The new project, got my 9" out again... :)

I have spent the whole b/h weekend on my new vehicle, lots of grinding, de-undersealing, welding etc, and lets just say its coming together nicely! :)

Next weekend i will be doing the same, which hopefully would make it a rolling shell....

SHAMONE MUTHER TRUCKER! :)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mythical beast will surely unfold before our very eyes.. :o..Paul you are ;;a A mechanical genius,, 8-),b; A mad fool with big dream,,,, :^) Either way we love ya dude keep the faith and go for it.. :). A faint heart never f****ed a pig lol ;)

So, i basically bought it as a rolling shell, which had the front and rear floors cut out, a box-section frame welded in, and plans for a rwd, mid bike engined car.

002-6-1.jpg

I set about removing the box frame and jigging/squaring the shell, as without a rear panel on it too, it was quite flexible!

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

The car came with a roll-over jig too, which i had to modify slightly so that it worked.

013.jpg

014.jpg

There was a bit of rust in the shell, 1 of the rear arches had been replaced, the other needed replacing, a section of the rear chassis leg and the rear panel fitting.

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Thats all for now, got some work to do!! :)

Once the cosmetics side of the welding had been finished, i started to plan out how the mk3 was going to fit!

So i made a jig to ensure that the mk3 subframe/floor/wishbone mounts started at the same place as the mk1's.

010-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

Then the fun could begin! First by cutting more off of the mk1..

013-1.jpg

014-1.jpg

And preping the mk3 floor with the subframe fitted, ready for trimming...

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

I the mk3 floor cut over-size, so that i had an edge which could be folded and spot welded to the mk1 sill..

026.jpg

028.jpg

027.jpg

Then the mk3 was trial fitted to the mk1 shell...

029.jpg

023.jpg

025.jpg

032.jpg

And with more trimming of both parts, it finally became 1!

038.jpg

039.jpg

048.jpg

047.jpg

046.jpg

045.jpg

042.jpg

041.jpg

040.jpg

044.jpg

035.jpg

What. The. Hell.

Awesome! reading with interest to see how this will end up! Any thoughts on what bike engine your putting in it?

No dear, i think you've got the wrong end of the stick.... it WAS going to have rwd, mid- bike engine, but i've saved it from that fate to have all the best bits from my old (rip) mk3.

Will update more pics soon, got loads!!