So how come we all ended up with this passion for VR6's in all their shapes and sizes ??

I know looking at car history threads that loads of people have had plenty of VW's in the past but equal numbers have not.

For me it was simple, I love VW's but also wanted something a bit special and that went like stink :-p for not huge amounts of cash. I was introduced to the VR6 by a mate who let me take his out for a test and that was that ;)

So how did your fascination begin ???

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well..... i Needed a second form of transport(job change) So i brought a bike (125) then I needed a car. So I was following a mk3 gti home one day from work and thought I want one. I was going to start modding it and someone said why dont you just get a VR6. Went to look at a few and the rest is history. I love my vr its everything I want out of a car. :-d

Well my story started back in '92 when the first Golf VR's came on to the market.

I was about 20 ish and working on service reception in a VW dealer (actually it was definitely a STEALER!). The boss had himself a brand new J plate demo. I think I was allowed to move it a few feet one day and that was it me smitten! You got an instant sense of the power.

Then about 4 years ago a mate that works at an Audi dealer took in a dragon green 3 door with decent history for a very fair price. She has been with me ever since being very slowly modded. :-)

Steve

had my mk2 8v for about 2 years n just wanted something quicker, so i went out looking at Leon cupras, mk4 20vt and A3 20vt's, i saw the soon to be my vr advertised in an autotrader rang the guy up and he said it was sold.

looked at 5-6 more cars over the next couple of weeks and nearly bought a Y plate Blue Leon Cupra 180 but a couple days before i was due to go and pay for the cupra, the guy with the VR6 rang back and said the sale had fell thru, i went up n had a look and it was Mint with FSH and stacks of receipts. we went for a test drive and i basically bought it as soon as he put his foot down n i heard that noise!

it proved its still a match for the new stuff too on the way back from inters, i was side by side my mates in a 4motion and an S3 all goin for it n neither could get past :)

My passion started after visting Inters a few years back when it was at Ipswich.

Just loved the way it looked so understated, it was like you had to be in the know to know what sort of Mk3 it actually was,

And when heard going up the strip they sounded so cool that i had to have,

That and getting a load of stick from my mates as i only had Mk3 8V Gti at the time. LOL

The short answer is this site :-)

The long asnwer: My mothers first car was a white beetle and I ( finally ) passed by driving test in a MK2 Passat, which barely fitted in the test centre car park! So I've been a subconcious dubber for a while. The week after I'd had my arse severly whopped in a MK3 16ver at a run what ya brung day someone at work was selling his VR6. I snapped it up and did a yahoo search for VR6. THe rest, they say, is history.

I saw a yellow one in max power when i was 15ish, it had been supercharged and the article just kept on about the acceleration of it and that the camera car pulled level with it at 100mph and the vr6 owner waved and floored it and shot into the distance, wanted one ever since! My charger should be here any day now aswell!

basicly i got a mk3 1.4 as my 1st car and it got me into dubs...kept it 3 years until i really was BORED of it...was looking at a gti 8v/16v....went and nearly baught a 16v but it fell thru at teh last minuite..i had a look and realised vr6s werent much more (3k ratehr than 2500) 2 years ago) so went and baught the first vr i looked at.

so basicly didnt get one esentaily for the power but just fited my price range....but now i like the power

I'm slowly working my way around different sports cars, from a Punto GT to a Fiat Coupe Turbo, to the VR6. I've liked the Mk3 for ages just never found one I liked or had the cash to spare. So will keep the VR for a few years and then find another unique sporty car which not many people have which is reasonably priced!

Also my sister has threatened to get Mk3 GTi for years cos she loves 'em, and I'm very competitive. Just in case she gets one she won't stand a chance!!

My dad has always had vw`s and always the golf .He buys a brand new one every 3 years when the warranty runs out ,and has always sworn by their reliability as he is a dam good mechanic and knows his cars.Oddly enough it was`nt the golf vr that 1st caught my attention it was the corrado ,but i have a vr6 now and thats all that matters.It has lived up to all my expectations and after wavering about another type of car all together, has always ,including this time ,drew me back in ,so much so i am going to buy the exact same car again,maybe different colour this time.

Ya gotta luv em

and gotta own one before you die

Thats an order soldier

I'm slowly working my way around different sports cars' date=' from a Punto GT to a Fiat Coupe Turbo, to the VR6. I've liked the Mk3 for ages just never found one I liked or had the cash to spare. So will keep the VR for a few years and then find another unique sporty car which not many people have which is reasonably priced!

Also my sister has threatened to get Mk3 GTi for years cos she loves 'em, and I'm very competitive. Just in case she gets one she won't stand a chance!!

