Dans vr6 turbo build thread UPDATE NOW FOR SALE,check car for sale section

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hnc in mechanical engineering, i work in the aerospace industry and just finished my apprentiship, it may make it run more efficiently, well it must do something i shall sit over the weekend and do some sums as i have to do a project for the final bit of the course, which basically can be anything, so im thinking lightened flywheel and lower the compression and show before and after results, with moments of inertia and stresses and strains on the material etc :)

Lowering the compression ratio is purely to prevent detonation, but is now a legacy of old technology :D

Modern turbo engines like the TT RS's run 1.2 bar on 10:1 because of the direct injection.

I was speaking to a chap who builds drag cars recently and he said their 2000hp engines run 15:1 compression and 2 bar boost! And a diet of Sunoco 118 octane fuel of course ;-)

Lowering the compression ratio is purely to prevent detonation' date=' but is now a legacy of old technology :D

Modern turbo engines like the TT RS's run 1.2 bar on 10:1 because of the direct injection.

[/quote']

Hang on. FSI engines that are normally aspirated run at 12:1... think like that Kia advert....

10!!!!!!

10!!! IS DEFINITELY LOWER THAN 12!!!!

So that'll be lowered compression then? ;)

[blockquote][/blockquote]Haha no way I am doing a national diploma in aerospace, in my second year, where do you work? And my project is to produce around 300hp[blockquote][/blockquote]

you can get 300hp with a good charger setup,you'll have to use a small turbo to get a low max figure of 300hp with a turbo but as the experts told me you dont want it spooling too early coz you'll run out of boost early,plus the gearbox could be an issue

Hang on. FSI engines that are normally aspirated run at 12:1... think like that Kia advert....

10!!!!!!

Well done, I see you have a basic grasp of mathematics.

You fail to mention turbo engines of the 70s/80s ran 8:1 or lower compression, so 10:1 and 1.2 bar is still high compression for a turbo engine. And VR6 turbos are often 8.5:1 or 9:1, which is lower than 10!!!!!!

[blockquote][/blockquote]tyranneous wrote ...

10!!!!!!

So that'll be lowered compression then?

Well done, I see you have a basic grasp of mathematics.

You fail to mention turbo engines of the 70s/80s ran 8:1 or lower compression, so 10:1 and 1.2 bar is still high compression for a turbo engine. And VR6 turbos are often 8.5:1 or 9:1, which is lower than 10!!!!!! [blockquote][/blockquote]

now now :-d

Lowering the compression ratio is purely to prevent detonation' date=' but is now a legacy of old technology :D

[/quote']

nice way to introduce your self to the club lol

10!!!!!!

a nice 1st post welcome to the club lol

[/quote']

I believe you said lowering. You've gotta start somewhere to go lower anyway. Semantics, possibly, but you're still wrong. It also kinda points that it's not a legacy of old technology - otherwise TFSI wouldn't be lower than NA FSI, would it?

Calico - I've been around a while, and I know people on the face-to-face network. ;)

First post on here, that's true. I like to enter with a finally tuned 12.3:1, rather than a *BANG* or cracked exhaust manifold. :)

I'd also like to point out that post count != knowledge. There's a fair few folk who seem to think otherwise.

Also from my user panel thing, this is my join date:

Sun Oct 14 2007, 11:34PM

2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 5 days, 24 minutes, 58 seconds ago

Way I figure it, it's like poker. Observe first, know what you're doing, learn about the people you play with... then when you're ready, post to the forum and tell someone they're wrong. Something like that, anyway. ;)

Way I figure it' date=' it's like poker. Observe first, know what you're doing, learn about the people you play with... then when you're ready, post to the forum and tell someone they're wrong. Something like that, anyway. ;)

[/quote']

that seems like the perfect way to come accross as an arse tbh, why don't you try and be helpful, explain where someone has gone wrong rather than trying to make people look silly ?? using lots of exclamation marks and caps doesn't help make your point seem constructive either

Way I figure it' date=' it's like poker. Observe first, know what you're doing, learn about the people you play with... then when you're ready, post to the forum and tell someone they're wrong. Something like that, anyway. ;)

[/quote']

that seems like the perfect way to come accross as an arse tbh, why don't you try and be helpful, explain where someone has gone wrong rather than trying to make people look silly ?? using lots of exclamation marks and caps doesn't help make your point seem constructive either

Dude, I think you missed the point. Have you seen the advert?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHAZhj1s4FE

[/quote']

that seems like the perfect way to come across as an arse tbh, why don't you try and be helpful, explain where someone has gone wrong rather than trying to make people look silly ?? using lots of exclamation marks and caps doesn't help make your point seem constructive either

Dude, I think you missed the point. Have you seen the advert?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHAZhj1s4FE

lol im not surprised he missed the point dude. kev was simply saying that as engines have become more refined as far as the fueling and mapping side of things go the higher compression you can get away with without det. although 10.1 is lower than a FSI engine is pritty much the same as a standard VR6. and to run 20 psi though a standard VR6 most would think is madness

well after some lengthy negotiation i've struck a deal for some 550cc ev14 bosch injectors from efi components (us) for $360 inc postage,is it a good deal or not?

http://www.eficomponents.com/

parts so far:

t70 turbo

t3 turbo manifold

38mm wastegate

hks blow off valve

de-compression plate 2.0

head gasket kit

neuspeed 77 degree thermostat

oil,turbo boost,afr gauges

three hole gauge holder

36" oil feed & return lines

upper chain guide

arp head studs

bosch EV14 550cc injectors - provisionally bought

walbro 255 inline fuel pump

hnc in mechanical engineering' date=' i work in the aerospace industry and just finished my apprentiship.

[/quote']

Haha no way' date=' I am doing a national diploma in aerospace, in my second year, where do you work? And my project is to produce around 300hp :)

[/quote']

even bigger no way...im an aerospace design engineer!! :P weird!

Also from my user panel thing' date=' this is my join date:

Sun Oct 14 2007, 11:34PM

2 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 5 days, 24 minutes, 58 seconds ago

Way I figure it, it's like poker. Observe first, know what you're doing, learn about the people you play with... then when you're ready, post to the forum and tell someone they're wrong. Something like that, anyway. ;)

[/quote']

this sort of attitude will get you no where... we're a friendly bunch... lets not ruin that eh?