I've just ran Vagcom and it came up with quite a few faults, so I cleared em all down and they never came back so i'm assuming they will be fine. Only other one I got was one I expected and that was a front right wheel speed sensor.

Just thought i'd say what a great piece of kit this is and saved me taking all 4 wheels of to check all the sensors.

I ran it on sisters Lupo and cleared her faults as well, so its nearly paid for itself already

I bought the cable (KEY USB) from Ross Tech while I was out in the US this past Summer. I decided to invest in VAG COM simply because I was cream crackered at having to pay £30 - £40 for a fault to be 'read' by a machine.

I paid £115'ish all inc. while in the US (exchange rate) - and I'm stunned to see that this piece of kit is being sold here for £200 (inc.)...

Latest version of the software rocks, unfortunately though the VR6 doesn't support many of the 'funky controllers' to really customise the vehicle's working :( Anyhoo, if you buy the official cable, you can download the latest software on ANY machine and it will work in 'full on' mode due to the cable acting like a dongle. Simple, fast and effective :o)

If you only need it for reading/clearing codes you can get one of these handheld readers from ebay. I got one a couple of months back and it has paid for itself over and over again, a great bit of kit!!! ;)http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GS100-OBD-2-CHECK-ENGINE-SCANNER-CODE-READER-EOBD-OBD2_W0QQitemZ330035819118QQihZ014QQcategoryZ30921QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you only need it for reading/clearing codes you can get one of these handheld readers from ebay. I got one a couple of months back and it has paid for itself over and over again' date=' a great bit of kit!!! ;)http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GS100-OBD-2-CHECK-ENGINE-SCANNER-CODE-READER-EOBD-OBD2_W0QQitemZ330035819118QQihZ014QQcategoryZ30921QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[/quote']

Is this just a simplified version of the one that costs £200??

Sounds like it might come in handy!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Do you need one of those readers or can you just use a cable from ebay to connect to a laptop with Vagcom installed and get Vagcom to read and clear the codes?

James.

Using a laptop, cable and software is the proper way to do it, the hand held ones are a cheap (but still effective) alternatative to the full VAG com that you are on about!