intermittant "splutter" in low revs

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds rather like dampness amigo :( , VRs seem prone to it... take the coil pack off and plug leads and dry gently in the oven until fairly warm to touch then spray liberally wif WD40 alternatively coat in Silicone Grease !shy then refit, then you should be OK for a short time.....Try that and see how you go.. :P

• 2 months later...

update on this as its still not fixed..

only happens after 30 mins or so of driving, when its cold its fine.

idle seems to fluctuate badly, need to rev car to start it or it dies, lights/blowers etc. dim when idle fluctuates.

getting this fault code:

00533 - Idle Speed Regulation

14-00 - Adaptation Limit (Add) Exceeded

could all these be related to the spluttering/rough thing im getting from the engine?

yeah seems simlar m8.. well i no for a fact my isv needs replacing so i got to do that.. i had a quick look in the throtle bodie today and it was gunked right up.. so im gonna take the tb off and clean that.. i also noticed that my rad bottom hose was cold even tho all others was red hot so im gonna change the thermostat.. try ur bottom hose see if that is cold to m8??

Before you change your thermostat, the bottom hose is supposed to be cold. As the coolant cools down in the radiator, it goes to the bottom of the radiator and then enters the engine again. AS the coolant warms up it rises to the top of the engine where it leaves the engine through the top hose into the radiator to be cooled down again. Sounds as if there is nothing wrong with your thermostat mate.

Sos mate! Been off line for a bit, just read it today as I'm having similar prob with the sputtery thing and was looking for guidance. Normally if a thermostat knacks it will start overheating as it dont open when it should so the coolant can,t get out of the engine to the radiator to cool down. I have yet to have a car where the thermostat sticks open! Better late than never (friendly advice that is)

jim

jimbo if yours is 96 P its defo an obd2 engine with a different on board diagnostic model and a slightly bigger throttle body to obd1.

cleaning it should make all the difference (atleast its free to clean.. except a coupla quid for carb cleaner)

keep the post updated with results.... good luck - easy fixes are the best!!