Glad to hear the 'ringers' had fun in Germany over Easter - I was up in Cumbria.

It's the first time I've had a chance to rag my VR6 properly up the Hartside pass in warm dry conditions. Now I understand why VR6 people bang on about aftermarket oil coolers.

I've been up there in winter and in the wet, and the oil temperature hasn't risen to 110 degrees on those runs. Cruising between 120-130mph the oil temp is about 106. But 5 miles of mainly 2nd and 3rd gear red line cainage (I averaged 10.6 mpg!) and the oil temp went from 96 at the start to 118 at the top.

Not that I'm worried about the oil getting this hot, but I know that if this car goes to the 'ring the oil temp could get fairly serious. Hopefully the higher average speed will mean that there's sufficiently more air rushing through the engine to keep it cool.

Went down it a couple of times too - and I have to say that pagid fast road pads are awesome. They don't seem to fade - and I was actually trying to get them to. You can get them seriously hot and smelly, but they keep braking firmly. I didn't find the limit - which is very good, I suppose, even though I like to know where the limit is...

Bikes are slow on corners, but great at blasting up hills ;)

i avergae about 14mpg to work every day but only live 2.3 miles from work. the ring is more about higher speeds than your average a/b road, but the twisty stuff commands respect for sure. speak to seademon from off here as he's a 'ring veteran in the grand scheme of things!

I must say I have been a bit concerned of late with the whole oil temp thing. Mine hit 110 degrees the other day whilst i was showing some plum in a 206 XSi that i could pull away from him with ease as 110 mph. I let him sit on my bumper only to see him shrink in my rear view about 5 or 6 times when i riggled my right toes and took it to about 125mph.

I'm thinking that when the weather eventuallly warms up I could be looking at higher oil temps whilst cruising over 100. I'm tempted to invest in a cooler just for piece of mind as I have no real intention of making mine a track car. I have heard from other owners that 110 + degrees for short periods is not a problem for VR's but i guess the cooler the better?

No not really, mine was about £130 and a couple of hours to fit, easy little job though.

Used to see temps up to 125, now it can't get over 100 however much i try ;):D

Won't help your fuel economy though ;)

Mind you, i can't get into double figures these days, around town i get about 4mpg sometimes :o !lol

Don't worry, thats not coz of the cooler :D

They say the vr is fine running up to 125 degrees, but anything much over will cause permanant dammage.

WOW my temp has been running at about 158-162 all the time once the rado is warm, the vw tech said it was fine and not to worry about it. So maybe I should get a oil cooler. now can I put one in the stock bumper, if so how big of a job is it and how much could it cost?

and one more thing names of some good oil cooler kits would be nice, if anyone knows

Thanks Travis

WOW my temp has been running at about 158-162 all the time once the rado is warm' date=' the vw tech said it was fine and not to worry about it. So maybe I should get a oil cooler. now can I put one in the stock bumper, if so how big of a job is it and how much could it cost?

and one more thing names of some good oil cooler kits would be nice, if anyone knows

Thanks Travis

[/quote']

You're in the U,S of A aren't you RADOMAN93?

I expect you're temps are in Farenheit and ours are Celsius. 160F = 71C or 110C = 230F

but the fuel gauge does plummet!

A 48 litre tank on the golf 3 is quite small. When combined with the VR6 engine' date=' it'll always look like the needle is moving. Most other cars run tanks around 55-60L.

[/quote']

Ah i like that, makes me wallet feel just that tad bit better! :D

Spindat-Dub - don't worry about it hitting 110 on the motorway. If you are concerned about the temp while cruising (or flooting it) at very high speeds then a good bet for you is a low-temp thermostat.

I have one of these (Neuspeed 160degF) and now the temp never hits 110, even when cruising at a consistant 130mph+

At about 100mph the temp never goes above 100degC.

The only reason that mine got so hot so quickly is becasue I was driving it very hard up a twisty fellside pass mainly using 2nd & 3rd gears. This is where an oil cooler would come in very handy I reckon. And on the 'ring too.

Earwig-Vr6 - yes I was redlining it and hit the limiter several times on this 5 mile, 1300ft ascent. I'm not usually so harsh, but sometimes I need to see what it's really capable of ;)

As far as I can tell, it'll go bl'dy quick, and it can do it reliably. Just what the doctor ordered.