£2 a litre soon, seems the Government is only ever right about this subject.

its relevant that the current government is not interested in the people that live in this country' date=' and if you took away the racial connotations of their policies they would be entirely relevant

[/quote']

unfortunately the 'racial connotations' or RACIST and DISCRIMINATORY content of their entire polices and approach and their thug-like activism do them no justice and to suggest that voting for the BNP would solve the issues of high petrol prices seems a little off topic for me :-)

high fuel prices is just one of the many issues though isnt it.

My prediction

People are becoming tired of being a milked afterthought in their own country and being taken from from both sides, then the civil unrest will be happening on our soil.

we don't produce oil, we have to buy it from countries than have civil unrest, the risk is higher therefore the price goes up, unfortunately oil companies can charge countries like us inflated prices, regardless of our tory, liberal, labour or racist government the BNP wouldn't and couldn't change oil prices mate

ok so it was a little right wing of me to say, it was basically for the effect that more and more extreme times will result in more and more extreme action. This example in case is that raising fuel prices over and over to ridiculous costs is only going to have an extreme reaction.

This would also only exponentiate the problem, as high fuel costs to the point where people would no longer buy the amount of fuel they normally would, people SORNing their cars as they cant afford to drive them therefore them not paying road tax, the list goes on, would mean far less revenue for the government, so they would be far wiser to keep fuel costs down to an affordable level to avoid shooting themselves in the foot.

You know that in the light of falling tax revenue they would have to make the money up some other way, which would be some new and exciting way that they were going to tax you additionally, just adding more fuel to the fire (mind the pun) and causing more and more disdain for the government that are only seen as the fat cats who devise more and more fancy ways of bleeding the occupants of this country of all money they possibly can, electricity seems a likely candidate for increased taxation, as no one can live without elecricity, whereas they can most likely adapt to life without a car

just reading a random forum about this and noticed that fuel is actually 50p per litre and tax is 80p so i agree with this>>>

I really dislike the fact that fuel tax is so high - it seems ludicrous to charge so much tax on any one thing, especially as it's a necessity for many. However, I also understand that in the place we are now, removing too much tax would leave a black hole that would have to be re-couped elsewhere. Therefore, for now, I would say equal the tax to the cost, i.e. 50p each to make a standard cost of £1 per litre, which is a huge improvement on £1.30, but still pays a not inconsiderable amount of tax. In the future I would bring it down to VAT as emidee said. Why should petrol be so unfairly penalised? It should be taxed at a similar rate to everything else.

cutting cost on the police is a bad idea. crime rates will shoot up becasue they wot have the man power to cope.

You might think the police dont do alot but, but that really isnt the case

if petrol prices go up then I wont be able to afford to go to work/uni and either will alot of people. More people will join the dole and the country will be worse off! All they are seeing is, more tax, more money. Buts clearly not working to get the country of the recession which is still ongoing. Even though they refuse to admit how bad it really is.

Clarkson for priminester! :)

Yup, breaking up and removing a lot of MOD frontline staff and equipment is a stupid idea too.

It isn't working because we're sending billions in aid to other countries.

That muppet ex chancellor, eyebrows, signed us up to EU debt before he left and policies that mean we have to help and bail anyone out.

Idiots in power do not understand that UK would be better off out of the EU or, atleast, keeping a large wedge of money here.

I remember listening to question time an hearing how Germany is ahead of all EU countries on the debt removal. This being due to closing of borders and looking after their own before anyone else.

We look after everyone else and never ourselves. EU and America are hated by nearly everyone else, so why do we continue to send all of the money from tax, overseas, in the hope we instantly look good. Besides, to help others, we need to be a healthy country anyway. Sorting this poophole of a country out first should be the main priority. I'm all for helping others but why should I help others who now seem to live better than I do.

I think 1.70+ per litre will see me off the road. It will also enable me to say **** you to my job and go to benefits........ in an ideal world..... I have Oliver and Sarah, so I would do all I could to keep my job(s).

The country will eventually grind to a hault as haulage firms go out of business or can't afford to operate here.

• 3 months later...

My diesel bill last week alone was £835! It just means we have to charge the end user more money for travel services and delivery... and yet again the end users need to pick up the tab.

Is it no wonder the UK service industry is struggling!?

My diesel bill last week alone was £835! It just means we have to charge the end user more money for travel services and delivery... and yet again the end users need to pick up the tab.

Is it no wonder the UK service industry is struggling!?

well stop taking the caddy vrT to jobs then ..... lol

• 2 weeks later...