Nazzas VR6 Golf...Phase one.

This reminds me of my valver, I bought it as a bargain well so I thought and ended up being a death trap beyond belief. The gearbox mounts were shot so they used rope and tied it to the front slam panel , it had no rear breaks and the rear bearings were shot and they decided to come off whilst going around a roundabout. Took ages to sort it all out but I think it was worth it in the end. Most people would have given up but I suppose I loved the thing irrespective to the work involved.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm just using ebc black pads and haven't crashed so far lol

Try and clean out the holes as much as possible as they'll be full of dirt and tap the key in with a hammer to make sure of a good seat, a dose of WD40 at the joint to the carrier and time to sit coul

The screw is just for holding it lined up with the bolt holes

Some times i feel like giving up on it but i feel i have spent too mch too warrent scraping it. Plus i start it up and give it a rev and that noise makes me want to hurry up and finish it all off. 

So far I haven't come across anything as bad as a loose gearbox  :blink:  but that is crazy!!

Good news today. Managed too get the Carriers off on the drivers side as well (Y) I will be buying new ones as the bolts are still seized in the carrier and they are rusted to buggery. 

Does anyone have the part number for these as well? 

Or even any going cheap? Haha. 

Thanks 

• 5 months later...

So, I am back on here. After much thought and more money poured into the vr6, i decieded i was going to break her and sell for parts. Engine and all. However, my daily driver (mk2 ibiza) has started to give up the ghost. So new plan is too take out the vr6 engine, and rebuild it up with new rings and pistons and possibly head gasket etc. Once this is done, i intend to drop it into the ibiza as they are the same mounts etc. 

Phase two of this will now begin and as usual, i will be asking a lot of questions on here for help. 

For example, what are the best sort of pistons to go for?  I do not intend on increasing the power of the vr6 too drastically, maybe just a remap and a solid service. So in my mind, just standard VW replacement pistons and rings would do the job?  

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. 

So, looking at new rings and pistons for the VR, looks like its £100 for rings and £400 plus for pistons? is this about right? Also, would they be the same for obd1 and obd2 engines?

I have obd2 engine as well.

Sounds about right mate. I've just had a full rebuild of my obd2 Corrado.

Pistons, rings, rods and block work cost best part of 1k!

If your engine is AAA then no difference (2.8l) was only ABV in 2.9l.

Oh feck...bit more than i imagined then...I can save though.. Or just skip the pistons and just change rings and possibly do the head gasket. 

However i have found this. and unsure whether to purchase it not. haha.  

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-VW-2-8-VR6-93-98-AAA-Bare-engine-Block-Pistons-/161403015028?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25945e8f74

• 3 weeks later...

Will be ordering new rings soon for the engine once it is out. I am also thinking of changing the cambelt on it while the engine is out and easy to get to. Is it a fairly simple job or is there more to it compared to say a polo? 

Plus, how easy is it to do the rings? Cheers. 

The chains are a piece of piss really, all of the sprockets have timing marks so it's really straightforward and user friendly. I think the best thing to say is that you be really methodical and if you want to check it you can easily hand crank the engine and see if everything still lines up after 2 rotations

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So after a lot of hanging about with only half days off and no lights at my cars location work on the golf has been slow. however, engine is now out!  -_-

Just got too move it to my garage where i can start changing bits. 

Few little things with it though. Would it be worth me buying a new loom for it as it has been sat out in rain snow ect (covered) for a fair old while. 

I am also planning on removing the hubs off the golf and transferring onto my ibiza. This way Ill be able too keep my breaks that i bought and also be able to stop better. Which is always a bonus. 

cheers.

• 1 month later...

Managed to make a start on my ibiza with removing the front hubs an fitting new ones along with new driveshafts for the vr engine to go in. I have also manage to locate a new wiring loom for this so will be looking at swapping that over in the next weeks.  Unfortunately, work is slow as i am also in the middle of switching gearboxes and fitting coilovers on my daily polo. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been a while since i updated this. but more progress has been done. Rear disc brakes are on now, just need to make up some new brake lines to go to the calipers and then source a handbrake cable for disc brakes.  At the front, both hubs and driveshafts are connected up (though not to the engine) and I will be fitting the brakes and calipers soon. 

Getting there very slowly but its interesting. 

Been a while since i updated this. but more progress has been done. Rear disc brakes are on now, just need to make up some new brake lines to go to the calipers and then source a handbrake cable for disc brakes.  At the front, both hubs and driveshafts are connected up (though not to the engine) and I will be fitting the brakes and calipers soon. 

Getting there very slowly but its interesting. 

good news ! Any photos of your progress?

• 2 weeks later...

Here are pics of the engine bay and any stickers i could find.

Hopefully someone can confirm if its an OBD1 or OBD2 for me. Sorry for being ignorant :/

IMG_20130715_171755_203_zps9e54d6b5.jpg

IMG_20130715_171725_651_zpsd98eb83e.jpg

IMG_20130715_171607_182_zps3188f167.jpg

IMG_20130715_171555_301_zps354ff3dd.jpg

(theres cloth in this to stop dirt etc getting in as much)

IMG_20130715_171531_612_zps0379bfb6.jpg

Any help on this would be much appriciated. As i am slightly confused with what engine it is as its registered in 97 which IIRC was the change over year?

Thanks

Nathan

79236014022d7765412a22abd5c95492.jpgman that's clean you should see the state of my engine