Relationships and the VW Golf: Conflict or Harmony?

This is my first post and thought I'd tackle a subject that is affecting me presently.

I am a family guy who is enduring a marriage that has so far lasted 15 years. We have 3 kids

and 2 cars.

Yes 2, it used to be 1, it was only ever 1, we shared 1 car and now I can't even remember the car we used to be.

I warned her, I told her once I get this dream job- I want my dream car. Simples. Yeah. So I got the job and I got the car- '97 R VR6. Its an Auto because I thought she could drive it now and then- trying to be fair coz she passed on an auto licence.

But oh no. According to her I've wasted money and been far too impulsive. She even knows about my relationship with the MK3 having owned half a dozen. The last one was a special one a '97 R GTI 16v totally standard in black and in bang tidy condition. What's so special about that I hear you say? Answer- the date of first registration was 13/10/97, I was born on the 13th Oct. So imagine the pain I felt when my licence got taken away,lost my job and was forced to part with my machine.

I cried man tears.

For years after I would not look at other golfs, if a mk3 ever came in eye shot, I would feel this twisted wrenching emotion. Why did I let go? I had no choice but I made a vow that I will get another. I knew that matching the reg date and date of birth was a one off but vowed to roll once again in a mint condition standard mk3.

Ladies and gentlemen its here and I've never been happier.

But she isn't.

Don't think I can change how she feels.

We bicker and when we argue she throws in the VR.

But I smile inside, I actually f*****g glow inside and shut out her noise by planning my next weekend drive.

Please share your thoughts on being in a relationship and owning a Golf.

Are you facing conflict? Or are you in harmony?

I've had close to 50 different vehicles, sometimes changing 3 times in a year. I currently own 3 cars and have a van for work, you can't imagine what kind of conflict I have at home over parking as my partner also has her own car and expects to park near the front door so she can unload the shopping?! The joys of being a petrol head!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have had quite a few arguments with my other half over cars especially when it comes to spending on the golf. But the way I see it and I have told her on many occasion it's my money I will do what I feel like with it. I always make sure all bills rent etc... Are payed and what's left over is mine I have told her when she decides she wants to pay half the bills for the car then she can have an input. Plus I don't complain when she buys shoes lol. The way I see it is if you have worked hard or your money you should be able to do what you want with it.

Edited by Reaperx

My other half doesn't drive and if she as much as sergested in passing her test and using my VR she would possibly go missing.

She doesn't see the hype in a mans best friend and whilst she's quite mellow about me and my toys I would never rattle her cage.

All cars are a chunk of metal to her and that's the way it will stay. She just doesn't need to be educated because that may cause problems........ Hahaha

Whilst I feel your pain I live in harmony.

Edited by VR6CABBS

It's a tricky one mate, especially when you've been married for as long as you have. I'm 28, not married, and 12 months ago split from a long term relationship. Things weren't right for me and it didn't feel natural anymore. We argued quite a bit towards the end, and like you, the VR was thrown in most times.

The thing that annoyed me the most, was I payed all the bills, the rent, council tax etc etc, but she still had the face to tell me I didn't need to buy "that car out there" an the money would have been better spent on "us" as she liked to put it. Some women will never understand the concept of my cars are my hobby, my passion and she was one of those women. I definitely lived in conflict back then.

What's more, she goes out spending her Christmas money from her family on clothes in the sales, mine had to go on the electric bill. Final straw but I'm just having a rant now sorry.

That said, I've started seeing someone new, and so far, she's quite understanding, time will tell I guess.

My girlfriend loved my Bora as it was comfortable and had heated leather seats.

She hates the VR as its noisy, uncomfortable and cold.

Never causes arguments as my money is mine for the golf and hers is hers for girl stuff.

As long as the rent is paid and we have food its fine

Mine loves the vr so I'm quite lucky in that way. We did have a massive argument once because she wanted to go in holiday and I hate going abroad especially any where warm. A week sat in the sun on a beach is my idea of a nightmare. So i told her if she paid for half of my car (my hobby) I will pay half of the holiday cost (her hobby). She soon realized it works both ways and has been ok since. Now when I told her the other week I was looking into getting my motorbike license (for work I'm a tester if I can legally drive it I can test it) she flipped out lol.

I have a vr6 and my other half loves it , he's just purchased a mk4 gti , he wouldn't ever dream of having ago at me over a car (tho maybe I do have a little moan when he buys too many parts for his when he was meant to be searching for some for mine )

Up till last week I had two cars and a motorbike and himself one car , now we have one car each and I still have my zx6r - which caused havoc with parking as we live in one of eight flats with private parking

The only rows we have is whose car to take out , or whose to work on first ,

Point being she should support your passion OR leave you to get on with it and not throw it in your face ,

BUT I agree with An above comment and say yes convert it to manual or trade/swap it for a manual

Few tips I have learned

Get parts and goodies sent to friends/parents houses and fit them there and hopefully they won't notice

If they do, don't tell them the actual price that they cost you

Don't complain to your Mrs about how much you spend on fuel

In summery just lie about everything you spend on your car and don't let them catch you sat staring and day dreaming about how good your car is looking after you have just given it the full works clean polish and wax because women seem to think that any attention and money that you have to give should be going on them and only them.

Sent from your mums iPhone using Tapatalk

That last statement from you surrey, couldn't be more true.

Here here!! Let's all tell lies and live happy, cancel Christmas because let's face it Father Christmas is a prick, and an inconvenience! we could all be spending that money on a worthy cause such as a VR not pesky kids!

EDIT......

Bah humbug!!

Edited by Big J