did you get to do the powder coating on the subframe etc?

• 2 months later...

16/05/05

Bit more progress, although it's been slow as I've been away a couple of weekends and Daz has been busy with his new addition to family........but here's the engine bay finally finished....

Polished Stroeve Motorsport alloy PAS and washer tanks, Forge Motorsport alloy expansion tank and polished Eibach Strut brace

96864467.jpg

Chrome/Polished Bonrath Power Rohr, colour-coded airflow meter and Ramair Induction kit

96864472.jpg

The finished engine bay.....

96864477.jpg