R32 or hand my car over to Stealth

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ben it just seems far too much money to be spending for 260-300bhp. You'll only end up getting bored and want more boost! Mines charged and runs 270-280bhp, but the old girls not even a daily drive (my choice). It's going next year though, I've decided on something a little newer but will have to use every day.

I'd much rather a sweet R with a map and high flow cats, you'll see good power for that combo, 250-260 bhp maybe.

If it were me I would stick a Rotrex charger on it and get the engine fully rebuilt :)

Or. . . . R32 conversion and a Rotrex charger :)

With the VR you would be looking at 330BHPish and with the R32 you would be looking at possibly around 500BHP ! Andy at Storm had ti sorted at our last rolling road day and it ran 490BHP off the top of my head on standard internals !

Trouble with a newer car is they just do not have the character and looks of the older cars.

I also see no reason myself to spend money on a car that is only ever going to go down in value from now on. With your VR this is less of an issue.

If it were my money I would go for an R32 conversion and still have loads of money left over for a respray some wheels and then superhcarge with the change if the 240BHP was not enough for me :)

Mark.

All this talk about turbocharging! The Rotrex solution is the only way to go and you can drive it every day without any reliabilty or transmission issues if you choose the right clutch/flywheel combination.

When I was at Storm Andy showed me an R32 and R36 engine, which I might add is only £2500 -£3000 new and easily tunable to 350hp normally aspirated. The improvement in development and technology over the VR6 is so evident!

As I have said before, if I was starting from scratch again I would start with an R32 lump then the Rotrex.

It may be worth looking at it from the point of view that what car is totally reliable with 500hp? For sure the R32 will handle power without any ill affects but it will always come down to how you drive it. You can eliminate some reliabilty issues with good maintenance and mechanical sympathy. Storm have a 650hp twin Rotrex R32 which starts on the button and I would imagine is fairly reliable.

I have had absolutely no engine troubles with mine at all what ever the conditions. Even the transmission has been fine, admittedly its only been a 1000 miles but I see no reason why it will not last 10s of 1000s more.

Im going to Agree with Jays 2.9 in this, no matter what you do with the money in our current car you are literally going to be throwing money at a 10 year old Golf, and it will be worth far far less in the future than an R32

Sure you could buy a 4motion but like Jay says its not an R32, there are many differences between the two cars beneath the skin and IMO its always going to be second best, whether its supercharged or turbocharged to an R32.

After two months of owning an R32, revo stage1 map, non res miltek, and carbonio CAI later i can safely say its the best car i have ever owned and would recommend one to anyone

Just had a look and found this on E38

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106178

Bung a turbo on this and get the best of all worlds ;)

that 4motion looks sweet!! if i could sell my vr6 now' date=' id buy that tomorow! wont have enough cash without selling :(

[/quote']

that 4mo is on ebay at the mo.

and i wouldnt spend any more cash on a 10year old car 1 of thr reasons i got rid of mine there not getting older .

mk4 4motion

Weight 1401 kg

Engine size 2792 cc

0-60 mph 6.9 s

Power Output 204 bhp

Torque 270 Nm 199 lb-ft

Top Speed 146 mph

Valves 24

mk4 R32

Weight 1512 kg

Engine Size 3189 cc

0-60 mph 6.4 s

Power Output 237 bhp

Torque 320 Nm 236 lb-ft

Top Speed 153 mph

Valves 24

mk3 VR6

Weight 1155 kg

Engine Size 2792 cc

0-60 mph 7.4 s

Power Output 174 bhp

Torque 235 Nm 173 lb-ft

Top Speed 140 mph

Valves 12

WOW thanks for all the advice fellas :) knew if I asked on here would get plenty of good advice and lots of differing opinions. So going to take all this on board and go and have a long think *-)

I do want as much bang for my buck and I would like a more modern car so am leaning towards a 4 motion or R32 but would hate to give up the VR :-(

i had a look at that car on pistonheads wouldnt it be better to go for an unmolested model that was box standard?...............my dad once told me "it's not what a cars worth thats important its what its worth to you "....i too came into some money and rather than let it burn a hole in my pocket i ummed and arrred for ages, the trouble with money is you can only spend it once, i too could have spent 14k on a motor, but didnt, i spent 4k and smile everytime i look at my bank balance.................just my opinion thats all..............good luck for whatever you decide to do..................oh yea and i smile every time i look at my car as well !............ :-p

the mk r32 is epic if i had more money i would have got one instead of the 4mo but a 4 mo is not that much slower as its 30 - 40 bhp less u can get the 4mo to the same speed as an r32 for little money granted its not an r32 but its still a v6 4wd golf thats very gd in any condition

I have also heard that the R32 is a little dissapointing to drive.

It's fast but it's just not as much "Fun" as the VR

Go and test drive one and see what you think.

But then imagine that power AND more in your VR shell ;-)

I know what I would rather have !

Mark.

WOW thanks for all the advice fellas :) knew if I asked on here would get plenty of good advice and lots of differing opinions. So going to take all this on board and go and have a long think *-)

I do want as much bang for my buck and I would like a more modern car so am leaning towards a 4 motion or R32 but would hate to give up the VR :-(

How you doing Ben. :) Do you have to give the VR up?, you could always store her and bring her out when you get the urge. Then you have best of both worlds and have the car of your choice as a daily runner. Insurance i am guessing would be the problem but i bet there are curtain restrictions you could apply to keep the VR's premium down.

Just a idea.

Sean (B)

In a perfect world i would have to have my old vr6 engine in my 4 motion as the sound was something else a lot more raw than the 4 motion 24 valver, but you cant have everything you want and i think putting an old 12 valve v6 lump in a 4 motion would be too much of a step back.The original 12 valve v6 is still the best sounding engine i have ever heard,but times move on