DanChave's MK3 Golf GTI 16V Turned VR6 OBD1 :)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I finally got the VR back together I gave it a good wash on Saturday, and have taken any opportunity to take it for a drive this weekend   Anyways, pics:   This happened Christmas Eve     So it

So, I picked these up at the SWDubs Mega Meet   Also I fitted my MK3.5 clocks, and got the fuel light working. Handy for a VR lol   I also found enough time to split down the BBS RX2's I picked up

Got the GTI in:     Engine and loom out and completely stripped:   Cleaned up!   Started refitting everything   Refurbed front subframe, wishbones and rear beam with polybushes, new bearings, tr

Yeah they were brand new :) as for the hoses, they haven't turned up yet, but I'll let you guys know when they do! I'm really looking forward to getting them on, getting the coolant system bled up and giving the car a good old Italian tune :D

Sooo, I'm still waiting on these hoses, but hopefully they will be here by Saturday!

In the meantime, I have been working on my daily :)

1.9 SDI Estate in Candy White!

DSC_00691_zpsed620ada.jpg

Just finished refurbing and painting my new wheels for it, unfortunately I need a set of smaller tyres as the 205/40/17's rub everywhere, so they are back off for now lol. anyone got a pair of 195/40's or 185/35's that I could have to try? preferably worn out and cheap, just so I can make up my mind before I buy a brand new set :)

Update!

The hoses arrived, I'm really impressed by the quality of them so I can't really complain for £100 :)

DSC_0087_zpsa7715ddd.jpg

So I started fitting the hoses and took the thermostat housing apart to check the gaskets, check the housing for cracks, and fit the new 70 degree Thermostat.

Housing stripped down

DSC_0092_zps695dcdcf.jpg

New thermostat

DSC_0093_zpscffa2de0.jpg

New VS old

DSC_0095_zps204587d3.jpg

Unfortunately, because it's bank holiday Monday today, I couldn't get the stainless bolts to replace the rust-ridden ones from the housing :( Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow to get them, finish fitting the coolant hoses, bleed the system and finally take it for a spin!

So, all hopes are dashed for getting the VR on the road for the end of the month :(

Firstly, after all the rain we have had recently, it has become apparent that the coilpack I bought is crappy. Soo when I finished fitting the coolant hoses and filled up with coolant, I went to start the car to bleed the system and it just wouldn't fire.

Secondly, as the screen is cracked, I was hoping to get the screen replaced with the one from the donor. Unfortunately. This cracked on removal, so now I need to pay out for a new screen as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I was man! I just hope that the non firing issue was resolved when the codes were cleared! I also have a set of red seat belts for the best now, should go well with what I have planned for the interior :) I just need to have the time to get it ready for MOT now, still need to get all the lights working, fill up the washer bottle, make sure the washer jets are working, fit a new windscreen and a few other tiny bits! so close but so far! I will get it booked in for MOT in 8 days time, so just in case it fails on anything I have the maximum 10 days to get it sorted before I have to pay to get it retested, that way it should still be all good to tax it on the 1st of October!

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, with some pics to follow soon! The windscreen is getting replaced tomorrow, and then I can finally book the MOT rready to tax the beast on the 1st of October :D

In other news, I was offered money I couldn't refuse for the BBS RX228's, so they have gone, and I picked up some new 16's this morning ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Sooo, took the VR for MOT at the end of last month, started misfiring on the way, cut out, and when I restarted it, a shed load of blue and white smoke bellowed out :(

Obviously the test was cancelled, as something was seriously wrong. I did a compression test and cylinders 1,2 and 3 were just boardering on 100 PSI and the other three ranged from just under 140 to just under 160 :/ I'm waiting from my leak down tester to arrive so I can investigate further, but I already have a Corrado VR6 donor car lined up anyways ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey dan sorry to here of this buddy... You must have been gutted man!! I've been following your progress from time to time on here n facebook.

So where you at now dude? You still persevering with this project.. You've done so much I hope you've not given up & look forward to seeing a finished project your happy with

I've just got my 4motion back on the road after a year of tinkering & about with her bits n peaces lol..

Flew through the MOT couple of weeks back! Unfortunately I've not had the pleasure of using it yet as I've been recovering this last week from putting my back out Grrrrr. On the mend now though

I remember when I 1st met you 3-4 years ago! You've come a long way since then & really delved into the nuts n bolts of things ey mate!

You've done real well on this VR project buddy.. Don't give up man!!

Mk4motionVR6