Nazzas VR6 Golf...Phase one.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm just using ebc black pads and haven't crashed so far lol

Try and clean out the holes as much as possible as they'll be full of dirt and tap the key in with a hammer to make sure of a good seat, a dose of WD40 at the joint to the carrier and time to sit coul

The screw is just for holding it lined up with the bolt holes

Standard VR tyres are 205/50/15 and I've run these with coilovers. Where exactly are yours catching?

I've run speedlines with 205 tyres and coilovers in the past too without issue, can't understand why yours is catching. I support what the tiers have said though, don't break it whatever you do, Rome wasn't built in a day mate. Give the tyres some serious thought, if you've got any plans of changing wheels in the future, it might be worth doing it once and once only (as in now), or even try findin part worn tyres as a temp measure, or even temporary wheels, which I've also done in the past. Get down the scrappy and have a look for a couple of passat steels or something. There's ways and means that's all I'm saying. I've even got a set of TT comps on 195/40 tyres you could use as a temp measure if you want to come to wrexham for them.

Standard VR tyres are 205/50/15 and I've run these with coilovers. Where exactly are yours catching?

Haven't had a proper chance too look yet, but garage said its on the actual coilover part i think. Will give more details on tuesday when i can hopefully have a better look. 

205 seems a bit wide for the width of tyres.. 

Rear axle is a picee of piss to change only like 4 bolts and undo the brake stuff

Yer, just been reading up on it from haynes...sounds easy enough...hoping i wont have to do it though. 

I've run speedlines with 205 tyres and coilovers in the past too without issue, can't understand why yours is catching. I support what the tiers have said though, don't break it whatever you do, Rome wasn't built in a day mate. Give the tyres some serious thought, if you've got any plans of changing wheels in the future, it might be worth doing it once and once only (as in now), or even try findin part worn tyres as a temp measure, or even temporary wheels, which I've also done in the past. Get down the scrappy and have a look for a couple of passat steels or something. There's ways and means that's all I'm saying. I've even got a set of TT comps on 195/40 tyres you could use as a temp measure if you want to come to wrexham for them.

Wrexham is a tad far from me. haha. I would like too change eventunally but rather wait as i do like the speedlines... Thanks for the offer though. :) 

No probs mate, that's the beauty of forums, we're all here to help each other if we can. If your sticking with speedlines, just try to fathom where they are rubbing. They were corrado speedlines I had as winter wheels and in know they were fine on 205s. Can't see them being a different offset.

moved the VR yesterday to my mates driveway. I have a couple of days off work after today so looking too getting some good time on it while the weather is nice :D 

Here is how wonky she is and how low i put it too start with... Haha. 

IMG_20140311_162622_827_zpsf3e8c43c.jpg

IMG_20140311_163038_490_zps93e6a7e8.jpg

When i checked behind the wheel too see how much room there was between the tyre and coilover, there was none. Was thinking maybe 20mm or 15mm spacers to move it away from the coilover. But will decide better after i have fitted the other side. 

Also, this is showing why we think the rear axel is bent. The side I have lowered is sitting closer towards the front of the arch? 

IMG_20140311_163112_968_zpsf4b35b23.jpg

lowered^^^^ 

IMG_20140311_163131_676_zps8409239e.jpg

Not lowered^^^^^ 

Not brilliant pics sorry. 

Anyway, progess wise I raised the drivers side so its not so tucked and slammed, I also removed the passenger seat ready for new seats i got as mine were a tad mouldy from open doors in the garage and the moist getting in. 

I went to remove the passenger rear suspension as well, but the bolt at the bottom, its just spinning round and not loosing. It looks like the nut that is meant too be securing it in, is spinning as well. Thinking of seeing if i can get some pliers in there too hold the nut still, but shall see... 

I also found the speedlines are et43. Not sure if that is standard.

Cheers. 

I'm running et 42 on the rear of mine and it's close to the strut, with the coilovers being bigger diameter they will touch. If you're rolling the arches then 15-20mm spacers are good. If you're not then I'd stick to 10mm as this should space the wheel out enough..... Get some wood of varying thickness & make template spacers to see what's best. DON'T drive with the wood on though! :)

The front springs are cut on it...(previous owner) 

I don't intend on keeping it running that low :P so will raise it up quite a lot once its all done...im hoping. haha.

eek, how much of a shite ride and tightly wound spring must that be. not to mention a forced shock.

rough riding doesnt bother me as i run a low car as my daily anyway. 

I'm running et 42 on the rear of mine and it's close to the strut, with the coilovers being bigger diameter they will touch. If you're rolling the arches then 15-20mm spacers are good. If you're not then I'd stick to 10mm as this should space the wheel out enough..... Get some wood of varying thickness & make template spacers to see what's best. DON'T drive with the wood on though! :)

15mm spacers then it is if i can find some cheap ones. Will be rolling the arches at some point when I get my roller back.... 

cut springs.....wow, was the previous owner a monkey?:0

No...he was an idiot... Was only the fronts as well... 

Today I fitted my new lights and badged grille. I prefer the standard lights to the angles, plus the angels were cracked. Looks a lot tidier now IMO. 

IMG_20140313_170814_364_zps7ef29901.jpg

I also managed to remove the front passenger suspension and brake with no real issues. I'm now ready to attempt to remove the lower suspension arm tomorrow. Any tips on doing so are much appreciated.  

Did find another funny (or worrying thing) with the car today. The front disk and pads both look relativity new compared to the drivers side ones. Guessing only one side was changed :/ 

IMG_20140313_155554_286_zps65a88b69.jpg

IMG_20140313_155536_916_zps76944849.jpg

Still replacing with new ones though. 

I did try and make a start on the passenger rear as well but quit while i was ahead as the caliper carrier bolts are just as seized as the drivers side and I didnt want to round them off. 

Thats it for today...Cheers 

No offence, but cut springs, replacing 1 brake disc......id personally go over the car with a fine tooth comb mate before you drive it properly, or worse before any kids etc go in it. Might be sound but the previous owner sounds a proper brokeback mountain!!

Had some time off work so I went about swapping the front wishbone and doing the brake and coilover for the front passneger. The old bush in the wish bone was well and truely f****d.

IMG_20140314_125145_956_zps0bfa60d3.jpg

old v new wishbones. 

IMG_20140314_125139_801_zps6a4e456e.jpg

I also went about taking off the rear axel to be able to get to the carriers easier... Turns out it was more of an issue than originally thought. One of the holder bolts was proper seized on, so i undid the single bolt that goes through the bush too drop the axel, not ideal but its not that major. During tracking back the brake lines and abs line, found the brake lines were pretty badly corroded and rusted and unfortunately snapped, so now need to replace them. Found that the abs line has also split and been very poorly reconnected so will need to do that as well. More things wrong with this darn car. 

Good news though is that after getting the axel off, me and my friend grinded off the carrier bolts and removed one side, will do other side when i next have time off. 

May need new carriers but will cross that bridge when i get the other side off. 

IMG_20140317_172136_574_zps2b486d68.jpg

this is how bad the carrier bolts are. 

IMG_20140317_172303_069_zpsf2b7e2f7.jpg

IMG_20140318_172432_443_zps74791016.jpg

Rounded and dry. no grease ever been put on them I think. 

Some questions now. 

1) How hard is it to redo rear brake lines and does anyone know the part number? 

2) Does anyone have the part number for the rear carriers incase i do replace them? 

Finnaly, how she is sitting atm on my friends drive way. 

IMG_20140317_172642_919_zps8879cc98.jpg

Thanks for the help.