DanChave's MK3 Golf GTI 16V Turned VR6 OBD1 :)

Hello buddy! Long time no see! Yeah I'm still cracking on with this, I have been taking pics along the way (some you may have seen on FB) but I haven't had the time to upload the pics yet and do a decent update. I think I'm going to wait until the car is MOT'd and then update with a load of pics as proof that it's capable of leaving my yard lol! I look forward to seeing your build thread and what you have done with it! Sorry to hear about your back dude, I have back troubles every now and again, so I can really empathize with you on that front! 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I finally got the VR back together I gave it a good wash on Saturday, and have taken any opportunity to take it for a drive this weekend   Anyways, pics:   This happened Christmas Eve     So it

So, I picked these up at the SWDubs Mega Meet   Also I fitted my MK3.5 clocks, and got the fuel light working. Handy for a VR lol   I also found enough time to split down the BBS RX2's I picked up

Got the GTI in:     Engine and loom out and completely stripped:   Cleaned up!   Started refitting everything   Refurbed front subframe, wishbones and rear beam with polybushes, new bearings, tr

Glad to hear you're cracking on with it dude.. I'm looking forward to seeing the new pics..

My back is getting back to normal slowly & I've managed to take the 4mo for a blast.. She's going well & loud haha!! Few more tweaks n things I wanna alter plus get it remapped to get the most out of it however, I want be happy until I've got it turbo'd.

Mk4motionVR6

I'm jealous man, it must be great driving it again! As usual, work is getting in the way with the build lol. On a positive note though, the Corrado I'm breaking has FK Highsport Sport Plus coilovers with adjustable dampening, so they will be replacing my FK AK Streets! Now I just need to get a set of decent 215/40/16 tyres for my 16x7 Beetle Contur alloys, and I should be able to get the car pretty well nicely set up for handling :)

• 2 weeks later...

Dam work grrrrrr!! We don't want much do we mate, just an obscene amount of cash & a huge fully equipped garage with every single mechanical engineering tool known to man kind... Plus the latest state of the art spraying equipment including oven... Lol... Awww we can but dream I guess!!

Anyway back to reality haha! You'll get there mate.

Yes it's great driving the beast around again! However I'm already wanting to do more. I'm so aching for a charger set up!! Grrrr I need money!!

I thought I'd be happy enough to blip around with it's still being NA, but I keep getting challenged by turbo'ed motors that'll beat me hands down

Have you seen that charged 4mo for sale on hear by Creationblue? I want it....

Mk4motionVR6

Haha, yeah that would be epic! I seriously reckon If i had the money, I'd have a whole aircraft hanger FULL of cars, Machine shop, body shop, mechanical tools, rolling road, diagnostic equipment, two poster ramps four poster ramps, laser alightment, the bloody works!! Nah I haven't seen it bud! I am really hoping I'll be happy with my VR6 NA for a fair while, but in reality I'd love to supercharge or turbo it :D

• 5 weeks later...
Well! I have had the VR6 on the road for a couple of weeks, and so far so good! Time for an update with pictures then :D

Going back a bit, I had the OBD1 AAA in and running, so I started MOT prep by getting the windscreen replaced!

DSC_0131_zpsn3pqb0js.jpg

DSC_0132_zpsrzjcwsjq.jpg

And did a trial fitment of my new bargain 16x7 Beetle Contur alloys. Now these are the same size as the 16x7 BBS RX2's that would have been run on the anniversary model, so I'll be using the factory spec of 215/40/16 tyres, probably Falkens.

DSC_0133_zpsp43mgqaf.jpg

DSC_0134_zpscb0hfsbh.jpg

Before I get tyres I'll be painting them inside and out in either a Bronze or a Metallic Grey, but still undecided.

IMG_274878258608705_zpsgm0yddoh.jpeg

IMG_274870857180375_zps97gqlgzs.jpeg

With it all done and ready for MOT I set off on the GTI's maiden voyage, and we all know what happened there :(

FB_IMG_1411726089934_zpsmxsliuum.jpg

DSC_0205_zpsib3uqcup.jpg

The results of the compression test.

IMG_20141010_182903_zpsxnh4gilx.jpg

DSC_0245_zpsrne0hwop.jpg

Results of the Leak Down Test.

DSC_0247_zps1owyndsf.jpg

DSC_0246_zpsvra07829.jpg

Conclusion is, the head is fine, head gasket is fine, possible bore wash or cracked piston rings. Decided it wasn't worth the rebuild, so out with the 2.8 OBD1!

