what kind of car kicks a VR6s' arse?

it ain't that far. i'm from madienhead (m4, J8/9) and it takes me about 90mins to get there.

brands hatch is near you, but i'm very careful about which tracks i'd be willing to take my vr6 on, and brands isn't one of them...it's a very tricky little track with not much run off. i'd only go on donnington, rockingham (expensive) and silverstone (again, expensive) in my road car.

remember that your road insurance doesn't cover you, very few road insurance comanaies will upgrade your cover . you can get motorsport insurance, but it has a very high excess and doesn't work the same as road insurance (they don't 'total loss' cars, they just pay towards fixing it)...oh, and if someone takes you out, they have no responsibility to pay for your car.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mate works for Audi and says the new A3 3.2 is awesome and has gorgeous sound.

Drove round Brands a few years back whilst working for VW on the Bora launch day. Got to do a few laps in a V5. Thats as close to a track day I have been to. Well along with a spin round the Bowl at Millbrook and the Mountain circuit for the Lupo lauch training.

Both events wicked fun.

i tried it on with a 2.2 prelude tonite, i was pretty much playing with him, and he was overtaking alsorts to get away from me. i have just set my dampening to v.low on ma spax coils too, so i was cautious on the twisties. its gettin bumped back up to rock hard and dropped again tomorrow as i didnt like the body roll. he he.

• 2 weeks later...

I think everyone is missing the point in this debate. The real question should be, what can you buy for £5000 that can beat a VR6? And a standard one at that. You can spend a few grand supercharging a VR6, and it might well beat a standard scooby. But if the scooby was also modded? You wouldn't stand a chance. Lets not forget the main point here, and thats that we have amazing performance:budget ratio.

I can't think of anything thats not imported, that you can get for £5000 in mint condition that'll beat a VR6 to 60mph. And thats why i've just bought one!!

!amazed

I'm getting a VR6 engine, but in my opinion they are damn lazy and slow enignes!

I know that Golf GTi 8v and 16v's dont sit far behind them!

Saxo's beat them

U need to spend alot on them to get em to move which is a sahme, but end of the day, they're a nice motorway engine which sounds awesome and cheap conversion! :D

And nice to say its a 2.8 VR6... not when your telling the saxo bloke that just beat ya from the lights though... lol

mmmmnn, gotta share your pessamistic view there six! if you want power why not put the 1.8t lump into a mk.3. its been proven to outperform the vr in terms of money spent=big bhp gains. so why is it that so many companies who have done both as demo cars, and indeed individuals on here and other sites, always say as a car for everday use in the performance market, the vr would be weapon of choice for its driveability? i think this thing about the saxos is wildly out of proportion somewhere! my mate has a pug206 gti sp and stands no chance against my vr as proved on many occasions home from work, and that has more power/weight than a saxo and handles better! my old 106xsi had 120bhp and was outgunned against my vr at avon park and on the way there and back!

I'm getting a VR6 engine' date=' but in my opinion they are damn lazy and slow enignes!

I know that Golf GTi 8v and 16v's dont sit far behind them!

Saxo's beat them

U need to spend alot on them to get em to move which is a sahme, but end of the day, they're a nice motorway engine which sounds awesome and cheap conversion! :D

And nice to say its a 2.8 VR6... not when your telling the saxo bloke that just beat ya from the lights though... lol[/quote']

Mark your asking for trouble making comments like that :o !

You know its the daddy of normally aspirated VW engines.

silly silly people...there is nothing wrong with the power, performance, torque if the vr6...it's the gearbox ratio's that let it get wipped by some embarrasing cars...but this is also the reason why it will drive along at 140mph all day!

1.8t...sounds like a diesel...and which do you think will last longer, 1.8t or a vr6?

Saxo's beating VR6's? Its possible with a Ferrari engine under the bonnet and 1000bhp of NOS maybe. What is it with people?! Mark i bet you think that sticking go faster stripes on the side of the saxo increases bhp by at least 50!

Saxo's beating VR6's? Its possible with a Ferrari engine under the bonnet and 1000bhp of NOS maybe. What is it with people?! Mark i bet you think that sticking go faster stripes on the side of the saxo increases bhp by at least 50!

to be fair, the vts will give the vr6 a run for its monay...but who really cares, it's a french pile of poo! would like to have a long runway to see what happens beyond the 100mph mark tho ;)

acf8181- i was trying to make that point about the 1.8t in my post, it may be easier and cheaper to obtain silly bhp figures for it , but in driveability and long term reliability its always gonna come up short! plus its a right dog round town when maxed to the limit! the vr is the winner all round i think anyway, even a 1000bhp ferrari engined nos monster would struggle against someone with your driving ability in a vr! bring it on saxo people! lets see how many we can make implode on the road!

I've just bought a VR6, and looking to chip the car, anyone know of prices, potential power increases and best places to get it done? Also my car is a 94 L plate, does that make it an OBD1 and what does that mean? Cheers lads