Golf Mk3 VR6 on Air - Supercharger.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Couple of photos from last time it was out to keep build alive. 

First photo of my Two VR's together.  Not the best photo, but I had both of them out on weekend, and had to take one     Many more photos of these pair coming when the nicer weathe

I tired to hand paint my rear VR6 badge red, with a small artist brush. I went for hand painting at 1st as I wanted to keep the black outter edge. And didn't want to mask it all up. But it came out s

Few more little tweaks to the engine bay.

Bought some red conduit to cover the wire at the back of the chassis leg.
Not a huge fan of the coloured stuff, but bought some thinking I will give it ago...
if I don't like it I can take it off in a matter of minutes.

P1060147_zps2217745a.jpg
advert stated colour coded cable ties wacko.png who the fuck does there colour matching haha.
I didn't end up using cable ties anyway.

P1060216_zps538d968c.jpg
Used only a small amount from what I bought, only covered the wires that sat over the red paint in this small area.
I didn't like the red not matching, so I colour coded the conduit so it was a perfect match smile.png
Also painted the white clips on the fan control module black.

Alot of the wiring in the engine bay as standard has black conduit on it.
So I bought some more, replaced lengths that were looking abit old.
P1060181_zps12d293a0.jpg

and extend them to cover all the way up to the wiring plug,
Before
P1060178_zps75097ae5.jpg

After
P1060201_zps5550f08f.jpg

Before
P1060179_zpsb97397c0.jpg

After
P1060214_zps989509c2.jpg

Did several areas like this, but wont bore you with photos of ever place.
Think you get the idea.

Also bought some black anodized clamps for a some of the pipes. helps to blend them in abit.
Before
P1060186_zpsef9e4297.jpg

After
P1060187_zps3e50c0d5.jpg

Again did several more pipes. But wont bore you with loads of photo's of pipes with black clamps lol

Had a detailing session again biggrin.png
love cleaning my car on a nice day.... this was a few weekends ago when weather was nice.

After 1st cut.
P1060199_zpsdc299646.jpg

P1060197_zps3a8dee22.jpg

Started at about 9am
Foam gunned, washed using 2 buckets, and grit guards in both buckets. using lambs wool mitt.
Dried using micro fiber large towels.

Then on to the layers, all applied with a Das-6 pro.
Little bit of claying in stubborn areas.
1st Meguiars diamond cut with Menzerna compounds pad.

2nd Meguiars paint cleaner with Menzerna polishing pad.
3rd Meguiars show car glaze with Menzerna polishing pad

4th Dodo juice blue velvet with Menzerna finishing pad
5th Dodo juice purple haze pro with Menzerna finishing pad
6th Chemical Guys black light sealant with Menzerna finishing pad

Plus new set of microfiber cloths, £10 from Asda for 26 of them.
Pull the label off so it wont scratch paint, and there decent quality.
My mates was giving a hand wiping stuff off so it was all good :)

Reflection in paint when finished. not me taking photo. no editing, direct from Samsung S5. refection in bonnet.
20140601_190440_zpsa4080abe.jpg

this was about 7 - 7.30pm so sun was going down as well. i was still finishing the other side lol.

Edited by c00k

Some of the leather inside of the car was starting to look abit warn,

So im going to re-dye it.
P1060225_zpsfc4d79eb.jpg

I prep the leather before dyeing .
Giving it a very good clean, using a leather deep cleaner to open up the pours of the leather.  
then using leather prep, which is just acetone. to remove the leather finish. not the colour just the finish.
Finally alcohol cleaner which is isopropanol or IPA. I realised this after buying the kit haha

As I use both these chemicals in work to clean stuff, and I know the smell a mile off.
Then spray the leather using leather dye a mini compressor and a spray gun on a very light setting.
Same with the leather finish. I went for a satin finish.
The yellow, white, blue, are for tinting the red. Even thou the red is a very close match anyway smile.png
The dye is very thin, but wasn't to bad to spray with a light setting, I'm only using a 1.2mm gun anyway.

P1060254_zps92c25d9c.jpg

My mini compressor I have a bigger one, but this ones cool for little odd jobs smile.png

Only got a chance to try it out on a few small things.

Parts of my gear knob, should of got some before shots. The top domed section was very warn.
looks like new now smile.png
P1060258_zpsbf3aefbb.jpg

My hand brake gator, again the top was quite warn, but looks nice again smile.png
P1060260_zps56ffa417.jpg

I will get some before and after shots when I do the front seats, there will be a few minor repairs as well.
the back seat will hopefully clean up nicely. The door cards I think I'm going to re-dye the leather section too.

Edited by c00k

Just over £35 for the all the stuff mate.

£25 for the re-dye kit, and then about £10 on cleaning stuff. it's only enough to re-do the front seats, and maybe the door cards.
not enough to re-do all the rear seats as well. I only bought a 250ml of each colour.

if it was to buy it again, i would just buy the dye and leather finish,  not the full kit.
as the alcohol cleaner is just isopropanol, and we use this in my work to clean stuff.
and the leather prep is just acetone. or clear no fragrance nail varnish remover, or can be bought in 5L bottles from BnQ, wickes, etc.

you can buy just the dye and finish for around £10-12. and then just buy the cleaning stuff.  

