anyone running straight through exhaust

I have just bought a stainless steel exhaust with de cat and a 6 branch stainless manifold.

the system has one thin round centre box and then the back box.

If I cut the centre box out will I have trouble with sound limits on track days.

or will it be too loud full stop.?

You may well have issues on track days as i know javelin have lowered the noise limit to 88 on some circuits.

My first vr had 6 branch, Decat, luggage box removed and rear box and that was noisy! 98db really droney on long hauls too! But if u love the sound of the vr then it'll never be an issue :)

^^^^^as above.

I run a 3" system, with a small straight through silencer, then a straight through backbox. It could almost do with another silencer as it does get on your nerves on long jounrneys, but i've got no room!

Does yours really need the center box cutting out?? If it flows striaght through the box it shouldn't restrict the flow too much.

Most performance exhausts are "un-baffled", they have resonance chambers to help eliminate the drone that they can produce. A company here in Walsall installed a 2.5" system on my VR a few years ago, and it was so loud I had it taken off and replaced with a Jetex system. They tried to fob me off by saying "It's loud because the boxes are straight through". The real reason is that they didn't engineer it properly and the system was acting like a trumpet. Basically, a system with no resonance chambers, like you want, can be relatively quiet. You just need to make sure the volume of air in your exhaust system is sufficient so that the noise doesn't fart out the tailpipe!

i got a 6 brance, and stright throu 3" system with just a small back box ... can sit at `cough` 90-100 `cough` on motorway and its quite untill u hit the loud pedal and all hell breaks loose scares women and children and some men ..... lol as for DB not sure aint tested it yet will when i get back from the ring ...

• 1 month later...

Anyone had any trouble with their exhausts with the Police?

The VR ive got is loud especially at 60 on the motorway (awful drone). 50mph or 70 and its quieter. around town at 30 its lud in 5th, drop it down to 4th and its ok, still loud but not deafening.

But I would like it quieter. Its got a 6 branch, decat through to a scorpion backbox. It sounds mental on full chat and pops like mad (you would think some1 was firing a machine gun). What can I add?

Thanks

(got a strong smell of fuel round the back aswel, but its not leaking)

i got a 6 brance' date=' and stright throu 3" system with just a small back box ... can sit at `cough` 90-100 `cough` on motorway and its quite untill u hit the loud pedal and all hell breaks loose scares women and children and some men ..... lol as for DB not sure aint tested it yet will when i get back from the ring ...

[/quote']

it's VERY LOUD!!!

chaps(esses)...

Some good points in this and here is my 2p worth..

This comes down to getting a well engineered product.. I have had made to order systems before and they all work and give you the dBA you need and they are engineered for no drone/bypass/screacher pipes etc etc.. but you pays for whats you gets... and they can cost as well as needeing a service every year..

On a budget level the best I have found that gives me a nice subtle sound and low dBA until the peddles are pressed are the Longlife systems..

As long as you spend some time chatting to the techy people at HQ first (confirming your middle name isnt asbo mc'chav), then they understand your needs

Then the costs are the same as say a Miltek system.. But with zero (minimal) drone at motorway speeds etc etc...

I have mine which is good enough to make peole look trying to figure out whats different (combined with the charger whistle) and is still rated correctly for my charger so it breathes correctly..then when on song everyone turns and looks ... looking for something much more exotic than a red more door.. :D

I would recommend you dont do a straght through as a level of pressure is needed by the engine system (air pump) where you may make it less restrictive but lower your BHP overall.... or certainly make it less drive-able.. (subject to a remap)

Finally to pick up on the final point. They will make you a silencer to pop in and will/should not cost you the earth.

Give 'em a go and see how it works for ya'

And Matty you gotta leave the 'Boro to escape the 'boro girls.. :D