Nazzas VR6 Golf...Phase one.

Hello. Im new here. Name is Nathan but can call me whatever (withing reason :P)

This is my first VR, and is my 2nd car. Other car is a mk2 Ibiza which is my daily.

For anyone interested this is it.

DSC00817_zps54d618db.jpg

Haven't got any previous pics of the VR but its not in best of nick, few rust spots and so on, but nothing major body work wise. However, after a few days of ownership, I noticed an oil leak. PITA but it gave me an excuse to get my hands dirty and learn a bit.

Got it from this:

IMG_20130524_121242_921_zps990c1c72.jpg

To this in about 5 hours work including breaks:

IMG_20130526_153800_506_zpsb188faac.jpg

Not bad for a novice I think.

I have removed the manifold, to get to the rocker cover to check the gasket there(Which was going) and cleaned it up a bit.

Going to be ordering new gaskets for manifold, rocker cover and probs inlet while its all off then refit before ordering a new sump etc to change that as its pretty poor and i think its the cause of the leak now.

I will most likely be asking lots of questions on here so all help is much appreciated :)

Thanks

Nathan

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm just using ebc black pads and haven't crashed so far lol

Try and clean out the holes as much as possible as they'll be full of dirt and tap the key in with a hammer to make sure of a good seat, a dose of WD40 at the joint to the carrier and time to sit coul

The screw is just for holding it lined up with the bolt holes

Good progress on the tear down, if you haven't already you need to find if your engine is early or late, being a P if its original it should prob have an OBD2 later type engine, early and late have some different parts that aren't interchangeable, like the rocker cover gasket for instance.

The pic looks like a single top chain which also indicates a later engine.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Will look more into that. I knew there was two engine types but i just thought one was golf other was for the 'raddo. Whoops.

Dont know if this will help but its a closer pic of the stripped bay.

IMG_20130526_153753_480_zps714f3d7f.jpg

Be it a bit blurry.

Going down to the garage in a bit so will see if its a plastic or metal cover.

Thanks again.

There may still be the data sticker on the left side of the rocker cover too which will have engine number on it, 217001 on is late. Trouble with these old girls is you don't always know if anything has been changed in the past etc. Yours all suggests later type to me though :)

• 1 month later...

Ok, had to put the golf on hold for until i got my other car working. So Sorry for it being slow and lack of replies.

Will get a pic of the throttle body hopefuly tonight and upload soon. I will also check what the sticker says for engine code. Once figured, i will be buying parts, as ibiza is working now.

On a side note i saw your stand at GTI and all the cars on there looked smart :D Insperation for me for sure.

Here are pics of the engine bay and any stickers i could find.

Hopefully someone can confirm if its an OBD1 or OBD2 for me. Sorry for being ignorant :/

IMG_20130715_171755_203_zps9e54d6b5.jpg

IMG_20130715_171725_651_zpsd98eb83e.jpg

IMG_20130715_171607_182_zps3188f167.jpg

IMG_20130715_171555_301_zps354ff3dd.jpg

(theres cloth in this to stop dirt etc getting in as much)

IMG_20130715_171531_612_zps0379bfb6.jpg

Any help on this would be much appriciated. As i am slightly confused with what engine it is as its registered in 97 which IIRC was the change over year?

Thanks

Nathan

• 2 weeks later...

Started with the whole fixing over of stuff now. Changed the sparks and ht leads so far ( which was a PITA to do). One of the ht leads disintegrated on me and shattered around the spark. However, sorted that all out and now fitting a new rocker cover gasket, but once i get to a certain tightness it pops out a lil bit. Is there a certain tightness i have to get the rocker cover back on at?

Once this is done its a case of reassemble, and the change the sump and sump gasket etc.

Cheers.

Well, it said on the site it fitted my age car, sent them an E-mail informing them of this situation, and that unfortunately i had fitted and tried to use the glue on it with no success, and got my money back :) Happy days. So went and bought the new one witch will hopefully be fitted tomorrow.

Thanks for the help though mate :)

Successful few days for me now :) things looking are looking up.

Managed to get my self the correct gasket for the rocker finally, so fitted that and refitted all the manifold and throttle body and air filter all back in now.

Managed to get the sump off reasonably easily, after two stubbon rounded off bolts it came strait off. Will be ordering a new one tomorrow after double and triple checking its the right one...

Once its back on ill be booking it in for a MOT, fixing any fails and it'll back on the road. After that, new wheels, bigger brakes, and stripage of the interior.

Pics now.

IMG_20130810_180840_926_zpsb7da6cbc.jpg

And one of the shot spark/ht lead.

IMG_20130801_155506_537_zps574845c9.jpg

For the VR6 a sump is a sump but it has to be for the VR6, p/n 021 103 601 B, no others will fit, unless you decide to go R32 alloy sump for the baffling, they are shallower but you need to change the pump for a shorter one and if you do hit them they will shatter, obviously use some good oil resistant black sealant when fitting, VW will sell you their sealant if you want it p/n D 176 404 A2.