[moved] My VR6 handles like sh*t too!!!

Just a quickie, I want to uprate the suspension but am not sure whether to go for Koni/Eibachs or a Bilstein Sprintline kit. I know everyone rates the adjustable konis but I'm not convinced I need adjustability, I just want the car to handle vastly better than it does as it is. I also know Bilstein have a very good name, and as an uprated, matched kit that also happens to be cheaper than the koni/eibach combination is there a reason why I haven't heard much about the Bilstein kits?

Help!!! Has anyone got the Bilstein Sprintline Kit?

which ones the sprintline, is that the more expensive kit that bilstein do, or is that the streetline.

my mate has the more expensive bilstein kit on his highly tuned nova, and it is very good indeed. the ride is superb. but then another friend has the koni/eibach set up on his mkII golf and it to is superb with good ride.

my preference is the koni/eibach, simply for the reason that if the ride/handling isn't quite to your liking you have the option of fine tuning it.

but quite simply, both kits are great and you'll be happy whichever you go for.

(note that i've never been in a vr6 eith either set up)

Hi, the Sprintline is the more expensive of the strut and spring types, it is not either of the coilover types, but it is the uprated springs and dampers rather than just the bilstein version of the original equipment.

My adjustable damping Spax PSX kit failed miserably after 2-3 years use - all the oil fell out and the springs snapped eventually. Utter garbage - but maybe I just had a bad batch?

Now I've got the Bilstein Sprintline kit. I bought it from Eurocarparts and fitted it myself - I didnt want to go with adjustables again as I dont do track work and had no use for them - I just wanted something that was good and not likely to fail. The Sprintlines were the most expensive of the 'basic' non-adjustable kits on offer - so thats why I went for it.

No problems yet - its been on for about 6months - I checked the dampers and they are nice and dry, thank God. The ride is very good - not too hard - not too soft. Very pleased actually!! The handling is less stable than the Spax kit, mainly because the Spax was much lower, and harder damped - which although meant it cornered well, could not go over pot-holes or small ridges in the road without knocking your teeth out.

It not a particulary mad low kit either, but it is lower than a standard VR6.

One thing about the kit - the Bilstein shocks have a LIFETIME warranty (by warranty it means just the parts are paid for - not labour......) - so as long as you own the car etc.... read the small print on the leaflet in the box. The Springs have a 3 year warranty from Eurocarparts themselves. The springs are not made by Bilstein they are Gmax or something.

Hope this helps....

Jules

Andy

I have just had the Koni/Eibach setup fitted, and find the handling is great, I would say that with the state of the roads around Oxfordshire sometimes it feels a bit harsh, but then on good roads the car just gives me so much more confidence.

The big downside is that the rear shocks, can not be adjusted on the car!, (they are adjusted by rotating the damper so many turns)

I am still fine tuning the set up to find my preferred settings, & also with additional tracking etc (which i am informed needs to be done a couple of times until everything settles).

Would definitely recommend them, IMO.

Hi' date=' the Sprintline is the more expensive of the strut and spring types, it is not either of the coilover types, but it is the uprated springs and dampers rather than just the bilstein version of the original equipment.[/quote']

yeah, sorry i should have said non-coilover kits.

We have Weitec spring and damper kits on our VR's. The drop is not too mad, but looks good and still practical for every day driving (i can still scrape the nose if i am not careful. Mine has adjustable damping, which if i was to buy the kit again, i would not bother with.

Actually I've just checked their website and seen the red suspension kits as they call them with Vogtland springs. Would these be a good combination??

I think six appeal has vogtland springs with his koni adjustables and rates them very highly

Yep, they came with my Yellow adjustable Koni's in an SSK kit, spoke to Koni direct and they said they are the best combination for the VR. I can't rate them highly enough. When I looked into who they were, turns out they do a lot of the springs etc.... on the Indy and Cart cars in the US Racing series.

Just been for a blast round some amazing country roads near aberdeen (Banchory - fettercairn for the locals) and my VR6 handled like a bag of sand!!

Need to get this sorted now!

I have been quoted £400 supplied & fitted for a Bilstein Streetline Kit and have seen an APEX kit for £227 delivered

Both kits lower 35mm which is all I am looking for. I don't need adjustability, and as the car never cost the earth, don't want to spend £600 on coilovers.

I guess I want something decent, at up to £400 very max, but preferably I'd like it all fitted for under £400.......

Anyone heard anything about APEX? Or more word on the Bilsteins???

Cheers

Mike

i have the apex sport kit on my vr currently and it performs very well indeed for the money! certainly tightens everything up a treat, and if you dont want adjustability or really stiff suspension then i'd certainly recommend them to you!

To be fair, the Streetline kit is only Bilsteins interpretation of the standard shocks and springs, the Sprintline is 30% uprated al round I believe. Still can't decide though! Sprintline for £300 ish, Konis/Eibachs for £400 ish or Koni kit for £470 ish. aaaagh Almost as bad as the Schrick decision!