My VR6 Project (56k warning!) LOOONG post

golf5.jpg

This is where it all strated Red Mk2 8 Valve Golf GTi purchased from ebay for the princely sum of ?150. This was going to be the base for my MK2 purpose bulit drag racer. My first intention was to put in a 1.8T but things took an uexpected turn i and favoured the VR6 engine.

Golf1.jpg

Work began slowly but soon picked up once the warmer weather arrived.

13-05-06_1542.jpg

DOH! someone forgot to take off the gear linkage!

DSC00036.jpg

Separated at last!

13-05-06_1618.jpg

13-05-06_1715.jpg

After a few let downs i tracked down a gem of a donor car on the Corrado forum already stripped of every thing. Only bits left are the bits i needed to do the conversion

4930612b.jpg

The strip down of the golf continues wire brushing all the loose rust and paint from the underside ready for two coats of hammerite to prevent the return of the rust monster. It was dusty hot work!

I have removed the standard fuel tank in favour of a 1.5 Gallon alloy tank that will be mounted on the inside. I have removed the rear axel and replaced this with the axel from the corrado. Ever seen a 5 x 100 stud pattern on a Mk2 ??

I have finninshed the underside painting and stripped the interior

ok my little VW nuts here a few more up to date pics first few are stage pics of stripping interior which is now finninshed and cleaned up...The last pics are of fixing the rear axel from the C to the G the last pics is the golf with the speedlines on 8)

f4b49f04.jpg

30937600.jpg

91d5d3dd.jpg

71223d6d.jpg

17806203.jpg

a208d2ee.jpg

This weekends Progress due to the hot weather and now impending harvest the old man needs access to the shed to store the grain... so a battle plan had to drawn up to get the golf back on four wheels... my orginal idea was to keep everything on the sub frame and fit all of it when a few more bit had been done to the engine... instead i have had to take the engine and gear box off the sub frame and fit that sepratly. I also ran new brake lines and the fuel lines. The loom is also sort of in waiting for cable ties. Also last week i manage to check out and see if my new dolly worked it did perfectly!

Seperated!

a5cc3133.jpg

Sits very high at the moment but im sure the weight of the engine will bring that down a bit lol

7aa071db.jpg

61ea27b1.jpg

MMMM shiny new brake lines

f8cc222b.jpg

Still a bit of tidying up to do but can see where everything goes

0e38b836.jpg

Well all has been quiet on the project front you woudl think but behind the scences there has been a hive of activity! in short i been doing the timing chains and other choice things to the engine... but now finaly some progress worth posting about...first shots of the engine getting fitted!!! i was surpsised how much room there was left in the bay

7495429d.jpg

ed4e2a2e.jpg

looking forward now to the next few weeks!!

the engine is a bit more in now the loom is being connected the drive shafts are on the gear stick is in all mounts are nice and tight... this has given me time to catch up on some body work stripped off the wings doors and boot.

The wings really took these off to make sure there are no nasty surprises behind them ie the rust monster... he wasnt there but gave it a lick of hammerite just to make sure he stayed away

DSC00101.jpg

I then turned my attention to making this fat lady into a skinny lady and the golf went on a diet the doors got attcked and stripped out here is a before and after shot.

DSC00100.jpg

all glass on the car then has been replaced with perpex excluding the windscreen. this has saved a lot of weight. Have started to remove the soudn deadening slow process with heat gun and scrapper no pics of this as its boring crap..

also i have somehow fit my tiny petrol tank and fuel pump in so i thought this woudl be a gret opertunity to loose some more weight. So i cut out the floor of the boot. In its place will go a aluminium plate riveted in under this will be mounted my fuel tank and pump

DSC00113.jpg

due to the pesky rust monster a large junk of the back got removed too

DSC00112.jpg

floor and fuel wont be for a few weeks but im busy stripping and wireing so it no great loss...

Some more mid way pics of strpping the heavy sound deadening

floor2.jpg

floor1.jpg

boring i know but keeps the story flowing and shows im still do stuff to it

Todays post shows the starts of my fuel system, some close ups of the perspex windows, and my floor im going to touch up the areas i have left red with a new coat of red to freshen up everything. I just love the old skool splash design. Any questions about the project feel free to PM and i will answer all i can.

Floormockup.jpg

cut from the carboard template i line up eveything to give an idea of how it will work before pot riveting it all together.

tankmockup.jpg

Getting and idea how the tank sits under the car

floortestfit.jpg

This is what you will see from the top, there are still two holes to cut and some pipe work to run on top of the tank is the return and the breather. This was a test fit of the new floor.

sidewindowperspex.jpg

doorperspex.jpg

backperspex.jpg

all perpex lovly and light.

golffloor1.jpg

all sound deadening removed and coat of black is on

golffloor.jpg

pretty splashes of red :cool:

J

Thanks guys... i have mainly been working on it friday nights and weekend... the pictures and breif description really does not justify how much work has gone into the project...i went in to this project totaly green never done anything like this before i mean yer ive changed basic things on cars starter motors, stereo etc...But last oct i got the car last christmas i asked for tools tools tools and got loads enough to get me under way...i just looked at it like a massive mechano or lego set just nuts and bolts its not rocket science. i havent even got a haynes manual...!!! the few questions i have had, i have found the answers online on various forums. have loved devising crazy ways to get round problems like the fuel tank and making my own perspex windows etc.

As for the engine keeping it NA maybe add a drag diff at a later stage but really not alot to the engine don't care if its not the fastest thing in the world id be happy with low 14 sec 1/4's

Thanks for the kind comments and support.

Adds i didnt know you were on here how random...im sure you must remember me im from peterborough too the one with the black octavia see you broken the 15 sec barrier well done feel good don't it, still whooping your bros leon lol?

Laters

Joel