Whats your opinion about the Golf R32?

My Evo would go in any gear, it certainly didn't ever feel slow ;)

I find if anything the power's more usable as you don't have to rev the arse off it, you just plant it and very quickly find the Red line....... in the VR6 for instance the gears feel really long

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drove a track prep'd bug eye. Just seemed lame below about 3k and was flat as a pancake above 4500rpm. This was all my own personal experience, i'm not saying they're all like that, and i certainly ain't wanting to cause any arguments. Perhaps my VR really is that good............ ;)

I thought the R32 was pretty good when I drove one - I'd have one ! Only thing was I thought my old VR had more soul. Bizzare statement I know but it just has - you know what i mean.

Wouldn't buy Japanese - they are cheaper for a reason - just project that a couple of years further on - R32 or S3 I reckon.

I drove a track prep'd bug eye. Just seemed lame below about 3k and was flat as a pancake above 4500rpm. This was all my own personal experience' date=' i'm not saying they're all like that, and i certainly ain't wanting to cause any arguments. Perhaps my VR really is that good............ ;) [/quote']

aha...that'll be why, it's a fettled one. road versions don't really have any lag. it's like that top gear evo, the ones that are mega fast have always been tuned in a way that creates lag. sorry, didn't mean to sound moody...just a friendly discussion :). think you'd be very surprised if you took a road version for a test drive ;). just for reference i drove a '01 bug eye, and a '99 early style one.

i found the scoob was effortless to drive fast' date=' certainly a lot easier than the vr6.[/quote']

have u driven an R32 though?

no i haven't, i'm sure its very good and has a lot of developement compared to out mkIII vr6's...but its still a hell of a lot of money for a vw though, at the mo. just to clarify, i wasn't comparing the scoob to a R32 by the way, i was just saying they don't need winding up unlike our (non-schricked) vr's.

some people prefer cars that need winding up though....can't understand it myself for a road car.

The Scoob is available in two flavours, the WRX and STi. The STi has loads of lag but a massive kick in the back when the boost arrives. The WRX has less lag, is more refined and easier to drive, but is not as quick.

Neither have the low-down pull of a VR6, but it is only a 2.0 4-cylinder engine pulling a much heavier car at the end of the day. Even the WRX has to be revved to get the best out of it.

As for the R32, I would love one if it weren't for the high prices. You can't get a decent one for less than £18k at the moment. As soon as the Mk5 R36 comes out (next year possibly), the prices are gonna plummet to the £11-12k mark. I'm not sure I could take that kind of depreciation hit.

Wait for the prices to come down a bit, then get one. Even VW themselves have been surprised at how many horses can be liberated from the R32 engine after tuning. 450BHP+ is possible with forced induction, giving you the potential to own one of the fastest Golfs ever to grace the tarmac!

[ Edited Tue Jan 18 2005, 06:20PM ]

Read an interesting thread on scoobynet the other day. Quite a few were keen to 'grow up' (in their eyes) and upgrade to an R32. I think they were driving the newer imprezas too.

I really like the classic impreza though, the WRX classic i drove REALLY impressed me, and considering they only cost circa 5K, 18K for a R32 seems daft!

HOLD THE PRESS - you can get vauxhall monaros for £23' date='500 already...weren't they supposed to be £35k? give it a few months and they'll be £15k and they'll be the obvious choice for people in R32/scoob territory![/quote']

i thought id seen a cpl at that price that is 1 car id swap vr for

i really like em :D

Just a question. I don't know exactly and don't want a nasty reply (christ, i've bought some shit in my time too thats cost me soo much to repair i could have bought something i actually wanted with the same money), but there seems to be a lot of problems for someone who actually wants a completely different car.

unbelievable that someone should admit that! I'm sure with the amount you've had to spend on repairs to yours a Scooby wouldn't have been far off! ;)

i think you must think i've spent more than i have...in total i'm at about £5k on the vr6, inc buying it....now thats a lot less than a '97 on scoob (and i dont like earlier ones).

and just to clarify...i do like my vr6, it just frustrates me sometimes...the winding up bit is the only real thing i dislike about the cars performance, but its not that bad. maybe i give you guys the wrong impression, or maybe you misunderstand me. just do us a favour and don't judeg me when you don't know me.

unbelievable that someone should admit that! I'm sure with the amount you've had to spend on repairs to yours a Scooby wouldn't have been far off! ;)

i think you must think i've spent more than i have...in total i'm at about £5k on the vr6' date=' inc buying it....now thats a lot less than a '97 on scoob (and i dont like earlier ones).

and just to clarify...i do like my vr6, it just frustrates me sometimes...the winding up bit is the only real thing i dislike about the cars performance, but its not that bad. maybe i give you guys the wrong impression, or maybe you misunderstand me. just do us a favour and don't judeg me when you don't know me.[/quote']

andrew u would LOVE a schrick its gives the car SERIOUS mud range shove the flat spot is now 4-5k rpm cuz i dont have cams lol