Edited by c00k
  • 2 weeks later...

After dying my hand brake gator, and and parts of my gear knob, and trying a few different techniques.
I was going to re-dye the front seats. Planning to only do both front seats and not the rear seats.
As the rears were good condition, and showing no signs of ware.
This meant that the red had to be a perfect colour match, but more about that later.
I had never dyed leather before, only testing it on my gator and gear knob.
But as with most things I put in abit of research 1st.

You can get a filler for leather, it's called leather compound.
It's just a flexible filler meant for leather
But leather without a finish on it, as it bonds better direct to the leather than the finish over the Leather.
I couldn't wait to give it ago, so I decided to do one of the bolster in the car.

1st deep cleaned the leather.
2nd removed leather finish from the bolster using leather prep aka acetone.
3rd re-cleaned the leather with an alcohol cleaner aka isopropanol.
4th apply leather compound. leave to dry.  

The leather compound can be sanded, I was using light grade, 1200, 1500. 2500 later between colour coats.
So it not to far from body work. and not to hard to do.

P1060232_zps884ef480.jpg
This was the seat still in the car, with the leather compound applied to one of the bolsters.
You can also see the opposite bolster showing signs of ware and tare.

Then it way time to pull the front seats out, and get going....

P1060230_zps4f375ac2.jpg
This was the worst part of both seats, the driver bolster hand 4 small holes were the leatherette had warn away.
It has the 1st layer of compound applied here, but you can still make them out.
Luckily the backing was still there, as the sides and rear of the seat are leatherette,
which has a backing material, meaning I could just apply leather compound direct to the area.
loads of manufacturer save money by making the sides and rear of seats out of leatherette, not real leather.

After a few layer of compound and sanded back. still more work need.
IMG_0093_zps3f2e339b.jpg

Both the seats out of the car,
P1060236_zps9372ab38.jpg
At this point I did look at taking the seats apart, and removing the centers,
I decided against this as the top of the center looks very fiddly to take apart.
Also I would of had to of removed all the heater seat wires,
so I went for masking them up, what a Big mistake this was!
If anyone else wants to try this, I do not recommend masking up your leather.
you will see why later.

Another minor area that needed to be repaired.
P1060249_zpsc7adfaf7.jpg

After compound and sanding
IMG_0096_zps99aeb532.jpg

The rest was just filling small cracking in the leather, in the same way.
leather compound, and light sanding. making sure not to remove to much of the leather grain.

Ready for dying.
P1060275_zps1952887d.jpg

Passenger seat needed a lot less work that the drivers seat.
P1060276_zpse8bff132.jpg

Drivers seat, you can see the how much more work this seat needed that the passenger.
P1060287_zpsc237d1df.jpg

Drivers bolster.
P1060285_zpscb9a9d0d.jpg

Edited by c00k

Passenger bolster

P1060277_zps7d85e4bf.jpg

Then on to spraying the dye,

I used a 1.2mm spray gun, blowing off the leather with and air gun 1st.

After about 4-5 light coats, the 1st couple of layers sucked almost straight in to the leather.

P1060295_zpsa5e5b963.jpg

you can still see the grain nicely, but no deep cracks or marks smile.png

P1060296_zps7ee23a3f.jpg

P1060299_zpsbf9c5a14.jpg

P1060304_zps6372a3f0.jpg

Then on to the leather finish, i went for a satin finish, to match the rear seats.

I put about 5-6 layer of the finish on.

P1060329_zpsda983cbc.jpg

P1060334_zpseaef873c.jpg

P1060336_zpsd4a07879.jpg

Remember the mark in the top of the seat. in the photo earlier.

P1060337_zps2c580a43.jpg

well that's what it looks like now smile.png

They both looked mint!! Until...........

Edited by c00k

I unwrapped the masking tape.

It looks worse that what it is. but this is why you do not want to tape up leather. lol

It pulled off the finish, and some of the dye from the base of both seats. but not the rear part.

But the bases are the most warn areas of seats.

P1060342_zps100d8757.jpg

So it meant I did have to rip them apart to dye the red.

I wasn't risking masking up the the bolster I had just freshly finished.

P1060344_zps4d25f597.jpg

It also meant abit more sanding to even out the base, but nothing that couldn't be sorted.

Center sections removed, cleaned, preped, sanded, and compound started to be applied.

P1060348_zps5097b3b6.jpg

This was the worst area, where some of the leather finish got pulled off by the masking tape.

once finished sanding and dyed you would never tell biggrin.png

P1060362_zps8ee1991c.jpg

The sides of the seat had started to ware and rip. it's not visible once fitted.

But I decided to re-stitch all the sides, as it will help to keep the leather tight.

