just got busted doing 145mph

Just my two pennies worth on this grimmest of subjects.

Firstly bad luck mate - but you must have known you were pushing your luck at 145!!

With regard to solicitors; personally I wouldn't bother.

At 145mph no magistrate in the country is going to let you off without a ban.

I reckon the length of it will depend on who you're up in front of.

I read hundreds of threads on the pistonheads website before I went to court - well worth doing. A lot of convicted speeders seemed to think that a solicitor can actually have a negative effect with a clever argument in court.

I just stood up, looked as pathetic as I could (easy for me to do) and said that I realised how irresponsible I'd been and that it was out of character (almost true).

I still got a ban but I like to think that I got off lightly (4 week ban,

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe if your car can do it and surroundings allow, then why not!

Its not like he was doing 145 down a residential road, if so, then I'd be against that totally! But the A3 is just a straight road and by Guildford, its deserted!!

If I had a car that could hit 200mph, I'd do that on a road, everything permitting of course! I know soo many people, some personally, some through forums that have done in excess of 180.. I've personally done 182 being passenger in a mates car.. 175 on the road in question. Seen 160 soo many times in friends Cosworths on the M25.. At that speed, the drivers were fixed on the road in front, it was clear, so why not!

Its a big risk for the sake of some fun, but it happens everyday! Especially when u have it on film to look back on!

becuase if you lose control on the motorway, other people can die, even if the road is clear at the moment....

145mph is TOO FAST on public roads, no matter how much of a hero you think you are, no normal driver can handle 145mph with the reaction times involved. Its plain dangerous, I can safely say i've only ever done 139mph and that was on the autobahn, where it was legal and it DEFINATELY wasnt safe, not in our golfs that wiegh about two ounces at that speed.

I think our golfs are probably good until 100mph, and i dont feel comfortable above that...

i think ur unlucky for being caught, and they will hit you so hard (figurativley) that you won't be doing that speed again for a very long time m8....

its a message to all of us i guess.......

its all to tempting when you have a fast car , i have hit just over 180mph a couple of years ago on my private road ;) , but have to admit that i realised that the track is the only place you can do this without the possibility of endagering others. I understand what your saying and as i have said i am not inocent of doing the very same things, its just when you get caught you cant do it again and after you come off the ban you have all the other crap that comes with it, trying to get insured for one, and when you doing you will pay over the odds premiums for the next 3 years, any car that is slightly quick most insurers wont insure you on, its a snow ball effect. But good luck. And as anorak said, prob best to be honest and upfront and take it on the chin

My 2 petheth worth.

When the roads where built and speed restrictions were in place the cars of that time were not as fast as they are now,I had a MK1 Lotus Cortina when I did a ton in that my god you knew you were going fast,nowdays a ton in a modern motor is nothing braking distances handling and tyres make for a much safer drive at high speed.

I agree that 140 plus can be deemed as wreckless and a lapes in consentration could be fatal for you arnd any car near you.But if the road is empty why not have fun , at worst you can only kill yourself.You could always say you want to be a copper and you were just familerising yourself with the roads ;) .

I believe if your car can do it and surroundings allow' date=' then why not!

Its not like he was doing 145 down a residential road, if so, then I'd be against that totally! But the A3 is just a straight road and by Guildford, its deserted!!

If I had a car that could hit 200mph, I'd do that on a road, everything permitting of course! I know soo many people, some personally, some through forums that have done in excess of 180.. I've personally done 182 being passenger in a mates car.. 175 on the road in question. Seen 160 soo many times in friends Cosworths on the M25.. At that speed, the drivers were fixed on the road in front, it was clear, so why not!

Its a big risk for the sake of some fun, but it happens everyday! Especially when u have it on film to look back on!

[/quote']

I can gurantee you wont be saying that when you get caughy my boy!

i can definately vouch that people cannot judge normal road speeds of other cars let alone ones travelling twice the speed limit, i have driven emergency vehicles at those sort of speeds (justified by the nature of the call) and even with lights and sirens blaring they dont notice you!!! we just have to take it on the chin if we get caught or have an accident, we know the law if we break it its there to hurt us financially or buy removing our right to do something, its a tough one sometimes but i dont think you will do it again in a hurry!!!!

I wont be saying that If I get caught cos I wud have just done it :D lol Its not something you do everyday though, goin top speed would be something you do on rare occurences to say you've done it! If I see a chance of going flat out, know the road ahead and know that there is no where the police can be hiding or can actually see everything flat out ahead (there are roads like this before someone disagrees), I'll put my foot to the floor, pretty much like most petrol heads would! I believe in raising speed limits, if not totally riding of them on motorways, you take it on yourself to drive how you feel, as the law permits on most autobahns. If I didn't think like this, I'd be driving a diesel rover 200 and not bother tuning!

