what kind of car kicks a VR6s' arse?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And nice to say its a 2.8 VR6... not when your telling the saxo bloke that just beat ya from the lights though... lol

To be honest Mark he'd probably be shitting himself or drooling from the noise of the VR! And when the Saxo's have finished struggling to pull the skin off a rice pudding, he may be able to still see the rear of my VR disapearing well into 3 figures! :P

wont need a can opener, just a good fart on the side trim will be enough to ripple the roof and blow the doors off! we can all jump up and down on it then and watch it fold up like my daughters pram!

[ Edited Sun Apr 04 2004, 10:59PM ]

maybe someone should organise a strip meet with the saxo boys v vr boys.tell sixappeal to bring his hiab' date='a big skip and a can opener?[/quote']

Think the Hiab may be a bit of overkill for the Saxo boys, I think I have some tin snips somewhere though! :D

wont need a can opener' date=' just a good fart on the side trim will be enough to ripple the roof and blow the dorrs off! we can all jump up and down on it then and watch it fold up like my daughters pram![/quote']

Top work dubloke, had me in stitches...

Well, one thing, go-faster stripes aint my style.. think my car's styling speaks for itself.

I'm merely putting a VR6 engine into my car for the sake of doing a cheap engine conversion which I can stick my schrick on and then add a blower, not knocking it, just saying, it is slow for such an engine when in standard form.

I've been in many, even driven many working for VW, Polo GTi's give them a run for their money which my mate was loving, MK3 8v and 16v's keep up with them, and 150bhp 20vt's keep ahead of them... I would get a 20VT, but being a student, can't quite afford it all in one go...

I find a 2.8 lump pushing out there abouts 180bhp a tad poor, I know when modified well, they can move. But the ever on going comparison against the 20VT will always make the engine look limp when comparing speed figures due to F/I...

You just can't compare a 20VT against the VR

For everyday, the VR is better and sounds ALOT better which is the reason im going for it, aswell as it be ALOT cheaper..

8o) :P !amazed

Flame me all ya want but its my oppinion

[ Edited Sun Apr 04 2004, 11:14PM ]

well talking about the vr being lazy, you gotta remember that the 20vT is that . a 20 valve turbo. compared to the 12 valve N/A. so yeah its going to feel lazy cos it isnt going to rev as nice as a 20v. back to the saxos tho. anyone seen a blown vts? jesus they shift. lol. talk about bang for ya buck. i had a friend who seemed to stop at 100mph when trying to beat me in his vts, i just left him. now he has it turbo'd, and i still win. off the lights, due to a lack of traction, but at 100mph its his turn to sod off up the motorway. ha ha.

think you're wrong there mark i have to say. and i'm sure i'm not the only one thinking the same! the vr is a lighter quicker car than a standard 1.8t, thats a proven fact! and as for the 174bhp the standard 2.8 lump delivers, its a known fact, and disclosed on here somwhere by acf8181 i think, that vw made the engine to be at the bottom of its capability with plenty to be extacted from such an engine! how long has mina's car been around? maybe not without its probs, but how many high bhp turbos around now will you still see with the same setup in 5-6 years time? we all love your car, and i think the vr will change your mind once in for its driveability alone! the 20vt aint the ultimate setup everyone thinks it is!

I've been in many' date=' even driven many working for VW, Polo GTi's give them a run for their money which my mate was loving, MK3 8v and 16v's keep up with them, and 150bhp 20vt's keep ahead of them... I would get a 20VT, but being a student, can't quite afford it all in one go...

[/quote']

This wouldn't happen to be the same Silver Polo GTI I dished out a whooping too on the way home from No-Rice then Mark? I think James will quite happily say there was no comparison between the GTI and the VR!

typed that while on the phone' date=' so may not make sense!![/quote']

No I think it was your original one concerning Saxo's which didn't make sense Mark, lol! Once its fitted and your living with it every day I'm sure you'll see the error in that 1st post!

Nah, I was referring to my mate Tas's black one..

But James says that he was keeping up with you, was just on the phone as I read your reply, said that you even commented on his performance ..lol

I definetly know that the VR is under tuned, look at it compared to other 2.8's..

I most definetly am not 'dissing' the VR6 engine, but just saying I find it slow for the size of it and I always will think that.. I know once tuned, which mine most definetly will be, they can be a fun engine, especially when considerin the Golf isn't really a performance coupe!

LOL, book figures alone show that a VTS cud accelerate quicker, this backed up with being in a VR while havin a saxo pulling away just gave me the oppinion that no one hear likes, as Acf181?? said saxo's can and do give a VR (Standard) a good run..

But fair play, saxos are shite i know, but its still a fact 'saxo VTS's are quicker'. I hate french cars and Im saying that!

The VR6 Golf is a heavy car aswell as being what I'd call old technology, the VR isn't alll about speed, i can see that by the way the V6 4motion is advertised in work (VW)... The VTS is a light shite car that was made to go "fast"...

Nah' date=' I was referring to my mate Tas's black one..

But James says that he was keeping up with you, was just on the phone as I read your reply, said that you even commented on his performance ..lol

[/quote']

LOL, actually your right he did keep up with me on the M25......... on the restricted by camera to 40 mph bit! :P

all small-medium french sporty cars are quick than they deserve to be thanks mainly to the shocking build quality and spritely engines! i think what most of us are trying to say is, in our experince we have not come across a saxo, g40, 106, or polo/lupo gti, to name a few of the smaller hot hatches that has given any major concerns where performance is concerned! i would certainly say that mine, as well as many others on here(six, mangold, tommy, pete etc) have cars that are well looked after and serviced/tuned more than is annually needed! this helps in the performance dept no end, as can be seen by the rr results table!

Bloody hard to keep up with my mates 106 GTI on the twisties though, admittedly its been chipped and got throttle bodies etc, but that thing handles like nothing else i've ever driven.

there again, torsion bar rear suspension, like most frenchies! predictable lift off steering at work! need to get yours sorted in the handling dept methinks then have another go! first item on the agenda when buying a sporty mk.3

Not sure if anything i do will match it for handling though. Its 'supposed' to be one of the best handling cars ever made. I've seen it thrash pretty much anything thats not 4 wheel drive on twisty b roads.

I've seen a standard apart from semi race slicks, 106 gti round a track and air field, and it pulled away from many expensive 'sports' cars bar the Caterham 7's...

Even got video of it!

The handling of a VR6 is a totally different issue,

dont think that shud be started on...lol

The 106 GTi was actually (not sure if it still is) Jeremy Clarkson's 3rd favourite car of all time.

Another FACT.

They must do something right..

But another FACT is.. I chopped my 106 to buy a VR because of one thing.. BIG POWER!

By christmas I'll have 300bhp hopefully.. you'll never see ANY Production Peugeot with that kind of power ever!

Yeah got the clarkson video, they only didn't make it the winner because of the way it would look, they said that on video, not my conspiracy theory. At the end of the day a pug 106 is a french shopping trolley, with great handling or not!