P1060369_zpsb14f4689.jpg

P1060371_zps082f2e9c.jpg

It's not the neatest stitching, but it can't been seen once fitted back in the bolsters.

RED Re-Dye Section coming soon......

Edited by c00k

While the seats were out I took the opportunity to deep clean and rejuvenate the carpet.
Vacuumed all of the carpet 1st, to remove all the lose dirt.
But there was still dirt that was within the shagpile.

So for the next step I used carpet shampoo, and a brush that attached to my buffer.
It's made by chemical guys, and works amazing!
IMG_07431_zpsc4d5a5cc.jpg

It cleans deep through the shagpile lifting the dirt to the surface, which is then able to be vacuumed away.
I will also be doing the same process to my car mats.

Cleaned the stitching on my steering wheel, as it had gone abit grubby.
New hand brake gator and gear gator with red stitching, in satin leather to match my seats once there back in.
IMG_07351_zps332e1b88.jpg

Stitched some cover over the seat belt buckles. They came with velcro attached to them, but looked crap when fitted like that.
So I removed the velcro, and stitched them together.
1st pining them in position. Then sliding down the arm.
Stitching them slightly tighter lower down the arm, as it get wider at the top.
Then pulling them upwards after giving a nice tight fit.
IMG_07391_zps73d53008.jpg

Gave the rear seats a deep clean, using leather deep cleaner, and a detailing brush.
The brush gets in to all the grain and small cracks in the leather, cleaning much deeper.
IMG_0086_zpsb50eaa20.jpg

Using the brush to lather up the leather cleaner, lifting the dirt out with the foam, and whipping down while still wet.
so the dirt could not soak back in.
IMG_0088_zps70df319e.jpg

Once finished cleaning the whole rear seats. There still slightly wet, that why they look abit glossy.
P1060377_zps6e79bc11.jpg

More to come soon :)

Edited by c00k

I designed and made a new warning label for the rad cover.
Printed it on 10yr vinyl with a matt laminate,
The old one was starting to peal off in places so it had to be changed.

IMG_0756_zps155d4eba.jpg

removed the rad cover. and clean area with isopropanol to remove any left over adhesive from old sticker, and to remove any trim gel.
IMG_0761_zpsacc57973.jpg

Positioned the label in place, and tape in down. to stop the one half from moving. 
IMG_0762_zpsfb824b15.jpg

Laying half at a time. To get correct position 1st time.

IMG_0765_zps47c7e7b9.jpg

Fitted back on car, and re-applied trim gel.
IMG_0771_zps532434f4.jpg

Edited by c00k
  • 4 weeks later...

Few upgrades for the air ride i'll being fitted soon.

458ED430-ECDF-44BF-8DED-220FB135BE06_zps

Accuair vu4 manifold, instead of 8 individual valves, new hardlines rooted in different places, and custom iPhone control.
iPhone controls may not be fitted straight away, as I've made it my self using a Raspberry Pi, and I'm still testing it, and debugging my programming. I used to be a computer network engineer and have done some programming before. Plus I do web and graphics design.
In case anyone wondered. I don't work with cars or in the automotive industry as my day job, and never have. it's just a true hobby of mine :)

Also thinking about getting a new App Radio. So then I could display and control my iphone from head unit plus anything linked to the iPhone wink.png
I can already display my iPhone on the headunit I have now. But can only control music and video.
App Radio can be made so you have full control of your iPhone and control any app, not just itunes.
But we shall see.

Also been buying a few new bits for the engine :)
Got my self this new toy.

D163DDD8-20B4-42F6-B6F1-2BDB477EA72B_zps

88906CE0-B51F-43B6-B6A8-7910410C136B_zps

77DA37A8-775B-452B-A679-BFAD22052413_zps

0D187A89-9DA3-4712-98FD-0FBADFBA826C_zps

Needs new spline bearings, I'll order them this weekend. lucky i had the old bearings with the code on, so I have found a company that can supply me them. Then rebuild it smile.png

Also got some solid and camber adjusting top mounts.
04399E1F-5177-4BC5-84D5-CB94E877D361_zps

Also going to buy or maybe get made, a solid front mount for the engine. Instead of the hockey puck version I have at the mo.

Edited by c00k

Dyed the front seats.

Made a shelter from the wind, as it was quite windy that day....

P1060420_zpsddf1423e.jpg

P1060424_zpsa2b96be1.jpg

not the best photos, as i couldn't find the charger for my decent camera. so had to use my old shitty one.

I did re fit them back in the seat, and put the seats back in the car.

but I haven't got a photo yet.

went through almost the same process as the bolster.

and there a very close match to the colours of the rear seats. :)

Plus im going to dye the black on the rear seats I have decided. Using a small sponge near the edge of the red, applied by hand. Then lightly spray the rest of the black. Leave the red centres, I won't re-dye them. Finally spray a new satin finish over the whole of the rear seats, giving it the same finish and look as the front seats.

Plus I have started to re-dye the leather on door cards too.

So all the leather should be looking almost brand new soon :)