Also, some cars are sooo easily capable of super high speeds at comfortable rates.. On the Gumball 3000 (This year) on the way down to Dover, we were sitting at 145 and a Kleemann S class undertook us, when we were all chatting at the port, he has footage of the clock reading 205mph while he was driving with one arm..lol That wasn't anything compared to some of the other drivers, somethings sooo silly, you just had to laugh.. Off topic, but thought I'd share

We all know that none of us are angels and we do like to stretch our legs i played with an R32 on M1 doing 120 but then he left and i was down to 80. What i think is daft is coming onto a car forum and saying you got caught doing 145mph and wanting a reaction. Sorry the reaction is COCK!!!!

We all know that none of us are angels and we do like to stretch our legs i played with an R32 on M1 doing 120 but then he left and i was down to 80. What i think is daft is coming onto a car forum and saying you got caught doing 145mph and wanting a reaction. Sorry the reaction is COCK!!!!

Fishing for sympathy, you mean. No, I don't think so. I'm sure he just wants to know what will happen next and figures that many of us will be experienced in this area....

Just gutted you got caught. i dont mind a bit of 140+ every now and again, and it is just a case of timing. that speeds not for the daytime, more evening when the traffic is quiet. and deffinately for motorways.

just cant believe people are slating you for doing it. id imaginr they have tested the top speed of their cars before, the bulk of which were just lucky not to get caught, you dont need praise as it is just stupidity i know, but everyone has fun and yours just turned against you. good luck anyway.

Just gutted you got caught. i dont mind a bit of 140+ every now and again' date=' and it is just a case of timing. that speeds not for the daytime, more evening when the traffic is quiet. and deffinately for motorways.

just cant believe people are slating you for doing it. id imaginr they have tested the top speed of their cars before, the bulk of which were just lucky not to get caught, you dont need praise as it is just stupidity i know, but everyone has fun and yours just turned against you. good luck anyway.

[/quote']

I'm not slating just not got any sympathy for anyone doing that sorta speed...most i've done is 130mph on a very quite A road at about 3am.

Like someone has said it only takes a slight drop in concentration and .....BANG...... one dead person at least

agreed....use your car responcably, it's a 1300 pound piece of metal travelling at 140mph it will go through just about anything...it will lose its shape, it will crumple your bones like twigs, your life will end quickly, but your shattered form and your smashed car will continue to travel and destroy any pedestrians, property, children in the vacinity.

When they try to pull your decomposing body from the wreckage they will not be able to seperate you from the ball of aluminium that was you *vr6*, you will be remember as a boy racer who kill yourself, endagered others and inevitably paid the ultimate price. No one will mourn your loss.

--- hard words, but its the only way to make you think.

i dont need harsh words like that to make me think, i know exactly what im doing when im driving at 140mph, i understand that it takes one split second to go from fun to a nighmare. but thats why its fun, its all about risk.

you all say you have done 110, 120, 130, so how can you lecture the guy. what would have happend if you had an accident? would you say, oh, it was a quiet a road and there was noone about i didnt expect it.

i completely understand the dangers of high speed driving, ive been in a few accidents myself as a passenger, luckily (and i emphisize lucky) no-one was injured barring bruises. but thats the risk you take. put it this way, if you drove that fast, crashed and died then it was your time to go, and if someone else is involved then it was their time too. i could fall over, hit my head and die, why not do it while im enjoying myself. if your gonna go, make it a good exit. he he.

realise, no-one got hurt so just see the lighter side of the situation. sorry doxer, i know you cant really, lol. but i bet that coppers face was bland when he seen the engine. lol.

and thats matty "no remorse" hanley's few quids worth. ;)

I'm the first to object when money-grabbing camera partnerships prosecute thousands of perfectly-law abiding motorists for going 5 or 6mph over the limit, but 140mph IS a different matter.

You've got to remember, a public road is an "uncontrolled" environment - you could run into debris on the road, a patch of oil, black ice or just about anything else without any warning and the consequences can be lethal.

It's a shame that racetracks aren't made more accessible to the Public here in the UK. I find it amazing that, in these days of draconian speed enforcement, new racetracks are not popping up all over the place. There would be so much money in it, and businessmen all over the UK must realise this. Maybe our nanny Government blocks applications for building new racetracks, preferring us to spend time on "safer" passtimes, like sitting in front of the TV, getting fat and dying of a heart attack at 40.

i think that you only live once and live life your way,no point thinking when you are 75. i wish i had done more when i was younger,take your risks and if you get court take it and move on. do what think is wright at the time and never look back in life .you could die tomorrow