DSC_0293_zpsbav9zair.jpg

Stripped the engine of all ancillaries.

DSC_0303_zpspmrs0mgt.jpg

Engine bay back like this for the second time :(

IMG_20141104_071912_zpsgu3alnuw.jpg

In with the donor ABV 2.9 Corrado VR6 :)

DSC_0506_zpscoi7ltxq.jpg

DSC_0505_zpswno6slyl.jpg

Chuck the engine at the GTI....

DSC_0507_zpsujmzpufg.jpg

Build the front end back up!

DSC_0516_zpsdga9dls3.jpg

After changing about a few MAF's, sensors, ECU's etc it finally started running and driving like it should, so gave the Golf a nice wash and booked MOT!

DSC_0522_zpsddcf7362.jpg

DSC_0523_zps549f7005.jpg

DSC_0524_zps5e0f9448.jpg

DSC_0525_zps7e75944d.jpg

DSC_0526_zpsb684eb82.jpg

At the MOT station, I'm happy to report she passed with flying colours! Only one advisory, with was play in the Near Side inner steering arm joint, which I'll get sorted before the new wheels go on and I get the tracking set up :)

DSC_0540_zps1e19c7f5.jpg

And first proper fill up with the good stuff 

I'm picking up a 6 branch and decat tomorrow, so next plan is to find time to fit those and swap out my 2.25 Scorpion exhaust system and fit my 2.5 Jetex system, to see which I prefer :D

I'll do a before and after and upload it yeah :) Cheers dude! Yeah, I couldn't just abandon the poor thing! I was lucky that my mate Josh was getting rid of the Rado at just the right time, otherwise I'd probably still be waiting for a decent engine to come along lol! As I goes, I managed to make profit on breaking the car AND get a free engine out of it, so it all worked out in the end :D

• 2 weeks later...

No real update to speak of, other than I have been really enjoying having a VR to hoon about in again :D

I haven't been able to pick up the 6 branch and decat yet, as I have had a lot on with work. But my short shifter from Besters on here has arrived, so in the new year I intend to get the 6 branch, decat, jetex 2.5 system and short shifter fitted in the new year!

• 3 weeks later...

Sooo, Christmas eve came, I took the car homes and had a knock in the back lanes :( the short of it is I need a new wing, drivers headlight and grill, and the poor thing is sat outside the workshop looking sorry for its self.

So what do I do? Go and buy a Anniversary edition MK3 GTI to steal all the best bits for mine and then sell it on as a standard GTI ;) So thanks to that I have Anni steering wheel, red seatbelts, Anni seats, Anni side mouldings, and a genuine VR front splitter!

I now also have a set of BBS RX2's to refurb as my summer wheels, and a decent set of tyres for my Beetle Contur alloys. As these are now demoted to winter wheels, I'll just leave them silver, and they will be on the car this coming weekend :D

Sounds good bud! I'm looking forward to getting to a few meets this summer :)

Today I fitted colour coded bumpers and side mouldings, vento front, my Miltek decat and my 2.5 inch Jetex exhaust system, and my short shifter from Besters :) can't wait to give the car a nice wash tomorrow and drive the beast over the weekend <3

Sounds good bud! I'm looking forward to getting to a few meets this summer :)

Today I fitted colour coded bumpers and side mouldings, vento front, my Miltek decat and my 2.5 inch Jetex exhaust system, and my short shifter from Besters :) can't wait to give the car a nice wash tomorrow and drive the beast over the weekend <3

Short shift was one of the best things I did to mine

Decided to fit all my red 3.5 cab switches and clocks to finish off the interior for now, I also bought a Sony Mechless stereo with AUX out and USB with matching red lit buttons, and Pioneer speakers in the front an back cards :) just a few bits to finish off tomorrow morning, and hopefully if the weather is alright, a few pics as well!

So I finally got the VR back together :) I gave it a good wash on Saturday, and have taken any opportunity to take it for a drive this weekend :D

Anyways, pics:

This happened Christmas Eve

DSC_0634_zps453196f1.jpg

DSC_0633_zpsf4ceef68.jpg

So it sat in my yard, waiting to be repaired, and then I got a bit carried away lol!

DSC00153_zpsc78ddb46.jpg

DSC00150_zps276333f2.jpg

DSC00137_zpsfee13654.jpg

DSC00135_zps0b4b5a65.jpg

DSC00116_zpsd8e3d3a5.jpg

DSC_0715_zps6e42cd86.jpg

DSC00130_zps7359f1cb.jpg