Nazzas VR6 Golf...Phase one.

You're obd2 aren't you? If so why don't you just get the 312mm carriers and 312mm discs?

What do you mean by the carriers? And if i did up the disc size would i not also need new calipers? If so it will probably be too much for me too afford unfortunately. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm just using ebc black pads and haven't crashed so far lol

Try and clean out the holes as much as possible as they'll be full of dirt and tap the key in with a hammer to make sure of a good seat, a dose of WD40 at the joint to the carrier and time to sit coul

The screw is just for holding it lined up with the bolt holes

The carriers are the frame that space the calliper out to the right place, look in the 312mm brakes sticky in the wheels and brakes section. The 288mm callipers are essentially the same, the pads for each are the exact same pad.

So if you are obd2 you don't change your callipers you just get the 312mm spaced carriers and the bigger discs from a mk4 era car that had 312s ie S3, TT, mk4 GTI anni, Octavia VRS

Edited by Lukey.

Does not sound too bad that then. Seems like a sensible option really, and hopefully not too costly. 

Will look more into it in the new year, as I have ran out of money due too Christmas... I am hoping to get brakes and coilovers next and hopefully fix it all in one hit :) 

Thanks for all your help though Lukey. 

• 4 weeks later...

After buying and collecting some new suspension (coilovers) for the vr, i set about trying to take the old ones off. My days, I don't think any of the bolts have ever seen grease... All are seized on and are near on impossible to get off. Managed to get the bottom two undone, however the top bolt i am having to chisle off/break it off.  (have only attempted the front so far....) 

To help myself though, I decided to remove the disk/calipers as i am changing all the brakes for new ones, and somehow, the calipers and disc all came off as one...The pads are stuck to discs, which is annoying.  Plus, the disc didnt seem to be held in place by anything. (i.e. retaining bolt) 

But thats it for now. Will be attempting to carry on the removal of suspension over next few days. 

Cheers for reading

In all the Golfs that I've owned I've only had 2 that didn't need the front top nuts chiseling/cutting off. For some reason they all seem to rust solid & become one with the top shaft of the damper. I bought a special, fine chisel just for doing this & I hate it every time!

In all the Golfs that I've owned I've only had 2 that didn't need the front top nuts chiseling/cutting off. For some reason they all seem to rust solid & become one with the top shaft of the damper. I bought a special, fine chisel just for doing this & I hate it every time!

I guess thats a bit easier on me knowing its not just this shit thing... haha. I appear to be annoying my neiaghbors though with the constant hammering, but i am getting somewhere for now...

The rear is also a pain and full on seized. Has anyone got anyideas for that one? I cant chisel as its one bolt and no nut. 

Thanks

SUCCESS!!!!! 

managed to get the fornt and the rear driver side suspension off completely this afternoon! :D 

Im happy with that. haha 

IMG_20140108_151218_037_zpsb3d079e2.jpg

and this is the old top mount for the front... it lost against the hacksaw....

IMG_20140108_151224_391_zps2e173fca.jpg

next day off i will be fitting the new suspension on and then attacking the passenger side... see how that goes... 

I have ordered myself some vented discs and some redstuff pads and they should be here middle of next week ready for fitting :)  Coming along now i think.. I hope. 

I also decided on the redstuff pads as they are good for cars with over 200bhp and i would be liking too increase my power before needing new pads. 

One of the failss on the MOT was the lower arm bush had gone. I Have been told by my local mechanic that it would be easier to replace the whole part rather than just the bush. In this case, am I looking for the "control wishbone arm" ? 

And would it be worth changing both sides at the same time for handling? 

Thank you for the help.  

I've only ever seen the wishbones in black. Try and go for a known brand like Febi bilstein as the quality of those is good.

Are you doing both sides? Remember if doing the driver side you'll either need to raise the engine or drop the sump to get access to one of the bolts

was the nearside that failed so passengers... was intending too do both but i may wait now until it does go. As i have just put the sump back on. Thanks for the advice though.  

• 3 weeks later...

SSOOOO.... not a lot been happening really. 

Went to fit my rear coilover today, and i am stuggling with it. As when i am going to fit the rubber mount, nuts and washers inside the boot, I am not left with any thread to fit the first nut on.  Heres some pictures to help explain my problem a bit more, 

The new coilovers thread are about 3mm shorter than the old ones, top one is the new one. 

IMG_20140201_155512_015_zps24a77427.jpg

All the space i have too work with, 

IMG_20140201_155602_597_zpsc3aa5ef2.jpg

IMG_20140201_155427_683_zpsc97a575d.jpg

THe brass bit that seems too long, so i am wondering if, 

1) i can shave them down a couple of mm to the length I need, 

or 

2) can you get shorter ones? 

Thanks 

Yesterday I managed to fit the rear strut after getting the spacer filed down about 5mm. After that I took out the old front brake pads to change them too the new ones, but the new ones look a lot smaller? even though they are the obd2 ones? 

IMG_20140205_132251_978_zpsd1342732.jpg

Deciding too leave the brakes, stripped the rear out a bit and came across this in the uunder the seats, 

IMG_20140205_140638_597_zpsb7c6f614.jpg

loads of glass pieces. Standard I think. 

And too top it off, a bodge on the rear strut (not the one I have changed I would like too point out) 

IMG_20140205_140651_412_zpscdab8abf.jpg

I am still trying too find some top strut stoppers for the front suspension but all the ones im finding so far are stupidly expensive. 

Thanks