[poll] DEBT! We all have it in some form....

folks don't mean to preach here...

It is good to have a minimal amount for your credit rating. The ability to make regular payments to your credit card is part of your credit worthyness...

So get a card and keep £20-£50 pounds on it. Then pay minimum monthlys.... then clear anything you do buy month by month save, of course, the minimum amount you decide upon.

For those who are looking to get mortgages etc then you need to show a history of being able to do this kind of payment... Depending upon who you go through and how much you want for such services then your last 5 years are usually a minimum level through to your entire lifes credit history

No History ...

No or limited credit rating...

It pays to have a managed level of Debt....

I have an overdraft of 1k but that isnt a problem, i had a 1.5k loan at 18 i paid that off within 2 years and i have a mobile phone contract iv had since 18 and never missed a payment and car insurance for 7 years on monthly payment and never missed that either....

I have the banks trying to force money down my neck, but i hold off cuz i am just about getting by!! haha.

I dont have a single dept at present. just 95k mortgage as I put 10k deposit down on my house and supporting a family of 4.

£150 overdraft limit.

Had a loan of 6.8k for my first Golf VR6 and Schrick VGI inlet manifold.

Loaned 1.5k off nigel for when I crashed my car at the Nurburgring so I could pay my fine off and be allowed to have the paperwork for my car back.

I paid off the last of my loans before buying my house last year, as I was made redundant from my last job and got a cushty payout.

I've never owned a credit card.

If you dont have the means to run up a debt, you wont get into dept... not having a massive overdraft, credit cards do help you manage your money better, and a decent job always goes down well!!

This thread is quite interesting actually.

My debt consists of a £1,750 loan that I got out last year to go towards my first VR6. Then got a small credit card with a £500 limit, didnt really intend on using it until I lost my job early in the year and lived off of it which was a bad idea!

I was planning on topping up my loan after xmas this year for another £3k which would fund my Schrick investment, but considering I managed to save up just over £1k in 2 months, Im just trying to save up now as much as I can instead of getting into more debt.

I always pay my insurance monthly which is usually around £110 for the VR6 but Ive been told this doesnt affect your credit rating in any way because it is not a fixed loan agreement.