Fuel Filter - Do we really need to??

Ive been flicking through the Bently manual and looking at the service intervals and what needs to be done and when to make sure ive covered everything.... when i got to the bit about fuel filter it says it is designed to last the lifetime of the vehicle and that it should not be replaced unless blocked or contaminated by using the wrong fuel etc.

Does anyone here bother doing theirs?? I did mine in my mk2 as it was a p*ss easy job but i know on the vr its a bit more of a mission so if no one does theirs then i wont do mine, saves a few quid too... :)

I had it changed of my old VR along with an oil flush and it made a big difference. Not sure how much of it was the new fuel filter. It made a massive difference on a mk1 gti I had once, just the filter swap and it was ALOT fasted. Reckon it's worth it, they're only a few quid.

ive done leads, coil pack, air filter, cleand isv and airflow etc on mine and still had slightly lumpy idle.....done fuel filter other day and its noticibly better! wouldnt say it was any harder than a mk2?? 2 bolts for the surrounding cage and 2 jubilees......

generally they do not block up like on the older cars theyhad metal tanks that corroded plastic ones dont so shouldnt really need doing the fuel nowadays is normally clean but obviosly could still get bits in it so could be worthwhile for such a small outlay

It's not that difficult to do - fuel filters are usually not part of a service oddly' date=' but I have seen some threads before of people who have cut a fuel filter in half and the inside was filthy!

[/quote']

Just changed mine, thought I might as well as I've been undersealing the whole car and the lines and filter were on the floor anyway. Only a 2 min job.

Im in the garage tomorow if I get 5 i'll open the old one up and have a look (its got to be 6 years old). I'll post pics if i find anything interesting.

It's not that difficult to do - fuel filters are usually not part of a service oddly' date=' but I have seen some threads before of people who have cut a fuel filter in half and the inside was filthy!

[/quote']

Just changed mine, thought I might as well as I've been undersealing the whole car and the lines and filter were on the floor anyway. Only a 2 min job.

Im in the garage tomorow if I get 5 i'll open the old one up and have a look (its got to be 6 years old). I'll post pics if i find anything interesting.

Sounds good, I'll do mine when I eventually get around to doing it :)

Pete

pics as promised:

one crusty fuel filter:

DSC00007.jpg

cut the top off - the insides:

DSC00008.jpg

the outside of the filter compared to the inside:

DSC00009.jpg

Couldn't see any large particles of dirt/grit/rust etc (not like the days of my minis!) but as you can see the filter has turned black over the years, so worth changing for peace of mind if it hasnt been done for a while.

• 2 weeks later...