vrt 440 bhp back on the road. 2 g/boxes and 1 brand ne gt3076r later

hi all, im back on the road with my vr6 turbo. after breaking two gearboxes, now i have a super strong strenghtened and shotpeaned o2a box (thanks to sparks) , and the poor old turbo gave up the ghost too. so taking advantage of the very weak dollar i got a brand new garrett gt3076r sent over, the original housing was .63 the new one is 106, so 43mm bigger, all the boost comes in very late due to this bigger housing taking so long to spool up, plus points are it is now a very user friendly drive,very graduall untill your going too fast allready then whack, it just takes off like a jet. the standard speedo needs to have more numbers on it (lol) . im wondering how to use this new gentle approach to the 1/4 mile and will i be 3/4 of the way down the strip before big boost (ie crap times) i still have the old smaller housing which can be re fitted but spins the 1/4 start to finish (last spinning 1/4 was 13.3). there is a .82 housing on the market and i think maybe this is the one for me if my wish of low 11`s is going to happen. the .82 being the difference between viscious spinning and later power, should i hope be the ticket to my best strip times . also really cleaned up the engine bay with heat wrap new pipe work, fuel lines, de grease running gear. new top mounts. and a good polish of the chrome wheels and engine bits. real good cleaning and new polished clamps to all boost pipes . and lots of knuckle skin lost on the way (3 plasters and seven swear words) and i will ask my friend with his blinding camera to take some pictures to post on here.( id only take crap ones)

ps. anyone thinking of turbo`ing a vr6. do it, just do it. 2 gtr skylines, rari 430 scuderia, new m5, the yammy r6 that blew its engine trying to catch the little mk3 golf and many many more all found out why . vr6 turbo power theres no other lump that gives 400+ bhp so cost effectively and comes with the vee dubya badge so its gonna last too.

one love.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks all for nice comments. got new toyo t1s today. after a long conversation on triple 8`s only to find they will not fit my in my arches ,then toyo t1r`s being too hard a compound. but i went from 195`s to 215`s (stretch look to mass overhang) big traction i hope, but only done 4 miles home so far , 50 more to scrub in and i will feel the benefit. pics to soon come.

one love

Sounds phat mate,

I'm running 400 BHP in a mk II vrt, I have a Greedy Boost controller in mine which alows you play play with boost consisitancey and where it come onto boost. I have a GT32 garret and after playing with the controller mine spools at around 2.5 k. Maybe an investment to cure the lag mate :)

I'm running no LSD so traction is an issue. Thr greedy alows you to set 2 banks of settings in memory and you can buy a remote to switch bewteen the 2. My 2 banks are 13 PSI and 18psi. With the remote you can switch between the 2 banks and use one for low gear and one for high.

I'm still on my first box ( vr o2a) but it has started making a tapping noise in 3rd upwards only when the gas pedal is pressed really hoping it is not on teh way out. what happened to your 2 when they were gone or going?

ghettovr you will lose 3rd gear soon, im sorry but it will happen. get a replacement gearbox asap and fit it . £150 now, against a whole lot more + headache later.i have broke 2 boxes and its no fun. do it now pal. i use an apexi boost contoller and have many settings mainly 3 (0.5/1.0/1.5 bar) it was all set up for the smaller housing so i need to play a little to suit my needs.

if you cant afford a peloquin or quaife lsd then there is a company called obx (usa) £299 and there good for 700hp,(see fleabay) the dollar is silly weak against the £ at the mo so you will get a great deal. one of my boxes had one fitted and it handelled 450 hp no problem. better still buy a box that has been done by someone else and has a lsd fitted and save some tears and swearing and just bolt it on. there are a few strong boxes on here for grabs. as a rule i have found that the gearbox is the thing that causes most problems on vrt`s and 3rd gear will always go first.

hope this helps

one love

ben, i thought this too but my odd size wheels and silly low arches would not allow the 888`s that would fit the rim to be used. (27 mm taller) the first thing i asked for was 888`s he did lots of calculations and said no. i take his word as he is in the tyre buisness for 20 odd years and races at pod in his own car for 15 years. if he says no then who am i to argue.

er, raise your car then .888 toyo in a 195/50/15 size are 195/50/15's . they'd end up narking off half of there very tire rich market.

i know that dunlop race slick and the suchlike are different, as they are not classifide in traditional sizes

it seems im fighting a losing battle here. an expert put tyres up against the wheel looked inside the arches did lots of calculator tapping and said no to 888`s they cost more than the t1r`s ??? so i really dont know if it was the wide wheels or the fibreglass wings or relating to the camber setting. i just dont know!!!!! if you have last septembers the golf magazine have a look at how it sits at the front, that may explain things . or try awsomegti.com click rolling road and see the top ten cars,click on vr6 turbo and you can see the car on a video when it was just completed (running 422hp) . i really dont know why , i just drive it, maybe the experts on here can tell me. :)

well, 888's do cost more, but then you get alot more grip, so i suspose you get what you pay for. maybe is your ride height, but tbh yours dont look much different to mine. maybe ask to borrow a 15?" wheel from someone that has a 888 195/50/15 on it and trail fit it ?

hey jim, trying to find a wheel to fit custom hubs and adapted porsche brakes, has been a joke. sometimes i wish it was standard . not really only joking, but my first thought was to get two drag slicks just to run at pod,but finding small wheels to take big slicks and get them to fit over my brakes proved harder than i thought. bearing in mind it stands me over ten large allready. i cant go buying everything i see , so these will do for now.

Ah ok, not heard of that boost controller, on mine I use set gain to determin when it starts to spool and after setting it up on the move have got it to where i want it. I'm sure yours has gain set gain etc? Thanks for tha advice about the gearbox, have sent you a pm so not to hijack your thread :)