Pete's OBD2 Corrado VR6 - On The Road

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's alive!!!  

Went to my local pirtek branch to make up my oil lines as didn't have correct tools here to do the job and wanted peace of mind 🏻 They have done a great job and only £38 - I supplied the li

I went to Stealth yesterday, feeling quite apprehensive! I am the 3rd car that has used their new strapping system, so they can run higher power cars without needing to use glue all of the time, and a

Posted Images

Here's a few snaps from SantaPod on Sunday!

562385_10151541118162230_1762381720_n.jpg

733857_10151443914084132_776317290_n.jpg

902277_10151443548784132_2003445405_o.jpg

894608_10151443538784132_1399654334_o.jpg

Little one loved it as much as I did!

901372_10151443548814132_1149309523_o.jpg

It drove really well, coolant / oil temps good... next on the list is:

Stealth Racing Remap

Stealth Racing "active" 4-wheel alignment

fix my rear spoiler and speed sensor fault (possibly both related as spoiler doesn't raise at 55MPH)

oil change for syntha silver

Bring on the next event :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've been a little busy on the old Corrado front...

Fitted my "tunnel securing kit" that stops the thing waggling about all over the shop as It's a bad design from standard fit.

270922_10151486091764132_1918482462_n.jpg

3543_10151486091604132_1547235925_n.jpg

It's quite a neat idea, and its firmly secure again now.

I've also fitted new wing mirror glass, which I will create a guide for, as I re-used my existing backing plates to make things easy ;) no point uploading photos as it will just be a reflection of my lovely face :D

These positives are not without a balanced negative though! When I got back from Stanford hall the other day, I noticed that all my oil had been consumed!!

216373_10151475504539132_380875975_n.jpg

Still looked good though ;)

Topped up the oil as I wasn't sure how much I had actually put in, nor what grade, put some generic 10/40 semi in there, and didn't drive the car for a couple of weeks after this....

Disaster occurred in the form of a massive fuel leak in my garage, I left the car running for a short while and returned to find around £15 worth of fuel on the floor, it had come from where the hard line meets the rubber hose down under the brake servo, the clip had failed, and I ended up buying a new one, simple fix, but needed to get a jerry can of fuel get it running again !

Very lucky for this not to have happened at home, and not actually on the road!

So, on Tuesday this week, I woke up bright and early for my drive down to Stealth Racing for the following:

Investigate odd noise from drivers wheel

4-wheel alignment

oil / filter change

remap

fix my spoiler / engine speed sensor fault

Arrived there just after 9am, fairly effortless drive, checked my oil again and after 90 miles it had used more than id care for.....

Started off with investigating the odd noises on the wheel, only to find the drive shaft flapping around, the clip on the outer joint that keeps it in place on the shaft had worn, but, alas, it wasn't to be a quick / cheap fix!! some muppet in a previous life had put the wrong nut on the CV joint and knackered the thread on the CV joint!

So, had to get a new outer CV joint after all that!

Oil / filter change went fine, nothing fell out apart from half a piston (kidding)....

while it was up on the ramp, started her up to inspect the exhaust, as it is 19 years old now, unfortunately it was blowing from pretty much every welding points ! Doh... so I know I need a new exhaust system soon, also, the bolt on the raceland manifold are too long and was pushing the CAT away from the gasket, and was leaking pretty bad there, didn't get time to sort that, however a nice little evening job for me there.

Remap time! the car felt really good on the road, and power delivery seemed good, so was hoping for some good figured, but nothing is ever straight forward is it?

It only fetched 186BHP before the remap, so something was wrong! Timing was ok, knock sensors were not reporting anything odd and it did blow some smoke out when you took your foot off the peddle, as when I did the head, only did the stem seals, its looking likely that the exhaust valve guides are work, I'm told they start to wear around 80k, and given mines on118k seems a likely culprit.

945293_10151499654379132_1928432396_n.jpg

After the remap, it made 193BHP, which wasn't great, we didn't bother pushing it for more power as it clearly wasn't a happy bunny to start with.

I'll upload videos when I get chance...

So, having a new head built now, and see where we go from there.

Vince also fixed the rear spoiler issue where it wasn't raising automagically, it was related to the engine speed sensor fault and it just was a simple case of joining up a wire at the back of the fuse board. happy days, its a pretty neat trick the Corrado has ;)

The drive home was still fun, it felt good to drive, but after the alignment it had highlighted another problem, the steering rack..... turns really easy to the left, however is a lot heavier turning to the right.... one for another day that one though! I can put up with it for now given that its not 100%

I also had a "moment" on the way home too :D the pin that holds the steering wheel height adjustment lever in place had popped out, 40 miles from home, so it was flapping up and down, luckily that was a simple fix when I got home, it just needed popping back in, if it comes out again, then I need to look at a more permanent solution.

Well, that's it for now, going a local classic car show / steam rally on Sunday with the Corrado, so see you at the Rolling Road Day :) doesn't look like i'll be winning any trophies, but progress on the old girl never the less.

Time to create a new To Do list ;)

Hope you enjoyed the update!

Pete

Ah we will get there with it mate. Just takes time and money haha. Just booked up a holiday so gotta go easy on the corrado spending :)

It's Smallwood car and steam engine rally. Happens every year, good day out. Only down the road too

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry dudes ! Been way too busy with non vr6 stuff recently. The car was dropped off at stealth some 2 months ago for the following:

Steering rack

Dub power Corrado OEM exhaust

Head rebuild

But is now having the above plus a new engine build.

Looking forward to getting the old girl back, will probably spend the next year running it in! Lol :)

Club Chairman

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...