• 4 weeks later...

Looks like I'm going to need a Ford bit too, but mine looks different to the others I've seen on here - no diaphram - is there a different part number for obd1 engines?

breather.jpg

Also does anyone know the name/part number of the plastic box (4 x 3 x 1 inch ish) at the very top of the breather pipes as mine is cracked, (not shown in pic), and could its failure result in oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold?

(Yes that is fuel pipe being used instead of breather as I had some left over from replacing the fuel pipes8-))

you can just stick one of these on...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Breather-Filter-15mm-Oil-Crankcase-Air-Small-B-/270470473328?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ef94be670

and block the pipe coming from the air filter pipe. not sure thats the right size so measure it first!

i didnt do this myself as i bought an original from a forum member but my mate has done this on his vr6 and its fine.

Looks like I'm going to need a Ford bit too' date=' but mine looks different to the others I've seen on here - no diaphram - is there a different part number for obd1 engines?

[img']http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv296/DeePaignall/breather.jpg

Also does anyone know the name/part number of the plastic box (4 x 3 x 1 inch ish) at the very top of the breather pipes as mine is cracked, (not shown in pic), and could its failure result in oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold?

(Yes that is fuel pipe being used instead of breather as I had some left over from replacing the fuel pipes8-))

does this type have a sensor in it as mine has a black plug going to it but no terminals inside is this normal

Also does anyone know the name/part number of the plastic box (4 x 3 x 1 inch ish) at the very top of the breather pipes as mine is cracked' date=' (not shown in pic), and could its failure result in oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold?

[/quote']

that's a silencer for the ISV. shouldn't cause an oil drip as the pipework comes off the inlet before the PCV. With a bit of inginutiry it can be removed by moving the pipework around.

• 2 weeks later...

are the ford parts exactly the same?

The garage fitted a catch tank (bit of a pikey job but still).

Is it worth buying a proper catch tank with a breather filter on and blocking up the other block?

The catch tank thats on now has a little but of oil in it, not alot but some.

• 2 weeks later...

Update to my breather pipe problem.

Tried the galaxy/sharan method but got a completely different pipe to the one that was split on mine.

Went to my vw independent and ordered this which is a direct replacement.

breather2.jpg

Part number 021103493A BREATHER HOSE

£16.85 + VAT.

For earlier models (mines a '93) it looks like there is a different part.

2 Minutes to fit and no more nasty niffs.