My Black Vr6 3.2, Recaro CS, TT dash, Next stop VW Days :-)

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So today I managed to get stuck in with fitting the rest of the interior, Front door cards all fitted with new door card clips, Next up was to remove the existing dashboard To make way for this,

As some members already are aware I had a very special interior lined up which I collected on Friday. I took the long drive up to Dunfermline to pick this cargo up which ended up in a 1200 mile round

Just to keep this alive, not many updates to speak of other than it's running superb, Attended ultimate dubs back in March and took the trip over to Dubshed in April, here's a few pics from the past

Posted Images

Today i started stripping the engine down to a bare block, all hoses off, inlet manifold off, alternator, oil cooler, oil filter housing, thermostat housing, crack pipe, air con compressor etc etc and this is what i was left with.

SANDCASTLECOMP32PROJECT069.jpg

32ENGINE001.jpg

Inlet manifold getting prepped ready for primer, need some finer grit paper to get some fine scratches out before it gets a full coat of primer.

32ENGINE002.jpg

32ENGINE003.jpg

Whilst i was doing all this in the other corner of our barn my mate was working on his vr,

32ENGINE004.jpg

Then started cleaning the block up, happy with how its scrubbing up at the moment ;)

32ENGINE007.jpg

32ENGINE008.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok so finally found my card reader so here is some updates and plenty of pics of what has been done the past week or so.

Car stripped down with parts removed ready for engine removal

momor32septoct105.jpg

momor32septoct108.jpg

momor32septoct102.jpg

Engine out, Manifolds,Downpipes, Exhaust, Engine to fusebox loom removed along with everything else to de clutter the engine bay.

momor32septoct111.jpg

This is part of the obd1 engine to fusebox loom which will be sent away with the mk5 looms to be made into a custom plug and play loom.

momor32septoct110.jpg

Then set to work of cleaning the many years of road grime from inside the engine bay and components, Quite happy with how well it cleaned up especially the subframe and steering rack etc.

momor32septoct117.jpg

momor32septoct121.jpg

momor32septoct120.jpg

momor32septoct119.jpg

momor32septoct122.jpg

purchased a new rear engine mount and gearbox mount

momor32septoct125.jpg

New rear Engine mount fitted

momor32septoct126.jpg

Seperated the Vr gearbox, and flywheel from the old block, Set to work cleaning it up which took forever, Then gave it a coat of VHT Silver/Grey paint, still unsure on the colour at the moment may stick with it or go with Gloss black engine enamel instead, also fitted a new reverse switch and will be painting the weight in black.

momor32septoct113.jpg

momor32septoct123.jpg

Draft Designs 24v s/s water pipe (crack pipe) in wrinkle black fitted

momor32septoct099.jpg

Engine Hoist brackets painted in VHT Silver

momor32septoct097.jpg

Engine block cleaned, Degreased and painted in black enamel, Rocker cover i just had a light blow over with to freshen it up, unsure if im going to get it polished or powdercoated at the moment

momor32septoct096.jpg

momor32septoct100.jpg

Golf mk4 v6 4motion alternator bracket painted up ready to be fitted to the block

momor32septoct118.jpg

Then the task of cleaning the chassis legs up, cutting any unwanted lugs from the bay that are no longer required, Removing the vw sealant and rubbing down prior to a spot of smoothing which should be starting very soon hopefully.

momor32septoct093.jpg

momor32septoct092.jpg

momor32septoct129.jpg

momor32septoct130.jpg

Engine and gearbox as they stand at the moment, Just awaiting a new Sachs clutch kit so i can get the gearbox bolted up to the engine.

momor32septoct116.jpg

Ordered a set of Powerflex subframe bushes which should be here tomorrow then once i get a new front engine mount and bracket i should be looking good for a trial fit in the coming weeks if it all goes to plan. Also got the remaining part of the mk5 R32 loom i have been on the hunt for (full interior/fusebox loom) from a nice chap over on the R32OC so that will also be ready so i can send away with the other looms to be made in to a custom plug and play item :)

Nice progress' date=' the rest [b']shouldnt take too long now!

That's funny coming from the man who's taking sooooo long to get his done lol

Very true but if mine had been N/A it would have been on the road three months ago! LOL!

• 1 month later...

I should really update this thread with some progress and pictures once I have uploaded them, as it stands the engine bay has been smoothed, not fully but just the chassis legs and inner wing areas I'm just in the final stages of sanding down which has takinsoapot of hours in the past couple of weeks, hoping to get some primer on soon and a few coats of paint. Also what's been happening this week as follows -

Purchased 3.2 ecu which arrived today

Sent all my looms away to have a custom vr6/r32 loom created

Clutch kit and new front engine mount arrived

Parcel of new bolts/washers from vw arrived for flywheel, clutch, engine bay etc

I should really update this thread with some progress and pictures once I have uploaded them, as it stands the engine bay has been smoothed, not fully but just the chassis legs and inner wing areas I'm just in the final stages of sanding down which has taken alot of hours in the past couple of weeks, hoping to get some primer on soon and a few coats of paint. Also what's been happening this week as follows -

Purchased 3.2 ecu which arrived today

Sent all my looms away to have a custom vr6/r32 loom created

Clutch kit and new front engine mount arrived

Parcel of new bolts/washers from vw arrived for flywheel, clutch, engine bay etc