Nazzas VR6 Golf...Phase one.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm just using ebc black pads and haven't crashed so far lol

Try and clean out the holes as much as possible as they'll be full of dirt and tap the key in with a hammer to make sure of a good seat, a dose of WD40 at the joint to the carrier and time to sit coul

The screw is just for holding it lined up with the bolt holes

Ahhh bollocks.... Thanks though Lukey :)  Would be stuck without you helping me out a lot haha. 

I have emailed the seller already and waiting on a reply, most likely by monday now. And I have also managed to find myself one strut stopper, just have to hope i dont need to cut the other one off.

More emails today (y)  

Got a reply off the seller I got the pads from, Getting a full refund plus my postage covered which is good. 

I also emailed the seller of the top mount stopper/washer asking if they had another one, which they did! That makes my life easier when i do the other side :) 

My top stoppers arrived today, and ive ordered some new front pads. Hopefully the right ones this time. Part number was correct so if not im flipping out... haha. 

Got another weekend off so hopefully ill get a bit more done over the weekend. 

One other question though, The rear caliper, is it bolted on with bolts, or allen keys? As mine has allen keys and im pretty sure im rounding them off. 

Thanks 

Rear calipers are held on with 8mm hex (allen) bolt heads. They can be an arse to get off, i've already rounded two of mine trying to remove them. Might need a bolt extractor to get them off 

aawwwww feck.... i really hate allen bolts. Was hoping mine were just bodged... thanks though. 

Where could i get a bolt extractor from or would a tap and die? kit work just as well? 

Yup, me to!!! If you needed something soon, i'd head to a local car spares shop. Halfords sell a stud extractor set which might do it. I've got a set of Irwin bolt removers like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IRWIN-5-Pce-BASE-Bolt-Grip-Nut-Remover-Set-10-16mm-Case-/390351175947?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item5ae2be410b

Try and clean out the holes as much as possible as they'll be full of dirt and tap the key in with a hammer to make sure of a good seat, a dose of WD40 at the joint to the carrier and time to sit could work them a bit too. I just did mine to replace the rear abs sensors and they were the worst part of the job, the method that worked in the end was this then holding onto the car body, resting my foot on the Allen key and pushing with my leg, not kicking though just gradual building I force to avoid rounding the bolts

I have tried resting my foot on it, but wasn't much use first time. There is not a lot of room in my garage. I will be going back down at the weekend to have another go. If not I reckon ill be getting me a bolt extractor. See if i can go halfs with my dad as he will want one i'm sure...  :rolleyes:

In other news, I bought things that look right this time!!! 

IMG_20140213_112244_626_zps6820fddf.jpg

So this will hopefully mean ill get the drivers side front coilover on, and the brake discs/pads and the wheel!!! We are getting there... I think.  :lol:

Good news!!!! Front drivers side is complete (for now) and the wheel is attached  :blink: finally.  

However, the front discs have a screw holding them on normally, unfortunately, this screw was stuck in and i could not get it out, but the dics fit on over it with no issues that i can see.

My question is, is this going to cause me any issues?  The disc is now held in place with the wheels bolts and not moving anywhere.

Next bit is too do the rear. I have now purchased those bolt removers, so hopefully ill be alright with this....see how it goes. such a pain.  

Thank God!! That means that it is complete, and i dont have to worry about the front drivers anymore!! 20% of the way there.... 

This was all in the hallway before parents moaned at me. 

IMG_20140213_123459_716_zpsedee7bc7.jpg

consists of, Coilovers, brake discs and pads, wishbone, new headlights, various screws and top mounts and a few other bits... Whoops.

The frustrating buggered screw and then everything else in place. Not lowering this too much, but shall see how we get on.

IMG_20140216_122526_381_zps0b234469.jpg

(can see where its rounded and flattened off) 

IMG_20140216_155151_539_zpsd1d84ce1.jpg

IMG_20140216_161034_619_zpsd6be0cd0.jpg

Cheers for reading. 

• 2 weeks later...

Right...so i have given up on the rear brakes...got so fed i am putting them back together as old ones and taking it too the garage to get them too do it before i put my face through the rear quarter. 

It is going in on thursday and when i get it back i will do the rest of the suspension and the front passenger brake/wishbone/coilover. 

That's where im standing with it right now. 

Ok, So the garage have rung too tell me they arent happy with touching my VR...It is a death trap appently. i needed new tyres on it anyway, but they are they bald they are going to pop soon, plus due to the  speedlines being a funny offset and the tyres being too fat, they are catching on the front coilover and cutting a groove in the tyre. The bloke also had a go at me because I have only done one side of brakes/coilovers at a time and wouldnt except the fact that my garage is tiny and only had room to do one side at a time...I never intended to move the car with only one side done at a time either until the rear brake issues. 

My issue is now, do i spend money on spacers, new smaller thinner tyres and hope it sorts out the catching tyres. Or do i just scrap it and brake the car down for spares? 

Other issue is i cant get my car back as i have no trailer and they arent happy with me driving it.... 

thats my plans. My speedlines are 6j but unsure on offset, so thinking 195/45/15 tyres? Looking at Mid range tyres of falkons. 

Whats the most popular use of spacers on here? I have heard good reviews on hubcentric spacers. 

Would rather not break it as would be a right waste. 

Picking it back up tomorrow and going to start on passenger front suspension and wishbone while wheels are off for tyres... :/ 

In fairness, it isnt their choice wether you drive it or not, basically what they are wanting is you to just say ah feck it you do all the work then. Id just get it home and accept it will be off the road until you sort it yourself. Once you get to the point where things just wont happen, best bet is to go have a cuppa/fag/poo or whatever and go back to it later on when you have calmed down. A car is only nuts and bolts and only works one way so you are capable. I would just spend a bit of time on the net researching exactly what tools you need to complete the jobs properly and go from there. For the seized parts just go and get some anti seize or a product called "shock and unlock" or something like that, give it a good coating for 12-24 hours and go back to it.

Stick it up on 4 axle stands and concentrate on the coilovers first, the get the brakes done before you start on the spacers. Whilst its on the stands stick a wheel on and measure the distance you have between the coilover and the tyre to determine the spacer width you may need.

Working in the motor trade myself I can kind of understand where the garage is coming from. We have to tell a customer not to drive there car if something is seriously wrong with it. We can't force them not to drive it but it covers our back if the customer has an accident we told them not to drive it. I wouldn't give up not for the sake of niggly little jobs it will be worth it in the end when you get to drive it again.

What tyres are on the sppedlines at the minute? Id maybes go narrower than 195's. My bbs reps are 7.5j and I run 195's and they have a little bit of stretch

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

tyres are something stupid like 205/50/15. May look at 185/40 maybe? And wheels are 6.5j sorry. 

Will be getting it up on axel stands next week as working till then unfortunaly. I really dont want to brake it. 

On a side note....anyone changed a rear axel before? As mine looks like it could be bent but im hoping thats just because its only lowered on one side... 

Cheers though guys.