Just fitted my ramair....thinking i should have been more patient and gone for a bmc kit at the moment,the sound is great but i not sure if the car still pulls as hard,....i'm not expecting to gain any power but think i'm looseing power higher up thew rev range.....the car used to have a nice kick around 4500rpm, ....this appears to have gone, i know lots of you are running various filters so your feedback would be greatly appricated :)air_filter.jpg

[ Edited ]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hummm i seen to agree with you tommy i feel that since i have had my ram air on the car i have lost power aswell just doesnt seem to pull so hard mid range :? ,

but yes it sounds bloody great :-) but i have been thinking this and just thought maybe its me and its just the sound that is making me think that...!! only had it on a few weeks, i think im going to just put the normal one back on and drive it again and see.....lol :D

I put mine on at the same time as the exhaust & re-map so mine was set up to cope with the extra air. Are you still running standard exhausts? Cos if it can get the air in but no gasses out it may be strangled a bit at higher rpm.

Hi tommy. Feel a bit responsible as i was persuading you to get a cone filter! Just to say I have a ram-air and im really pleased with it, great noise!

I thought the car did feel a bit different with it on, cant really describe it just felt a bit more 'free'. It also changed the exhaust note a lot i found - much louder and with loads more popping. i have a supersprint system btw.

Mine looks different to yours though, its smaller and is a cone shape.

ok, thanks guys and girls for your opinions :) ...i did notice that in the instructions it does say that it may be necessary to re-calibrate the fuel mix by 0.5% above standard,have any of you done this?...can you you do this?.......i thought the fueling was controled by the mas and ecu B) so is such adjustment possible with out a remap B)

[ Edited Mon May 10 2004, 07:29PM ]

Well as far as non scientific test results go:-

I have a 94 VR6 with a pipercross induction kit and no other mods, my mate has a 97 VR6 with a Ramair kit and no other mods, as you would imagine, both cars are pretty equal until about 4k revs in 3rd, and then i start to pull away. It does seem as though the ramair stifles power at 4k revs. But there are so many variables that it might be nothing to do with the induction kit at all. I have to say that the pipercross kit is better than the ramair, i've had both, but tempted by a BMC unit.

Well as far as non scientific test results go:-

I have a 94 VR6 with a pipercross induction kit and no other mods' date=' my mate has a 97 VR6 with a Ramair kit and no other mods, as you would imagine, both cars are pretty equal until about 4k revs in 3rd, and then i start to pull away. It does seem as though the ramair stifles power at 4k revs. But there are so many variables that it might be nothing to do with the induction kit at all. I have to say that the pipercross kit is better than the ramair, i've had both, but tempted by a BMC unit.[/quote']

Hum....that does sound abit like mine at the moment....... could be running a bit lean higher up the rev range as more air is being forced in B) but if that is the case shoulden't the mas sense more air and increase the fuel automatically....any ideas any one ?! ?! %-6

[ Edited Mon May 10 2004, 11:25PM ]

i second that , mine is also the same i do really believe that its not as quick ect top end.... :-( im still running standard exhaust, i think im going to stick my air box back on it and drive it she what happens and if it feels better im keeping like that till i get my exhaust and try again i think.... ;-)

i think i'm going to take mine off and put the standard box back on too :( ......the car is going on the rr at the end of the month so will run the car with and with out the ramair.....will keep you posted on the results.....may also see about upping the co by 5% see if it's an improvement higher up the rev range :?

Induction kits are a waste of time, especially those ridiculous RAM air things that make the MAF look like it's sprouted an Affro.

The stock airboxes are actually tuned and do a much better job than people realise.

Been there, tried em, back to stock and loving it.

some ppl are going for the grunty noise though.. like me with my massive k&n. also if you have a cat back system and a few other tweeks, then the standard box is too restrictive, so once remapped the filter becomes better than a standard box on a modified car.

Yes i agree thats the reason i wanted one because of the noise it sounds sexy to say the least...lol but as i still have a standard system i think i will put the airbox back on till i can afford to up-grade my system but geeeezzzz am i going to miss the Roar....!!! :-(

slightly off topic, but have to say it was a tad nippy on sunday for your chosen attire paula! not that many i spoke to were complaing, lol! thank the lucky stars it wasn't sunny or all eyes would have been on you!

lmao.....i was fully dressed !! :?

had 2 tops on come to think of it and a coat later on... nothing wrong with wearing a low cut top is there now.... ;-), if u got it flaunt it thats what my mum told me... :D

And if it was sunny then i think i should get oneof them tops those 2 girlys where wearing in the pink cabby...

'' if the sun comes out the top comes off''.....lol !amazed did anyone see that ??he he