sealant when installing mls headgasket?

im going to have a go at installing my mls headgasket with spacer plate  and new chains  on my vrt project whilst im off for christmas im sure i have read in some threads about some kind of copper seal used when installing the gasket is this correct or is the gasket installed dry if you know what i mean!

thanks neil

When installing the spacer plate, like i have done on a billion of them its important to use the copper spray. Here is a trick that not too many people know about. The best way to install a spacer plate is using the MK4 VR6 head gasket. This gasket as you know is very much different from the MK3 one, and increases compression on MK3s because its thinner. But here is the sweet part. The MK4 head gasket is the only one you can split into 2. Cut the rivets and split into 2. Copper spray both, including the plate. Place one gasket on bottom and other on top of plate and torque down while copper spray is tacky. It will never blow never has with me!

When installing the spacer plate, like i have done on a billion of them its important to use the copper spray. Here is a trick that not too many people know about. The best way to install a spacer plate is using the MK4 VR6 head gasket. This gasket as you know is very much different from the MK3 one, and increases compression on MK3s because its thinner. But here is the sweet part. The MK4 head gasket is the only one you can split into 2. Cut the rivets and split into 2. Copper spray both, including the plate. Place one gasket on bottom and other on top of plate and torque down while copper spray is tacky. It will never blow never has with me!

I thought most people knew yo use the mk4 gasket, that's more of a shock to me that people didn't know

Brilliant bit of info!

I'm going to be doing this soon as well!

Cheers buddy. :D

Heaveily cover it copper spray?

Or just a nice light mist?

You need to completely

Cover it with copper spray! As if you were spray painting it completely! This will assure a solid seal. Allow it to dry a bit to a tacky feel, then install and torque down brother!

Thanks for the info guys, just to be certain is the copper spray applied to all faces of the gasket and spacer plate including the the faces that meet up with the block and head? Also where do you guys get the copper spray from?

Yes, apply to all faces of the gaskets. And all faces of plate. Also, you can find this copper spray at any local autopart store brother.

im going to have a go at installing my mls headgasket with spacer plate and new chains on my vrt project whilst im off for christmas im sure i have read in some threads about some kind of copper seal used when installing the gasket is this correct or is the gasket installed dry if you know what i mean!

thanks neil

Oh here something i forgot to mention! Since it is boosted, i highly recommend to go dual chain and sprockets if it isnt already. Many people have different opinions on this but from my experience dual chains provide a very strong base for Forced induction. You run a higher risk of chain bouncing and teeth skipping when tensioners slightly begin to fail with single chain and sprockets compared to the dual. And update your upper and lower tensioners and guides.
  • 2 weeks later...