• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuck ! I ligned up tdc and when I went to put the tool in the grooves where lower and the tool did not go in. I then turned 180• then the tool was only going in on the inlet. If I turned tdc more it goes out of line but the top lines up. Is this cos the chains have stretched. Do I lock it their and when I tke the chains off line tdc to the mark whilst the chain is off.

When I have both chains on and I want to check that the timing is right can I just put the top cover on and wind the bolt all the way then rotate twice. (is that how I should check) also is the intermediate sprocket supposed to be timed what will happen if it's not.

from my experience on building up mine the intermediate sprocket must be lined up using the mark through the hole with the tooth on...i did not do mine properly and paid the price bent 8 valves but lucky not to damage a piston valves aint cheap at 30 quid a pop its worth getting it right and then you will find that the cams and the chains line up perfect mate....

i read that too its props right but i put mine to the 12 o clock position to be safe... from there its all plain sailing,, just be sure to line your flywheel up and put the locking plate in for the cams and once all in give a it a couple of turns full cycle to check and bobs your uncle... what head bolts are u using??

Cheers mate I lined mine up to the 6 but thought I should line it to the 12 you can see it better. I haven't taken the head off so it is as it was the plate is in just putting the new chains on now I was waiting for the yellow coloured guide that te tensioner bolt presses against and it came today. Once the intermediate sprocket is lined I will put the top cover on temporarily and go round twice on the crank. Hopefully nothing locks up and it all lines up.

if you wrap something around the box,,i used an old timing belt..lower the car down on the axle stands as low as they go with a trolley jack under the engine lower it more and get a bit of an angle to lift the gbox into position.... i found it easier to take off the bracket for the mount ....just be careful not to rip a drive shaft boot. if not get someone to help you more hands the better

Cheers dude. Basiccly I took the starte out and probed it I'm bot sure if I done this right. I earthed the body and age live to where the wiring plugs on.their was no action. Then I pulled out the mechanism manually and probed it then it work but only cos I pulled it. I don't understand I think the starter has gone cos it's not spinning.