[/quote']

Yeah, your sister just cant have a quicker car, its wrong!, thats why mines getting charged coz my sis bought a scooby

i must admit always been a vw fan i had a mk1 1.1 when i was in the army 25 years ago then i sold that and bought another 2 more mk1 but both gti then i got the vw dub in my blood i went to buying some fords and then had about 5 mk2 all gti but all 8v great cars then i needed a big people carrier not a sharan but a ford galaxy tdi but vw engine and nearly all the car was vw

then to back in the vw again said to wife this galaxy is 7 seats to big lets get vw gti again. then i i saw a vr6 for sale whent to see it put a deposit on it whent back a week later to pick it up and it looked crap so lost my deposit and walked away

when to look at a few more but a couldnt find a good one so i ended up buying a mk3 gti 8v loved the car but still wanted a vr when to see some more. found a good one bought it still had the mk3 gti sold that few months later seen another vr highline bought that so had one and my wilf had the highline it had 150,000 miles on the clock and what a car it drove spot on. got a bit skint only sold the highline because i spent lots on my vr 3 years on still love it but next will be R32 when they every come down in price

Dad owned a mk2 8v gti which was ace which got swapped for a mk3 vr6 for my mum and a Corrado VR6 for me (I was 22!). Lots of sports cars in the mean time but wanted a reliable powerful motorway mile muncher for the commute that wasn't too much money. Up came a 97 VR6 for £2k with FVWSH and the rest is obvious :P

• 1 month later...

Well, I think I was born in a VW...lol

My dad used to be a mad V-Dubber. His first was in the early 60's, a white Bug, then he had a red bug, a Variant, another bug in red (which is my earliest car memory I think). Then we moved onto pop-top campers! Had three of those and they were just fantastic! Had soooo many adventures in them, every weekend or school hols it was "right kids, get packed up we're off to France" or somewhere equally daft.

Then sadly Pa had to change his vehicle to an estate car (zzzzzzzz Volvo) because of his work and no more V-Dubs were had after that until my mum finally passed her driving test aged 50 (!) and got herself what I called the 'Backwards Bug' the reg was (GUB...something something something N...can't remember the numbers bit..lol). She used to chase me all over the show in it when I was wagging school..lol...but of course that rattly old 1300 engine could be heard three streets away....giving me adequate time to leg it and hide! Tee hee!

My first car was a company car and yep, it was a crackin MKII Golf Driver. Absolutely loved it and was a bit gutted at the old moving job thing and car had to go. I didn't have a car after that for about 8 months believe it or not but then got on my feet and bought my Uncle's Ford Orion 1.8i Ghia..lol!! Hey it was ace! It died though when I'd got it to 135k...had a series of crap cars in between and only recently was thinking about a MKII GTi.

Seemed the whole world around me were gettnig new wheels and I thought stuff this, it's time to stop farting about with Italian cars (Damn Fiat...go on...laugh at me!) and get something a bit mad.

I've been going through something of a re-invention this year, of myself and what I want and who I want to be. Divorce does that to you, and taking time to remember your life before the dreaded marriage took place..lol.

So quite simply I thought right. That's it. I'm going to buy a completely mental car and to hell with it! The garage I got my VR6 from (in Derby) had a MKIII GTi in stock weeks ago and I missed out because I totally forgot to ring them back. Checked their website again and lo and behold...like a Holy Grail shining in the distance was THE BEASTIE!!!

You will all CRY when I tell you how much I paid for him and what I got in my PX deal......I frightened myself really and was stunned when the man shook my hand to agree to everything I asked for! :):):)

Now for a tattoo to complete my 'I am getting worse in my old age' thing...haha! Thinking about it maybe next week or if not, in a few weeks time. No Mam & Dad chav stuff though. Nice tribal design and hidden from public view! :)

Sorry for big rant but that really is the story of how I came about my VR6! :)

well i got a new job and earned alot more money than i used 2 , so i saved up 3k and had a look at wat i could afford but wat ever it was i wanted it to be the top spec or as some would say the DADDY,

i had owned a mk3 before but only a 1.4 but iv allways liked the way that they look so i when and looked at a blue cc 16v but i thought it was over priced, so i scanned auto trader and saw a vr6 golf advertised as a high line with all the toys, so i whent and had a look it was up for 3.5k fsh etc etc ,

but when i got there it was a late mystic blue with the beaver leather so first ting i said its not a highline ,

test drive it got back and pretended i wasnt too kean on it and said id giv you 2.7k as its not a highline and to my supprise the guy said yea !

iv never looked back scince and iv had the car 8months now and love every day of it !